Coral ID Please

edubb777

Could someone please identify these corals please.
I have heard so many different names and am not sure what they are called.
Also, can someone tell me why the purple zoas have what appears to be a abnormal growth on them.

hot883

Originally Posted by edubb777
Could someone please identify these corals please.
I have heard so many different names and am not sure what they are called.
Also, can someone tell me why the purple zoas have what appears to be a abnormal growth on them.
Pictures would help.

teen

first look like a kenya tee, the abnormal growth is probably just algae of some type, and the third looks like a toadstool

robsw

the first one looks to me like a colt coral, the bottom is a leather, maybe a devils hand. or sarcophtum not sure

fishieness

Originally Posted by teen
first look like a kenya tee, the abnormal growth is probably just algae of some type, and the third looks like a toadstool
i agree.
the abnormal growth looks like some algae, weather it be something like a calcerous algae, or something completly different, cyanobacteria, i am not sure.

grilai

The first one looks like a Capnella imbricata (pronunciation: kap-NEL-luh), common name: Kenya tree, "Nephthya", Nephthea. and the last one is a Lobophytum (pronunciation: LO-bo-FY-tum), common name: Davil's hand, finger leather, "Lobophyton"; this genus is very closely related to Sarcophyton, and some colonies appear essentially the same as members of the genus, like large toadstools, except that in Lobophytum the crown as fingers-like branches or lobes. Like Sarcophyton, Lobophytum has two types of polyps, autozooids and siphonozooids.

fishieness

Originally Posted by edubb777
Thanks for the info. If the abnormal growth is a cyano, should it be removed?
it could be. but i doubt it is. i didnt htink it is when i said it because of how it is growing off, but i have seen it be kinda stringy. but after looking at it more, it looks more marine algae type and leafy. i would let it be. but that is jsut me. and now that i ahve looked at it again, i highly highly doubt it is cyano, unless i am completly looking at it wrong. lol
so all ica n see is it is a marine algae and is beneficial. sorry i cant narrow it down to a species though.... i was never good with nameing algaes, esspecialy the scientific names. lol why bother? haha
and also, after looking again, i woudl also like to change my 3rd awnser to a devil'shand. the polyp layout doesnt look too much like a toadstool, and i thought it was jsut curled up before, but now after lookign again, it appears to be more growing out in the center. so sorry :notsure:

edubb777

Thanks fishieness. It doesn't look like cyano to me either. I've had recent expereince with a major cyano outbreak and this does not resemble it in the least.
I've researched alot of different algaes and can't place this one anywhere. It keeps growing and has taken about three weeks to get to this stage. It is also appearing elsewhere on the same rock but nowhere else in the system.
??????????????????????