converting freshwater tank to salt

mauler

m just getting in to saltwater I have a 135 gallon freshwater tank setup right now I'm waiting to sell off the last of my fish. Then I will be converting to saltwater with only fish and live rock I just wanted to know what things I can still use when I do switch it mainly I need to know about filtration.
The fish I want to keep are,
1x snowflake eel
1x antenna lionfish
1x humu rectangle trigger
1x lieutenant tang
Is this combination going to work and what kind of filtration and stuff would I need thanks

trigger40

i would go with a 70 gallon sump with protein skimmer, algea scraper and a refugium for the main filtration then, two powerheads and a wave maker or two with a hundred or so pounds of live rock and live sand to go with everything els. and i think your bio load is a lot for that size tank with all those big fish IMO.

mauler

Really I thought my bio load would be kind of low since it's only 4 fish? And that's a lot of stuff so basically my filters I'm using now I should just get rid of?

trigger40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauler http:///t/397664/converting-freshwater-tank-to-salt#post_3545231
Really I thought my bio load would be kind of low since it's only 4 fish? And that's a lot of stuff so basically my filters I'm using now I should just get rid of?
yes its only 4 fish but 4 large fish. with a sump you should be ok. and if you want a truly stable tank you will need a sump sistem fo a aquarium of your size. and what kind of stuff do you have on your fresh tank?

geridoc

Lion fish and aggressive triggers make especially poor tank mates - the trigger will nip the lion's fins until either the lion dies, or the trigger dies after becoming impaled in the lion's fins. While 4 fish may sound like a small bioload, it looks like you are headed for an aggressive tank, and they are messy eaters. Finally, forget the uv sterilizer, it doesn't do anything. An algae scrubber (not a "scrapper") could help if the bioload gets very high.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauler http:///t/397664/converting-freshwater-tank-to-salt#post_3545210
m just getting in to saltwater I have a 135 gallon freshwater tank setup right now I'm waiting to sell off the last of my fish. Then I will be converting to saltwater with only fish and live rock I just wanted to know what things I can still use when I do switch it mainly I need to know about filtration.
The fish I want to keep are,
1x snowflake eel
1x antenna lionfish
1x humu rectangle trigger
1x lieutenant tang
Is this combination going to work and what kind of filtration and stuff would I need thanks

Hi,

Welcome to the site. What equipment do you already have that's on the FW tank?

[*]Instead of air bubble lines, you will need power heads...air lines create too much salt creep. There is less oxygen in the saltwater then fresh so water movement is important.
[*]You can keep you same filtration, if you have a sump, HOB, or canister system, the only one you can't keep are the under gravel types.
[*]You need sand instead of gravel
Make sure you get rock suited for SW.
No lid, the top needs to be open
....that means switching to T5 lighting for fish only systems, that hangs or has legs, not the one that is in the hood.
You need RO (reverse osmosis) water, your own unit is best, Walmart sells it for 37 cents a gallon.

You also need to have a mixing container, I use a NEW never before used large plastic garbage can (mark it fish only) Churn the salt in RO (reverse osmosis) water 24 hours before using it, with a utility pump or small power head.

mauler

I have two HOB filters and lots of live plants that help filter but isnt live rock and sand the saltwater equivalent of live plants? And about the sump how would I go about making one and would a 40 or 45 gallon tank work cause I can't fit a 70 in my stand I also have air stone and pump can that pump be used on the protein skimmer?

mauler

So the tang and eel will be ok together? And what of I picked either the trigger or the lion would that work?

mauler

Is there any particular sand I need from I've read I need live sand or agronite not sure if I spelt that right?

trigger40

yes a 40g sump will work i would just go as big as you can with the sump to give you more water to work with. and i would not call plants the equivalent to live rock. live rock comes with so many critters its hard to keep count. not only do they come with the benefishal bacteria they come with pods, bristtle worms, ect. for filtration i would go both HOB and sump if thats what you want to do. and i would pick the trigger because ther personality cant be beat and they are always active and they are quite intelligent.

mauler

What are pods and bristtle worm are they good? And if the HOB filters and a sump would work for the 3 of them then I'll do that with the protein skimmer and power heads

hookem0981

You should consider getting a GFO/Carbon Reactor.. It can help keep the phosphates down thus reducing algae. Your list looks good and I agree if you add 30-40 gallons of sump.. also consider atleast 1 1/2 pounds of live rock per gallon.. Let the tank mature for 6 months before adding anything.. Trust me when I say that.. Also when you go buy these fish.. Get the least aggressive first.. and only add 1 every two to three weeks minimum.. Keep on top of testing your water for Nitrates/Nitrites. You want your tank to biologically mature by not introducing too much bio load at once.

IMHO biological capacity isn't only about the amount of water, but the amount of natural substrate such as sand/live rock that maintain healthy bacteria to successfully break down fish and food..
Things you can do to control waste.. GFO/Carbon reactor, Protein Skimmer (I like Octopus Reef and ASM), miracle mud in sump

Saltwater is certainly a new ballgame.. I've made many mistakes and costly ones.. it takes a lot of money. so don't try to save money by spending money on junk.

trigger40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauler http:///t/397664/converting-freshwater-tank-to-salt#post_3545256
What are pods and bristtle worm are they good? And if the HOB filters and a sump would work for the 3 of them then I'll do that with the protein skimmer and power heads
pods(copepods) are like litle crustaceans that come out at night and fish love to eat em. and bristle worms are scarry looking little worm like things that are great for keeping your tank clean. and it looks like you got a good plan for your tank.

mauler

Out of the fish I have listed which one would be the least aggressive? And about the sump how do you set one up? And what is miracle mud?

hookem0981

snowflake eel first... even though tangs get along well with non-tangs.. they can be a bit territorial to other species.. So I would add the tang last.

mauler

Alright and I'm still lost as to how you set up a sump I know you put glass walls in it but what else goes into a good sump?