Constructive Critismn on Setup

bkall4u

Well everyone I've been reading this fourm for almost a year now listening to everyones advise on all different subjects... The more I read the more I have been wanting a Reef of my Own. Woo-Hoo Peice by Peice I have slowly bought each part and am almost done. The Tank is now almost fully cycled and it's time to get going. Here is what I have your opinions and suggestions are very much apperciated.
65Gallon, Acrylic, Uni-Aquarium
80lbs-LS-ALL Natures Ocean (expensive)-the stuff that has water in the bag 3-5inches DSB
55lbs-Live Fiji Rock
JBJ 65X4 PC
My next purchases within the next week or two will be The Venturi Skimmer that fits in the back of the Uni-Aquarium. Then I would like to start with some shrooms to see how they do and 2 baby's Perc's. In the hopes of one day having a mating pair.
This tank has been my inspriation for a very long time and really means a lot that I have finally been able to do it so I want to do everything right! Thanks so much for all your posts and giving me the knowledge and courage to invest in my own setup!!!

iechy

I would get some more live sand from an established tank also. The stuff in the bag is full of beneficial bacteria and stuff but I don't think it has the good worms etc. that you might get from another tank. I would put in what you have and just dump maybe 5 pounds of new stuff on top.

T

thomas712

WOW lurking for almost a year, thought I saw someone hidding in the shadows.
Sounds like you have done some window shopping and reaserch, I pretty much did the same thing before setting up my 90 gallon, and took about a year. Then everything I had in my 55 wet over to the 90.
I would like to know what Bang is asking, also would like to recommend you bring the amout of live rock up a little, maybe another 50 pounds would be good, just a suggestion. Is the rock and sandbed your main forms of filtration other than the future skimmer purchase. If so then Bang Guy is right in trying to find out what your water flow is, good water flow will be important feature to getting the rock and sand to filter well.
Thomas

bkall4u

Thanks a lot guys, I did forget to mention that I have two other small powerheads in the tank rio400 and I don't know the name of the other one. One is in the middle and one on the far side, then there is the pump in the back that sprays in two directions. It also has bio-balls for added filtration, Its getting crowed with the rock and I was hoping my fish would have somewhere to swim hehe :) 50lbs Still isn't enough? Great idea about the sand, I'll see if my LFS will sell me some from a tank, none of my buddies are into this hobby.