Contest shows? or Reality TV.

scotts

OK not really sure what to call them, I for one HATE with a passion some of the BS that is on TV now, however in keeping with my "trying to keep things positive" which this site needs more of, I have to tell you I am a sucker for what can be called contest shows. One I found last night would interest some people on here. It is on The History Channel and it is called Top Shot, They have 16 people broken up into two teams and it involves different shooting challenges. I did not see it all because it was after my bedtime, but I recorded it.
Another one I love is Big Break on the Golf channel, although I think they messed that one up this year and they are voting off people this year instead of having a challenge at the end of the show to see who goes home. We just started watching that one a couple years ago, so when we get to see an old season it is new to us.
The Amazing Race is a great show, I am glad they keep renewing that one. My son likes to MC the show while it is going on so that makes us like the show even more.
So come on, fess up, what shows can you add to this list.

flower

LOL...Is a judge show a reality TV show?
I like "would would you like to be a millionaire" and "I'm smarter than a fifth grader." I'm a sucker for testing my trivial knowledge, but I don’t seek these shows out. I only watch if I happen to see them on.
I do seek Judge Judy, and The people’s court out. Golf, and anything with golf in it..gag me with a spoon. Hey, those wrestler looking contestants, going through an obstacle course for a prize is interesting to watch sometimes.

yearofthenick

IF you get a chance, check out "Pawn Stars" on History channel. It's a family who own a pawn shop in Vegas and it's hilarious... It's at "American Chopper" status, but almost more funny. Plus, you get to learn about the values of things and what's still out there. A guy brought in a sword from the civil war... stuff like that. Awesome to see.

meowzer

Judge Judy...what a hoot!!!!! You couldn't pay me enough money to go on that show and be treated liek she treats some people.....
I dislike TV these days MORE AND MORE......SORRY SCOTT.....I can't think of anything positive to say about any shows at the moment :(

flower

Originally Posted by YearOfTheNick
http:///forum/post/3278574
IF you get a chance, check out "Pawn Stars" on History channel. It's a family who own a pawn shop in Vegas and it's hilarious... It's at "American Chopper" status, but almost more funny. Plus, you get to learn about the values of things and what's still out there. A guy brought in a sword from the civil war... stuff like that. Awesome to see.

Sounds allot like that show about stuff you can find in your attic...I don't remember the name. I liked it though.

dragonzim

Pawn Stars is great!
I tried watching Top Shot and while the shooting parts of it are really cool the whole thing with making the guys share a house and all the fake drama that ensues is just too much for me.

mrdc

I don’t like reality shows at all. I do watch Top Shot and Pawn Stars from time to time. In all honestly, I watch a lot of reruns on my dvr of Law and Order, NCIS, Married with Children, Futurama (news shows starting soon .. woohoo), Lock Up, Cops, Family Feud and Criminal Minds. My 9yo likes to watch the feud with me. I sort of like trivia shows but now I get my trivia fix on the internet. There are sites where you can play against people for as long as you want. I have never watched dancing with the stars, survivor, keeping up with the kardashians, jersey shore, …. Just can’t do it!!

mrdc

Originally Posted by DragonZim
http:///forum/post/3278579
the whole thing with making the guys share a house and all the fake drama that ensues is just too much for me.
That is what I don't like. I like extreme marksman much better. It just showcases guys that can make amazing shots.

scotts

I have seen Pawn Stars, it is pretty good. Some things I think, why are you taking that to a pawn shop and not an auction? Although they do seem to be willing to pay out some big $$$
How long has this Top shot been on? Last night was the first time I saw it and it was the second show of the season.
You all are reminding me, there is a show where guys go out to these people that have acres of land stuffed with "stuff" and try and buy some of it. It is cool to watch to see what people will have tucked away in their basements.
MRDC, Married with Children is a great show!!!

aquaknight

There is 'Expedition Great White' on NatGeo. They catch, bring 'em up on a deck, tag 'em, and release Great White sharks. They have Paul Walker as one of the deckhands, which is entertaining.
I have all the Top Shots on the DVR, haven't gotten around to them yet. But yea, other then Pawn Stars/American Pickers, there isn't much in the way of new shows. Viewing my upcoming record list, there a new Mythbusters, and new Man vs. Food on Wednesday. Tosh.O on Wednesday as well, and The Soup on Friday, but those aren't for everyone...
Scott did you watch Modern Family? It was new this spring, but you can watch all the episodes on Hulu. Great show.

scotts

OK check this out, I was making dinner tonight and put on Pawn Stars! They had a commercial for American Pickers which was the show I was trying to think if earlier.

