controlling xenia growth...

I have some good heads of xenia growing and I am wondering how to best control where they grow. They seem to be gravitating towards the top of the tank near the light and they are gettting close to the hang on fliter. I dont want them to attach to it cause I take it out regularly to clean. They are currently in a position that wont allow rock to be placed to attach. Any suggestions on how to head towards a new direction?

nm reef

I don't know if it'll help in your situation....but I keep my xenia under control by surrounding my colony with some agressive LPS corals. Mine also grew towards the top of my reef and expanded quick...there is a large green bubble...a fox and a torch coral that keep any new growth at bay. Plus the LPS corals don't really damage the xenia...just seems to prevent additional expansion.:cool:

rsd

I agree. My frogspawn has stopped my xenia from spreading out to 2 sides... Now the xenia are actually just releasing individual polyps... like a dandylion seed.... into the water. I have 12 1-2 polyp colonies all over my tank.
The best methode I have found to keeping the xenia in check... buy a long spine urchin. He halted the growth entirely. Doubled in size and was worth more in trade back to the lfs than when I bought him.

bang guy

Originally posted by LubbockFishDude
I dont want them to attach to it [filter] cause I take it out regularly to clean.

Actually, this sounds perfect. Let them attach then scrape them off when you clean the filter.
I use a combination of small rocks and mushrooms. When the grow on the rocks I can lift the rock and remove the Xenia in large sheets for nutrient export.