Coral ID!

mark_d

Saw this at the LFS.. think its kinda interesting ... im assuming its some kind of goniopora but I want to make sure before I buy it, guy at the store said it wasnt.

mark_d

if it is a goniopora any idea what species? Im under the impression that it should have much more polyp extension.. also the look of the polyps when closed doesnt look much like a gonio to me.... u sure?

reefforbrains

well if he cant ID this dig a hole in the floor and ask him if in his opinion if is-
A- a hole in the ground
B- his own sphincter

mark_d

aah.. good times then........ also ive consulted with him and he seems quite confident that the hole in the floor is indeed B-his own sphyncter. I am makin sure i stay away from said hole.
That aside, LFS owner wasnt around and this guy is...... kinda dumb... and mean...... not to be mean but i mean..... if u saw how this guy goes about doin stuff its scary...
Asked him cause he was the only one there and u figure theyd know what the hell they are selling..... but guess no
__^..... he then suggested I buy a certain frogspawn which was really an elegance....
Oh, and now that i remember he reffered to the goni as a pinepple coral, which (based on what ive seen called that), is not quite close....
Anywho,thanks for the ID. if anyone can ID the species thatd be nice ^__^ but ill probably steer clear since 1/2 gonio's i owned arent workin out too good, and the one failing me happens to be an encrusting G. Stychburri (spelling?)

mudplayerx

Looks like alveopora to me. They have a pretty horrible success rate, just like goniopora. I wouldn't buy it.

mark_d

the pics were much larger before uploading to photobucket and i can count more than 12 little tentacles on the polyps..... so woulndt it be a gonio? but then again i really dont know ^_^...
anywhos, ty for the info ^_^

mudplayerx

Whether it is goni or alve, don't buy it because it probably won't make it more than 6 months in captivity.