Coralife pro

evieb

:help: I am one click away from ordering the Aqualight Pro 2 x 150W HQI 2 x 96W PC 3 x 1W lunar. Not sure why I'm hesitating but I am. Do I or don't I. I've read many different opinions about them. Frankly the whole lighting thing is driving me crazy
and I'd just like to take the plunge and get a good lighting system. I have a 55gal. and eventually want to upgrade to a bigger tank. Yes, I want to keep everything! Your opinions please. Thanks :confused:

joker_ca

try posting in the reef section but imo that should be enought light even if you upgrade to a bigger tank

blemmy_guy

Originally Posted by evieb
:help: I am one click away from ordering the Aqualight Pro 2 x 150W HQI 2 x 96W PC 3 x 1W lunar. Not sure why I'm hesitating but I am. Do I or don't I. I've read many different opinions about them. Frankly the whole lighting thing is driving me crazy
and I'd just like to take the plunge and get a good lighting system. I have a 55gal. and eventually want to upgrade to a bigger tank. Yes, I want to keep everything! Your opinions please. Thanks :confused:
I have the same set up, just the 72 inch version, with 3 , mhs. anyway i love it!! The cooling fans work real well, lights are awesome. Go for it, ill vouch for them. Goodluck
todd

evieb

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I guess I really just needed some reassurance about the lights. Well, I did it. I ordered them today and should get them before the end of the week. I am really very excited about them. Can't wait! By the way, what about a good timer? I know Coralife makes one but I don't know too much about them. Ratings for them at the site I ordered from were not very good. Any suggestions? Thanks again for the help :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: !

mudplayerx

That light setup is great for a 55 gallon tank. You will be able to keep anything you want including corals and clams. I have coralife and I think it is a great brand name.
edit: those two 150watt HQI's are metal halide, right?

evieb

Yes they are. I didn't want to spend twice on the lighting system so I figured I'd go MH now instead of later. I can't wait to get them. Thanks again for your help! :joy: :joy: :joy:

blemmy_guy

Congrats! ANd on the timers, i use the regular old timers you buy at Lowes or Home depot, the kind you get for turning stuff on and off while your not home. Make sure you get the one with the 3 prong, they make both. Let us know when you get the lights!!
todd

evieb

I will and thanks for the info on the timers. I'll be heading to home depot in the morning! Thanks again! :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

mudplayerx

Yup, you can't go wrong with metal halide. Just make sure you light acclimate all your new critters or they can get burned or get oxygen poisoning. Just place them at the bottom of the tank at 1st and slowly increase the lighting hours a day up to 10.

evieb

Will do! Right now I only have a tomato clown and a hermit crab I've had since day one. Bought them from my lfs before I even found this site or knew anything at all about swf. I wasn't given very good advice there but I don't blame them, I blame myself for not doing the research first. Anyway, I don't buy from them anymore. They are the only ones in my area so now I buy online. I hope to order a cleaning crew sometime next week from this site. I've been using jungle test strips from Wal Mart but ordered the salifert test kits from this site yesterday. I've learned alot just from reading the threads here. I'll let you know when I get the lights cause I know I'll probably have a few questions about the timing (acclimation). Thanks so much for all your help. You've all been great! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

truck0000

I thinking about light change my self. I would appreciate it if you couldEmail me with the site you bought yours from so i can check it out. Truck_0000@yahoo.com
This lighting thing has been bugging me also. I was going to by the coral life clip on witha 150w 20k bulb but i think i need to go with a complete system.

mudplayerx

You might wanna look at this if you want to escape the hassles of having a canopy and light in the way. I have these coralife pendants and LOVE them. Only took 15 minutes to install. (yes I know I still need to hide the cords).

evieb

Do you have a cover over your tank? I plan on putting mine as the top of my canopy. Will I need a glass cover? :notsure:

nosliwekim

Originally Posted by evieb
Do you have a cover over your tank? I plan on putting mine as the top of my canopy. Will I need a glass cover? :notsure:
Hi there, I've heard people speak out against putting covers over the tank due to trapping heat and all. However, they also prevent things from falling into the tank: lights, bugs, and stuff. I'm planning on getting a decent stainless steel screen tank cover...like you'd find on top of rodent cages and stuff. I think it would prevent fish from committing suicide, accidently dropping stuff in and you should be able to carefully cut out small sections for stuff like heaters and such. Just would need to make sure that you're not allowing water to pass thru the screen...like for a hang on filter and such.
Just my 2 cents.

mudplayerx

I don't use a canopy because with the metal halide lights because the temperature gets too high. I think a canopy also hinders the gas exchange between the water and the air.
I'm not sure you HAVE to use a canopy with strip lighting. My guess is that if it has support legs and a protective splash guard then you don't need a canopy.

mudplayerx

Please don't get a stainless steel canopy. The saltwater will turn it into rust within a month and all of your inverts could die.

evieb

The system comes with glass lens covers and mounting legs. I also ordered the suspension kit thinking that I may be better off hanging it from the ceiling. I'll have to wait and see whats best. I'm just afraid that if I leave the tank open I may get some jumpers later. What do you think? :thinking: