Coral catshark

cars&sharks

Originally Posted by Brenden
http:///forum/post/2499718
150 gallons is way to small for a Coral Cat Shark. Please consider upgrading in the very near future or a tank, pond, lagoon, ect. of atleast 250-300 gallons.
no its not. i believe a coral cat shark is fine in a tank of 125 gal.

N

nereef

Originally Posted by cars&sharks
http:///forum/post/2499875
no its not. i believe a coral cat shark is fine in a tank of 125 gal.
where did you hear that? a 125 is 18" wide. if the people here are correct and the shark gets to two feet, the shark couldn't even turn around.

redman1221

Imo coral cat shark can turn around in a 125g at full grown but they should have a larger tank. When full grown, but until then he or she should be fine in a 125g, jmo.

cars&sharks

read aquarium sharks and rays by scott w michael (min aquarium size for a coral catshark is a 110). ive been studying sharks and rays for 6 years, and have kept over 30 of them, i think id know. your avg coral catshark doesn't get over 27'' long. a coral catshark is a very inactive shark which is why it doesn't require a large aquarium.

mike22cha

http:///forum/post/2500068
read aquarium sharks and rays by scott w michael (min aquarium size for a coral catshark is a 110). ive been studying sharks and rays for 6 years, and have kept over 30 of them, i think id know. your avg coral catshark doesn't get over 27'' long. a coral catshark is a very inactive shark which is why it doesn't require a large aquarium.
I don't think that book should be the bible for shark keeping, but a starting point. And I do not agree with the tank sizes at all. I have never kept a shark because I learned that a 2' shark in a 18" wide tank does not look healthy.

cars&sharks

Originally Posted by MIKE22cha
http:///forum/post/2500110
I don't think that book should be the bible for shark keeping, but a starting point. And I do not agree with the tank sizes at all. I have never kept a shark because I learned that a 2' shark in a 18" wide tank does not look healthy.
I didn't say it was a bible for shark keeping, i simply was giving a reference. i have many other books, but that was the first one i pulled out. that may be you oppinion and you are entitled to it, but i again have been studying them for 6+ years not to mention have owned and raised many. And on top of that, i know 3 different marine store owners/ marine biologist that have stuffed me full of info.
everybody has their oppinion but im just giving you facts.

whitey

http:///forum/post/2500127
I didn't say it was a bible for shark keeping, i simply was giving a reference. i have many other books, but that was the first one i pulled out. that may be you oppinion and you are entitled to it, but i again have been studying them for 6+ years not to mention have owned and raised many. And on top of that, i know 3 different marine store owners/ marine biologist that have stuffed me full of info.
everybody has their oppinion but im just giving you facts
Saying you can keep this shark in a 125 is not fact. It's your opinion, and one that will be argued by most here on this site.
If you've studied sharks, that's great, but has nothing to do with the fact that a 125 gallons of water is not a lot of space for one of these animals despite how active they are. Can they be kept like this? Probably, but is it recommended? Absolutely not.

cars&sharks

Originally Posted by Whitey
http:///forum/post/2500149
Can they be kept like this? Probably, but is it recommended? Absolutely not.
if its written in a book, it is recommended, maybe not recommended by you, but it is still recommended. you can go on and tell me all of your oppinions and views about shark husbandry, but until you have majored or atleast minored in marine biology in college, than i could care less what you say nor take your advice.
id rather take advice and oppinions by people that have traveled the world written books and studied these creatures in their natural habbitate than by someone who hasn't even raised nor owned one.
think what you want. but again to the OP, nice shark, reduce your rockwork, feed the shark a variety of vitamin enriched frozen foods and you'll be fine.
this is all i have to say on the subject.
Jake

whitey

http:///forum/post/2500198
if its written in a book, it is recommended, maybe not recommended by you, but it is still recommended. you can go on and tell me all of your oppinions and views about shark husbandry, but until you have majored or atleast minored in marine biology in college, than i could care less what you say nor take your advice.
id rather take advice and oppinions by people that have traveled the world written books and studied these creatures in their natural habbitate than by someone who hasn't even raised nor owned one.
think what you want. but again to the OP, nice shark, reduce your rockwork, feed the shark a variety of vitamin enriched frozen foods and you'll be fine.
this is all i have to say on the subject.
Jake

Jake, Im currently selling most of my live rocks, I sold 26 pounds today. My mom thought he was an eel when she first saw him. His body is so slender and flexible. I read somewhere that these sharks move through tight spaces in reefs. I read about them also. I read about fish before I buy them. I do have to get some shark vitamins. Thanks Jake.
PS. On another note. I went to a local fish store yesterday and they had some coral catsharks there and they have them labeled as white tip catsharks.Because the top of the fins are white, LOL. I tried to tell the guy who says he makes the labels but he refused to change the name, even though while talking to him he admit he does'nt know alot about sharks. They also had a brown banded shark which looks so pretty he almost looks gold in color and they had him labeled spotted catshark and he don't even have any spots but some really light brown bands.

ophiura

http:///forum/post/2500127
. And on top of that, i know 3 different marine store owners/ marine biologist that have stuffed me full of info.
There is your problem, right there

I am not sure why the line "marine biologist" always gets thrown in here as a way to augment the argument.
I am a marine biologist by training, and I would never put one in a 125, assuming a standard footprint.
Marine biologists are prone to the same drawbacks that come with making money off selling animals. A lot of things become "OK" but please don't throw in that because they are marine biologists it gives it more "weight." I've heard the opinion of a lot of "marine biologists" and it is sketchy. In the public aquarium field, they tend to avoid marine biologists because on average they know very little about keeping animals in captivity...I know because I had to battle this issue myself. Marine biology wasn't worth anything in that field.
You are correct that everyone is entitled to opinions. But the only "facts" come from ecology, behavior, and systematics (description of the animal, its adult size, diet, etc). There are no "facts" in terms of tank size either way, IMO. The only "fact" in a 125 would be that the animal, if it grows to adult size, would not be able to orient itself along the width of the tank (front to back) and that, IMO, would be an issue. So that is where opinion comes in to play. In my opinion, as a marine biologist
, a footprint that allows the shark to be able to orient comfortably in any direction would be preferable and a circular pond ideal. Many of these sharks appear to be rather inactive - but in reality they are far more active at night.

crimzy

Aaaah... the classic tank size stalemate:
One says:
Look at Scott Michael's book that addresses minimum tank size. Talk to LFS and I've had them successfully in this size tank. The shark is fine.
The other says:
This shark can get to 27" full grown and a 125 is only 18" wide. Almost everybody agrees that this is unacceptable and how can the shark possibly thrive in such a situation.
Nobody seems to realize that these sides are arguing over different issues. Can a coral cat survive in a 125 gallon (or even a 150)? The answer is that if all other conditions are ideal then the shark will probably survive. Does this make it right? That's where those objecting are offering an ethical opinion. Nothing wrong with this as there are plenty of outrageous hobbyists who sacrifice beautiful fish on a regular basis. For a situation like this, the poster will have to look at this pet that has been raised from a pup, in that size tank and draw his own conclusions.
As much as people like to pile on here, cars is right that this is a matter of opinion and not fact. However, I trust that when you've been in this hobby long enough and have been fortunate enough to keep healthy fish long term then you will eventually do what's right for the animal.
My opinion (just to add it to the list)... that shark's ok for the next couple of years. Sharks grow real quickly when they're young but then their growth slows dramatically at adulthood. In a couple of years you'll want to make other arrangements. JMO.

brenden

Cars&Sharks - What specimens have you personally kept? Just becasue you have kept over 30 does not mean you have learnt anything or that any of those specimens thrived. Also anyone can go out and get a Degree in Marine Biology doesn't mean you know your stuff. I know many people with that degree and know next to nothing when it comes to elasmobranches.

babyb

Originally Posted by BabyB
http:///forum/post/2494824
i could be wrong but i think they get bigger than 24 inches, i have always heard they grow from 3 to 4 ft long , what size tank do you have

sorry i was thinking about a banded cat shark

cars&sharks

I cant believe your going to make me count them, good thing i have a log ******.
ive raised..
12 brownbanded bamboo sharks ( chiloscyllium punctatum)
2 colclough's sharks (brachaelurus colcloughi)
1 gray bamboo sharks (chiloscyllium griseum) (very rare)
3 whitespotted bamboo shark (chiloscyllium plagiosum)
4 cortez round stingrays (urobatis maculatus)
2 yellow stingrays (urobatis jamaicensis)
2 bluespotted ribbontail rays (taeniura lymma)
2 epaulette sharks (hemiscyllium ocellatum)
1 bluespotted stingray (dasyatis kuhii) (better for the home aqaurium than its cousin the bluespotted ribbontail ray)

