converting freshwater tank to salt

mauler

Then is there something I should put in its place? And when you first fill the tank does it need to be filled with nothing but reverse osmosis water?

mauler

And theres no kind of water conditioner that removes all that stuff and if I use RODI water do I even need water conditioner?

geridoc

And theres no kind of water conditioner that removes all that stuff and if I use RODI water do I even need water conditioner? No water conditioner can replace RODI. Those faucet water purifiers are only carbon filters that remone objectionable taste and smell, but don't purify to the level you need.

mauler

Alright then I'll look into a good RODI system and does that mean I don't even need water conditioner?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauler http:///t/397664/converting-freshwater-tank-to-salt/120#post_3545638
Should I get live sand or is live rock enough?

Hi,

With your own RODI system you don't need a conditioner. You don't HAVE to have live rock or sand, as long as you have rock and sand...it's "enough"...but the more live
you have, the better it is for a healthy stable system. So if you can afford live reef sand, and live rock...go for it.

mauler

Im planning to start with 20-30lbs of live rock and build it up over time and can I mix live sand with some other sand

geridoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauler http:///t/397664/converting-freshwater-tank-to-salt/120#post_3545640
Im planning to start with 20-30lbs of live rock and build it up over time and can I mix live sand with some other sand
That's fine, just be sure to cycle properly, and leave several weeks between fish addition since you will be a little light on lr. Subsequent additions of rock should not be lr, IMHO. You run the risk of having die-off in the rock, which leads to ammonia spikes. Instead, later additions can be what is called "base rock", but is really just dry, dead rock. It will become live over time.

mauler

Im in no rush to add fish I want to take it slow and try to get everything right. And I don't get it how would the rick "die"?

2quills

Ph of a reef tank is maintained a little bit high to begin with. Limestone or any other calcareois rock would help buffer the system from rapid swings/drops in ph.