Coraline algae

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/396858/coraline-algae#post_3536019

LOL...I'm going to regret this, I just know it.

I understand that low calcium won't do as much damage as low alkalinity...from what I understand of the very last sentence (marked in red).

HOWEVER, you are using numbers like 125...105...85..down to 45. My test kit says to measure the drops, and divide the number by 20...and the instructions say good reef conditions are 2.5 alkalinity...that's a huge leap from 125...105...85 and on down to 45.......???????

I'm not a total idiot, I do understand that test kits are most likely different and they measure different types or concentrates of whatever...but Snake did warn you that I would get confused...and he was right. I'm pretty sure the line marked in red will get me through enough to understand what's important.
I listed ppm as the unit of measure in the assumptions.

To convert ppm to Meq/L divide by 50. So, 125ppm = 2.5Meq/L.

S

stevo81

hi mates since i do no more than 10% water changes a month i just top off with fresh water and all para are very good i always thought about dosing trace elements for coraline and i can say there was a serious lack in these elements and i can say that after dosing once about 40 drops i can see the coraline again even on my turbo im happy with this change i hope it will continue spreading

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo81 http:///t/396858/coraline-algae/20#post_3536033
hi mates since i do no more than 10% water changes a month i just top off with fresh water and all para are very good i always thought about dosing trace elements for coraline and i can say there was a serious lack in these elements and i can say that after dosing once about 40 drops i can see the coraline again even on my turbo im happy with this change i hope it will continue spreading

Hi, Welcome to the site.

As long as you test before you dose, it's all good. Keeping everything at near perfect parameters is the goal.

tahoereefer

Do you guys think I should not use my protein skimmer? I never used one in my 24g Nano and eventually my tank was covered in it. I have read a skimmer will prohibit coralline algae.

I do have a small amount on some live rock and on a Bubble Coral I recently bought from Saltwaterfish.com.

I will scrape it and see what happens, but wondering what others think about the skimmer. Thanks!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeReefer http:///t/396858/coraline-algae/20#post_3536361
Do you guys think I should not use my protein skimmer? I never used one in my 24g Nano and eventually my tank was covered in it. I have read a skimmer will prohibit coralline algae.

I do have a small amount on some live rock and on a Bubble Coral I recently bought from Saltwaterfish.com.

I will scrape it and see what happens, but wondering what others think about the skimmer. Thanks!

Hi,

A small amount???? Most of us WANT Coraline algae, it's beautiful on the rocks giving the tank color...I hand picked each of my rocks to make sure I had coraline on them...to each his own I guess.

A skimmer only removes organic waste. Coraline is built from a mix of Calcium and Alkalinity, when those numbers are in the proper range the Coraline grows. The only thing to remove coralline is a sharp razor...or... if your system is large enough...the Diadema (Black long spine) urchin will gobble it up. I think
other urchins will too, but I'm certain about the Diadema....If you don't have enough algae the urchin will starve

tahoereefer

Ok good! I read the spores get sucked up in it. I guess a regular filter would do the same thing then if that were true.

I want it!. I meant that I would scrape it to get is flowing around in my tank to hopefully spread. I know it time, all will be well, I just didn't want to prolong it.

I moved my 55 gallon into a 125, so it shouldn't be too much longer.

Thanks for the replies!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeReefer http:///t/396858/coraline-algae/20#post_3536383
Ok good! I read the spores get sucked up in it. I guess a regular filter would do the same thing then if that were true.

I want it!. I meant that I would scrape it to get is flowing around in my tank to hopefully spread. I know it time, all will be well, I just didn't want to prolong it.

I moved my 55 gallon into a 125, so it shouldn't be too much longer.

Thanks for the replies!

Hi...

Years ago I had a chili coral that needed lots of flow. So I set up a small nano power head to push water all around it in the cave where it lived out of the light. Well it shifted just a little (no magnets back then) and shot sand up against a rock that had coralline on it....it didn't make a sand storm just kind of sandblasted that spot, and it was low in the tank, so I left it. Boy did that cause the coralline to spread.

flower

Hi,

Pictures can be deceiving, is that sand flying all over the place, or just those "white dots" on the back glass?

For anyone reading this post.....That is not what I meant. The sand will clog the chili coral, ruin your power head and freak out the fish. What was going on in the situation I mentioned was a little sand getting kick up onto a rock with coralline, not sand blasting the whole tank....

S

stevo81

Its not sand its spiroid worms on the back glass cant clean them its just me i opened this thread and b4 three weeks i didnt have that much of coraline coz of lack of elements

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo81 http:///t/396858/coraline-algae/20#post_3536954
Its not sand its spiroid worms on the back glass cant clean them its just me i opened this thread and b4 three weeks i didnt have that much of coraline coz of lack of elements

Hi,

After looking real close at the picture, I kind of thought so, I couldn't spell that worm critter so I called it "white dots"...but then I started thinking...what if I was misunderstood, and somebody ruined a good power head, killed their coral, and stressed their fish because of some dumb thing I posted. so thought I better explain myself a little better.

silverado61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/396858/coraline-algae/20#post_3536366
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeReefer http:///t/396858/coraline-algae/20#post_3536361

Hi,

A small amount???? Most of us WANT Coraline algae, it's beautiful on the rocks giving the tank color...I hand picked each of my rocks to make sure I had coraline on them...to each his own I guess.

A skimmer only removes organic waste. Coraline is built from a mix of Calcium and Alkalinity, when those numbers are in the proper range the Coraline grows. The only thing to remove coralline is a sharp razor...or... if your system is large enough...the Diadema (Black long spine) urchin will gobble it up. I think
other urchins will too, but I'm certain about the Diadema....If you don't have enough algae the urchin will starve
Unless you get lucky and get Urchins that eat algae sheets. I target fed mine a couple of times. Now when they get a hankering for it they just position themselves on the front glass. I clip a piece on the glass and they walk up and start munching for a while. Then they tear a piece off and carry it away. My Long Spine also likes it when I feed my Hermits Gelled brine shrimp and Cyclopeze. But that's not what this thread is about. Just wanted to toss my .02 in there. I think what my point was is if you get an Urchin and they eat all the algae you have, you could try feeding them sheets to keep them happy and healthy.

tahoereefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/396858/coraline-algae/20#post_3536951
For anyone reading this post.....That is not what I meant. The sand will clog the chili coral, ruin your power head and freak out the fish. What was going on in the situation I mentioned was a little sand getting kick up onto a rock with coralline, not sand blasting the whole tank....

I knew what you meant Flower...about the sand "blasting" the coralline algae. --On a side note, I lightly "brush" my Chili on occasion...it loves it. No matter where I put it, it seem to get stuff on it and I have strong current.

Rock lookin' good Stevo.