[hr]
end total= 29....sorry under 30, i never really counted. all of these specimens was over a 3 year span, most were juvenals my goal was to get them to feed off of frozen food, study them than find them a home through LFS owners (which is how i obtained them for free) that i know, all went to nice homes with large enouph quarters to house them, i made sure of it.
Brenden, i have been fortunate enouph to learn more about these species than most on this forum. when did i say i had a marine biology degree? i said i know people that have theirs that are marine store owners and friends. If i had a marine biology degree, do you think i would be typing to you? i would most likely be writting a book or in some other country studying sharks.
EDIT: they all thrived besides one brownbanded bamboo shark, to my mistake i couldn't get him to take food.
Jake

cars&sharks

Originally Posted by gonefishcrazy
http:///forum/post/2500254
Jake, Im currently selling most of my live rocks, I sold 26 pounds today. My mom thought he was an eel when she first saw him. His body is so slender and flexible. I read somewhere that these sharks move through tight spaces in reefs. I read about them also. I read about fish before I buy them. I do have to get some shark vitamins. Thanks Jake.
PS. On another note. I went to a local fish store yesterday and they had some coral catsharks there and they have them labeled as white tip catsharks.Because the top of the fins are white, LOL. I tried to tell the guy who says he makes the labels but he refused to change the name, even though while talking to him he admit he does'nt know alot about sharks. They also had a brown banded shark which looks so pretty he almost looks gold in color and they had him labeled spotted catshark and he don't even have any spots but some really light brown bands.
very nice, good idea. i hope everything turnes out great.

crimzy

http:///forum/post/2500705
I cant believe your going to make me count them, good thing i have a log ******.
ive raised..
12 brownbanded bamboo sharks ( chiloscyllium punctatum)
2 colclough's sharks (brachaelurus colcloughi)
1 gray bamboo sharks (chiloscyllium griseum) (very rare)
3 whitespotted bamboo shark (chiloscyllium plagiosum)
4 cortez round stingrays (urobatis maculatus)
2 yellow stingrays (urobatis jamaicensis)
2 bluespotted ribbontail rays (taeniura lymma)
2 epaulette sharks (hemiscyllium ocellatum)
1 bluespotted stingray (dasyatis kuhii) (better for the home aqaurium than its cousin the bluespotted ribbontail ray)

[hr]
end total= 29....sorry under 30, i never really counted. all of these specimens was over a 3 year span, most were juvenals my goal was to get them to feed off of frozen food, study them than find them a home through LFS owners (which is how i obtained them for free) that i know, all went to nice homes with large enouph quarters to house them, i made sure of it.
Brenden, i have been fortunate enouph to learn more about these species than most on this forum. when did i say i had a marine biology degree? i said i know people that have theirs that are marine store owners and friends. If i had a marine biology degree, do you think i would be typing to you? i would most likely be writting a book or in some other country studying sharks.
EDIT: they all thrived besides one brownbanded bamboo shark, to my mistake i couldn't get him to take food.
Jake

You should bear in mind one thing. You've kept juvi specimens for a very limited period of time. Your profile says you're 19, which means that you've probably not kept any of these fish for too long. Your specimens "thriving" for a few months or so is very different from someone who hopes to keep these guys alive for 20 years or more.

cars&sharks

Originally Posted by crimzy
http:///forum/post/2500794
You should bear in mind one thing. You've kept juvi specimens for a very limited period of time. Your profile says you're 19, which means that you've probably not kept any of these fish for too long. Your specimens "thriving" for a few months or so is very different from someone who hopes to keep these guys alive for 20 years or more.
very true but, the first 0-3 months is crucial for any juvenal elasmobranch of any species. getting them to eat is the hardest part aside from keeping the elasmobranch alive after the fact. getting them to eat frozen food after live food is even harder, but again its a must. I not only raised them, ive also rescued a few elasmobranches and brought them back to health and found them a good home after.
why do you think a bamboo shark egg is only $40 and not $80 like a healthy juvi bamboo? because the shark has not hatched yet and doesn't know how to eat and unless you know what your doing, the shark will most likely end up dieng due to starvation. I have had a lot of luck getting newly hatched elasmobranches to eat, but ive had a few that took weeks to feed, more if the egg sack was still atached when the shark came out.
sharks are not for the beginner or even novice sw hobbyist, they are not easy to keep my no means, i do agree with most of you that min tank requirments are too small, but, that doesn't mean the shark will not thrive in its enviroment with the min size tank.
also, the min. size tank requirements is not only for lfs stores to house a shark until purchased. if that where true, why does it say the min. size tank for a bonnett head shark is a 2600 gal tank? or the min. requirement is 4800 gal for a nurse shark? sharks are made up of almost all cartilage, which is why a 27'' shark is able to turn around in a 18'' wide tank. bend your ear back and maybe you will get a better idea of what I am talking about. the skin (scales) from a fish are comepetly different from a sharks scales. sharks have placoid scales also called dermal denticles, where bony fishes have cycloid scales. having placoid scales not only protects the shark from abrasions and parasites but also helps them be more flexible and agile when moving around a tight reef or catching prey.sorry i went off on a rant.
Jake