"Coral of the Week"-polyps

nm reef

Always a suggested starter coral...and all too often a over looked coral. They can be some of the easiest to care for but at the same time they can be extremely diverse in appearence and coloration. Some ... like the sun polyps ...require special care and attention. All can be positive additions to a reef system. Here are pics of some of mine...a few of the pics are from other sources. All the pics are of assorted polyps......ya'all can provide additional information and pics as you see fit. Personally ... polyps are fast becoming some of my favorite reef inhabitants!

wrassecal

Good choice, I'm on the hunt for different colored polyps now. So far this is what I have. BTW, the fox coral thread netted me a nice new one that hubby brought home as a surprise tonight. He knew I wanted one since I showed him all the pics on that thread:D

nm reef

Kewl pic Debi...and I'm glad to here you've got a fox coral. I hope yours does as well as mine has. Thanks for the positive feedback on the "Coral of the Week" threads....the whole idea was to encourage members to provide info and pics in the hope it would help other members research corals for future additions. In your case its been a good series...best of luck!:cool:

yosemite sam

NM, great idea. I love polyps too, so easy to care for. Mine are at the top, middle and bottom of the tank in different currents and they are all doing really well. The glove polyps have grown really fast. You can see all the little ones in the pic :D

nm reef

Its a sun polyp...requires target feedings(I use DT's) and primarily opens only after lights out. That specific one is not mine...I did recently add one...but my pics of it are not that good...and mine is not nearly that nice...YET! It can be a somewhat difficult coral to maintain...but they are real beautys in a healthy system.
:cool:

nm reef

Sweet stuff Yosemite Sam!!
The colony of clove polyps I keep is about the size of a football...and lil'uns have sprung up in a couple of different spots in the past few months. Eventually I'll return frags to the LFS that saved the origional for me. They look especially nice under actinics...at least mine show more color under actinics. Mine is in a fairly high current and seems healthy and happy.:cool:

spsfreak100

Here's a picture of my zooanthid colony. I've had them for over a year now, and they started out as only around 20 polyps. Since then they have multiplied quite a bit! I have some (around 8) brown ones with green middles growing on the top left side of the tank (you can see some in the pic- Top left) growing quite rapidly.
...If only I kind find some Blue zooanthids I would be happy :)

Graham

ophiura

Excellent selection!
Things like polyps are also nice because you can often pick up a few individuals on a piece of LR, and have them spread quite nicely.
Some of mine:

broomer5

polyps - I'm seeing volunteers popping up on various pieces of live rock.
I like the way various polyps spread too.

crazy4reefs

my favorite polyps, greenstars. very easy to care for and grow like mad.. im always making a frag and bringing it to the lfs for credit...:cool:
and Graham awsome polyps:)

topfish2

polyps are awesome. I dont have any pics or indo because I just started but was wondering if you can add different types of polyps close together, and can you place them near corals that have sweeper tentacles or will the coral kill some of the polyps? Thanks!

jonthefb

very cool little fellas indeed. always a good reccommendation as a beginner coral, cause they seem to do fine just about everywhere. not a big fan of the gsp here either. they are actually really powerful when it comes to stinging cells! anyhow good luck to all!
p.s rich i want soem of those blue green polyps in the bottem left corner....very sweet!
jon

chinnyr

Here's a pic of some hitch hiker polyps that are making a go of it since I moved them away from the Galaxia sweepers.They were on the underside of a rock and I did'nt see them until they started to spread.