Cooking rock to rid mojano

jb rekit

Got some mojano on some LR a few yrs ago and now it is all over the tank. Rubbing up against the base of corals etc.
My plan is to take out all the rock that doesn't have coral on it and put it in trash cans with the lid on to keep it dark. Then put the clean rock back in the tank and try to remove/ frag all of my corals onto the new rock and repeat the process with that rock.
I've thought about putting a piece of plastic or something under the water in the trash can with a little room around the edge and keeping a light on the top of it to encourage the mojano to move to the top of the plastic where they can get light.
How long do you think I'll need to do this in order to make all the mojano's come off? and is there a better way to do this. I'm not going to try and individually kill them as I'm talking about 3-400#'s of rock pretty well covered in the stuff.
Thanks

fattony

you'll find cooking the rock likely won't rid you of the Mejanos. Instead, I recommend allowing the rock to dry outside in the sun. You will lose all the life in it, but that will come back while cooking it afterwards. Another Option is to use a small torch (like for sweating pipes together) to blow torch the mejanos..if you didn't want to let your rock dry out. HTH

jb rekit

Thanks - Even with the lid mentioned to create darkness with a place for them to migrate above it wouldn't do much good? I thought I had heard of people creating a dark environment and then having all the anemones traveling towards the top to try and get to light. But, this is why I asked. If people know that won't work - I don't want to waste a lot of time with it.
I do have a torch if that works well though.

bang guy

The blowtorch is also a very good option. In my opinion you will ruin your rock and cause months of algae problems if you dry out your live rock and put it back in your system.

jb rekit

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/2736732
Why not just scrape them off the rock instead of killing everything in or on your live rock?
I tried that a time or two in the past and it worked successfully on the ones on the outer part of the rock, but a lot of them stick their base in a small crevasse or nook and I just end up tearing them when trying to remove them.
Also since there are literally thousands, if not more, I was hoping to get them to move off on their own. I would also like to make sure I get them all and not have to deal with these things anymore as I won't be adding more LR to this tank anyway since there isn't room.

jb rekit

I'm thinking a combination of methods might be in order.
And when I said "cooking" I mainly just meant putting them in a dark trashcan with water and a small pump and a heater. Not intended to kill the LR, just wanting to have the mojanos move off trying to find light.
If I can get a few thousand to voluntarily move off in that manner, then I can start scraping the remainder and then torch the ones I can't scrape.
That sounds like one of the least damaging way to rid the LR of these things.
I'm still open to more ways of getting rid of these things w/o losing the LR as it sounds like no 1 method by itself is likely to do the job w.o killing all the rock.

bang guy

OK, I missed the part where you had thousands, sorry

You can also mix up a lime slurry.
Place the rock in a container of saltwater just like you mentioned earlier. Wait until the Mojano open back up.
Take Lime (Calcium hydroxide, commonly called Kalk in the hobby), some fish food, and add water until you create a paste.
Use a turkey baster to squite the lime slurry at the Mojano. They will detect the food in the mix and eat it. The Lime will raise their PH up into the 12.0 range and this will burn them from the inside.
Shake off the rock really good and put it back into your aquarium. If you leave the rock in the container the High PH will begin to kill the animals inside your live rock (crustaceans, worms, etc.)