corals turning white

zacg

my kenya tree and some of my mushrooms seem to be loosing there color. are they getting to much light i have 500watt metal halides?

meowzer

You mean you have 2 250watts bulbs?????
How close are they to the light? What are your water parameters?

zacg

yeah i have 2-250W and the kenya tree is close to the top of the tank and the mushrooms are kidna half way up but they are in direct light

meowzer

Silly question....can you move them lower and see if that helps?
That is as long as your water is ok too....
How long have you had the corals...and the lights?

zacg

i have a 75. the lights just went off a few minutes ago so i'm goin to change them aroudn tomorrow when the lights come back on i also run my lights for 10 hrs

meowzer

Originally Posted by ZacG
http:///forum/post/3127482
i have a 75. the lights just went off a few minutes ago so i'm goin to change them aroudn tomorrow when the lights come back on i also run my lights for 10 hrs
You run the MH for 10? Do you have actinics? Maybe run the MH for 7-8 hours and the actinics for more

zacg

ok i had melafix in my tank to help with ich and it ended up killing ALOT of my corals even though its SUPPOSED to be real safe. so there still maybe alittle of that in there i have carbon and purigen pads running my there right now and my protein skimmer to pull it out and i done a 17gallon water change. the pads have been running for aobut a week so i think tomorrow i'm goin to do a 5 gal change and move the corals around a little bit.

zacg

ok thats what i'll do then whats the best way to do a big water change like that i think i put my corals in shock wheni done the 17 gallon change do you take all 15 gallons out then put 15 gallons back in and do you had the 1/2 cup of salt to every gallon that you put back in?

meowzer

This is from Lion Crazz 101 tips thread....I'm too tired to type it myself
23. ALWAYS PREMIX WATER BEFORE ADDING IT TO YOUR TANK. You never want to just mix water with salt right on the spot and just add it to your tank (except for just setting it up – since nothing is in the tank). You need to premix it because if you do not, you may be drastically changing the water levels and making the water very unstable. Always premix the water and make sure the salt level and temperature is exactly where it should be before adding it to your tank.