Coral In my first Marine tank

Carbacoustic

Further to my intro post, I thought I would post away in here.

I am fascinated by the possible construction of my own coral reef, I intend to use dry rock but wonder if there is a 'starter' live coral or ones suited for firs tanks.

Opinions on live and Synthetic Corals together plz

Tyvm

Carb

lmforbis

Personally I am not a fan of synthetic coral. That is a personal choice, It won't hurt anything but does tend to get dirty looking after a while. I have a few zoanthids, palyzoas, and large polyp stony corals. I consider them easy. My reef is fairly new so it has a long way to go. You will want to pick your lights based on the needs of the type of coral you want to get.

bang guy

I agree that synthetic corals are not very satisfying.

First, tell us what you would like your mini coral reef to end up looking like.

Carbacoustic

I would like my mini coral reef to look like a real part of the ocean, In fact the odd thing is the growing of the corals interests me nearly as much as displaying the fish. I just feel a little bit out of depth about preparation, I feel ok about getting to the stage of putting the coral in lol. I really don't want tacky looking unreal stuff. I am excited just a tad nervous about it going horribly wrong.

I want vibrant strong colours Red, purples. I wanted to not use live rock amongst the coral to stop unwanted organisms a couple of anemones to wave back a forth like in a Jack Custoe tv programme.

I would like hiding places for a couple of smaller fish, I hope maybe 8 live fish I haven't researched much about Coral yet so will do a whole ton of reading before even starting to plan it out. Rushing will get me no place fast :p

Lols like I said am as fascinated by the eco system as by the fish !

To sum up looking as real as possible even if it takes time look after. I would like the wow factor :p

How possible od this to achieve by a novice ?

Last edited:

bang guy

It can be achieved but you need to expect some setbacks occasionally - ie "learning opportunities" :p

Take a look around here at some of the pictures. See if you can fine something you like. Then, ask the person who owns the picture their methods. Seek advice from others but compare that advice to what you see... Then do what you believe it right, not what is easiest, cheapest, or fastest, do what you think is the right way.

Here's a picture of a 10 gallon I set up some years ago to get you started: