Coral Eating Clownfish ???

btldreef

I just want to know if anyone else has experienced this, because it's a first for me:
My 1" Tank Raised Ocellaris Clownfish in my 14G is eating my coral. It's munched on a blue mushroom and DESTROYED my flowerpot coral (yes, I know he killed it, I caught him nipping at it a couple times).

He gets fed twice a day and eats well, I don't understand what happened. My other two Ocellaris in my 155G are perfectly fine, never touched a coral and they eat the same food. Do I have a rogue Clownfish, or has someone else experienced this?

small triggers

thats CRAZZZZYYYYY... was he nipping it like they nip their anemones though? maybe trying to get it to host?? and then smothering it to death ( i would hope or you are gonna have one heck of a time trying to get him out if hes eating it, lol) either way,,, corals dying sux...

btldreef

Originally Posted by small triggers
http:///forum/post/3199804
thats CRAZZZZYYYYY... was he nipping it like they nip their anemones though? maybe trying to get it to host?? and then smothering it to death ( i would hope or you are gonna have one heck of a time trying to get him out if hes eating it, lol) either way,,, corals dying sux...
No, it was full force eating it, nipping off full pieces, like my dog tears apart a toy
There's an RBTA in this tank that it won't even go near. I've never seen this kind of behavior out of a clown, but to say the least, I AM NOT HAPPY!

The coral was so nice, perfect size flower pot of a nano tank, I was so happy when I found it and it was doing great.

mr.clownfish

he is probably possessed by a demonic fishy presence. LOL.
never seen anything like that... maybe he has a taste for coral
clowns are retards, they deserve the name CLOWN fish.

kpclown

You could try moving the corals to a different location in the tank. Most clownfish are extremely picky about their homes. Especially in smaller aquariums where their territory is literally the entire tank. When a clown doesn't like something they let you know! I have seen one keep knocking a Montipora frag off a rock until it was moved to a different rock. When the frags are glued down they cant move them, so they'll chew it apart.

btldreef

Originally Posted by KPclown
http:///forum/post/3202819
You could try moving the corals to a different location in the tank. Most clownfish are extremely picky about their homes. Especially in smaller aquariums where their territory is literally the entire tank. When a clown doesn't like something they let you know! I have seen one keep knocking a Montipora frag off a rock until it was moved to a different rock. When the frags are glued down they cant move them, so they'll chew it apart.

I move them around a lot actually. Nothing is glued down. I really don't know what is wrong w/ this guy.

btldreef

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3202820
Good luck catching it

Lol.. luckily its only a 14G biocube so there aren't too many places for him to hide. I am willing to take the rocks out to get him though (although I really hope I don't have to).

garick

Maybe he is not getting the proper minerals or vitamins and having to eat the corals to supplement? Also it could be some sort of messed up violent hosting clown that has to physically abuse whatever is in its area to prove its dominant..

btldreef

Originally Posted by Garick
http:///forum/post/3202886
Maybe he is not getting the proper minerals or vitamins and having to eat the corals to supplement? Also it could be some sort of messed up violent hosting clown that has to physically abuse whatever is in its area to prove its dominant..

I think he just hates me! LOL
He is being fed the exact same food that my mated pair in the 155 get and always have been fed:
1 cube emerald entree + marine cuisine 2x a day (this is. for the big tank, I just add a little bit to his tank that also houses a yasha goby and tail spit blenny.)
I also add PE Mysis in the morning and Reef Nutrition Arctipods at night.
I always add vitamins to all food.
He's just evil.

H

Honuvision

I have a 32g nano tank and my Phantom started doing exactly what you are describing. He is nipping sinularia, duncan, frogspawn, and killed my candy canes. I have two bubble tips, and he seems to protect them, but never stays in them. I wonder if these cross bred aqua-cultured oscelaris are not suffering from behavioural anomalies.
More to come….