AK, Modern Family is freakin hilarious! We read one review about it that said the one dad thought that WTF would stand for Why the Face?! There was one episode where Ed O'Neil was grumpy and I thought it was just like his character in Married with Children. (You can see that on Hulu in case you have not seen that show young'un
)

stdreb27

I've always though reality shows were dumb. Like survivor, and just about every thing else. But then i got to thinking, what is on my DVR. Deadliest Catch, Storm Chasers, Ice Road Truckers, Swamp loggers, Kitchen Nightmares, and it dawned on me, I watch a lot of reality television, and they're my favorite shows on TV.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by Scotts
http:///forum/post/3278705
AK, Modern Family is freakin hilarious! We read one review about it that said the one dad thought that WTF would stand for Why the Face?! There was one episode where Ed O'Neil was grumpy and I thought it was just like his character in Married with Children. (You can see that on Hulu in case you have not seen that show young'un
)
I remember growing up, on Friday/Sat. nights we would usually camp out in the living/tv room instead of going off to bed. Everyone usually crashed earlier, but I usually stayed up later. I remember catching re-airs of MwC a few times
That tilted yellow stamp logo, that turns to green slime... Of course, I was 11 when the series ended in 1997.

S

shrimpy brains

Here's what some might think extreme. I am so dissappointed with what's on tv, that I ditched my service. I still have a tv, and will occassionally rent a movie, but will no longer pay $80 a month for nothing.
I will admit that my sister records House and Flash Forward on her DVR and I go watch them with her on the weekend. The season has ended for both of those now, so in a few months, maybe we'll do it again.
Bottom line......I haven't had tv in about a year, and don't miss it one bit!!

bionicarm

Originally Posted by Shrimpy Brains
http:///forum/post/3278746
Here's what some might think extreme. I am so dissappointed with what's on tv, that I ditched my service. I still have a tv, and will occassionally rent a movie, but will no longer pay $80 a month for nothing.
I will admit that my sister records House and Flash Forward on her DVR and I go watch them with her on the weekend. The season has ended for both of those now, so in a few months, maybe we'll do it again.
Bottom line......I haven't had tv in about a year, and don't miss it one bit!!
Not Flash Forward. I read they cancelled that series.

bionicarm

I channel surf every night and swear I can never find ANYTHING worth watching for more than 5 minutes at a time. I found some channel called TruTV that is nothing but reality shows as far as I can tell. The shows I've seen are Operacion Repo, All Worked Up, and Bait Car. Operacion Repo is based on a group of Auto Repossesors in South/East LA. They get slapped, beat up, and even tasered trying to repossess these cars. All Worked Up has this Deep Voiced Barry White-type that serves legal papers, and these hillbilly Arkansas Rednecks that also do repossessions. Bait Car is where the cops setup this car for someone to steal, let them take it, and when they get a ways down the road, they do the OnStar-style shutdown, then lock the doors so they can't get out. There's cameras inside the car filming these idiots as they try to figure out what went wrong. The shows are somewhat comical, and beat watching Glee, The Bachelorette, or So You Think You Can Dance any day of the week.

dragonzim

Originally Posted by bionicarm
http:///forum/post/3278748
Not Flash Forward. I read they cancelled that series.
Yeah, they cancelled it. It was the only show on TV these days that actually made you think and wasnt geared towards the typical reality show watching idiots out there in mainstream America.

bionicarm

http:///forum/post/3278752
Yeah, they cancelled it. It was the only show on TV these days that actually made you think and wasnt geared towards the typical reality show watching idiots out there in mainstream America.
Try watching Persons Unknown on NBC on Monday nights. It's about this group of people who are kidnapped and placed in this remote town out in the middle of nowhere. 'Someone' watches them constantly with remote cameras, and if they try to leave the town, they are either shocked by an invisible barrier, or drugged with some type of knock-out serum. It has a pretty decent plot line, and even has a Twilight Zone feel to it.

stdreb27

http:///forum/post/3278752
I'm like 5 episodes behind on hulu... I did like V a lot...