coral food

zacg

just wondering what everybody feeds their coral. mine doesn't seem to be growing and spreading like i hear everybody else say there's is. i feed mine marine snow with calcium,stronium,and iodide.

meowzer

Depends on what you have...The only coral I feed is my glass goblet brain, and I feed it a small piece of scallop 1x (sometimes 2) a week
The rest get whatever they get from the water

flower

Originally Posted by ZacG
http:///forum/post/3119632
just wondering what everybody feeds their coral. mine doesn't seem to be growing and spreading like i hear everybody else say there's is. i feed mine marine snow with calcium,stronium,and iodide.

I hope you have a test for iodine, it can become toxic in the tank after time..I am not sure of iodide, if it is the same.
Also marine snow is not very good constantly...switch off with phytoplanton and feeding frenzy...Kents Microvert and the such.
Also once a tank hits the year old mark, stuff seems to take off and really grow.

flower

Originally Posted by ZacG
http:///forum/post/3119683
thanks flower i usually just feed every other day is that right?

I feed my coral once each week. My fish I feed once a day, and my Brittle stars I give a nice chunk of shrimp once every 2 weeks, if nothing has died and they have had nothing to eat.
Always remember, what feeds the coral will also feed the not so nice things like hair algae. So you won't want to over do it.

d-dzel

Anyone tried Reef Chilli here? There's a guy on another message board that uses only that and his corals have an insane growth rate, I mean he also has some high end equipment as well so his water is always awesome, but has anyone tried it?

jackri

I agree with what kind of corals... but then what kind of lighting and what's your calcium at?
Hard corals need calcium to build skeleton and get around 98% of their food from lighting. Other than that I really only feed my LPS and watch them ingest food. I'm sure the other corals get minimum benefit from feeding time as well.

luvmyreef

Well, I have had wonderful results by using Kent Microvert and zooplex.. Also, jackri is right about the light, calcium, etc. actinic lighting is necessary for proper photosynthetic coral growth, and leaving your lights on for a short or overly long period of time (light cycle) will affect corals as well. What kind of corals do you have?