coraline

mujtba

my tanks 2+mnths 0ld/ i have no coraline algae. i just got coral vital and been addin it for a week. but will it do anythin? can coraline algae start on its own or do i need to get some to start it up?
anyone wana sell coraline algae to me? :notsure:

mujtba

hmm since no one is replying, i guess- WOW no one else has coraline algae? im not alone... :thinking:

bigarn

Coraline algae doesn't happen overnight..some people have gone a year or longer with no coraline. When you do start getting it you'll know your tank is doing really well.
DON'T add anything to promote it's growth. In most cases it does more harm than good. PATIENCE...you'll have it eventually. :D

fishman830

it took me over a yearto get coraline, no sucess unless i had live rock, and once you do get some scrape it all off, it will relsease spores and more will grow, are the walmart lights NO???

mujtba

ya just walmart lights for freshwater fish... nothing fancy.. like $40 light hoods... i think its NO. do I need different lights for coraline?
ok i have LR.. some of my LR does show purple on it.. however, it has been there since the start of my cycle.. is that the color of my LR or is it dead coraline or wat?? :notsure:

T

tizzo

Coralline has to be introduced into the tank. You can buy a piece of LR or even a snail or hermit with some on it's shell.
I have the fastest coralline growth in the most lit areas, but I do have plenty in the shade too. It just takes a LOT longer to grow. (At least in my tank):)

tgfrench

Give it some time to spread. I seeded my tank with coralline by getting the garf grunge. After 2 months I'm getting small specks growing on my agrocrete. There are several larger spots on the back side of my overflow (it grows best in high flow areas). The indo pacific site (http://www.ipsf.com) sells coralline packs if your interested. But 2 months is still early for lots of growth.
just make sure your alk and cal are up to snuff and let it happen.
terry

euphoria

How come coraline algae grows on moving things in the tank, like snail shells. I have better rate of growth of coraline on my snail shells than on the rocks themselves :D