Corpus Live Sand

jayrascoe

Ok, i know it's illegal, but a friend of mine, (an avid fisherman) who I've shared my excitement with about my tank, brought me about 15 lbs of live sand, that's got a lot of critters in it. He had no idea it was illegal.
He knows i'm wanting to season my tank, and he got it from a remote spot, away from the tourist beach, in the area where the water comes in at low tide.
He mentioned some crabs that were so tiny they were "almost transparent"
I didn't ask him to do it, and i don't condone it, but if it will be beneficial to my tank, i think I can overlook the ethical part of it and put some in my tank.
My tank is 46 gal, 2 months old. He is keeping the LS in a bucket with seawater in it, and i can't pick it up until Friday evening. (2 days). He asked how I wanted him to store it until i can pick it up. he can put together an aerator pump (from a broken down breathing machine!) and he's very handy.
What do you all think?
In my tank now (fyi):
35 lbs live rock
1 astrea snail
1 undefined snail (was in a bag from lfs store on accident)
2 small hermits
1 emerald crab
1 coral banded crab
1 bicolor blenny
1 chromia damsel
1 clarkii clown
1 feather duster
46 gal bowfront, perfect parameters.
I would like to say that I do believe adamantly in wildlife conservation.
If you feel that it is completely wrong, (ethically), and I'm convinced, i'll get him to take it back this weekend (though it will be quite awkward.)
Thanks for any comments.

jayrascoe

how should i go about putting it in my tank- just dump it in there?
will it throw off the salinity or anything?

bang guy

I would acclimate it to the tank salinity and then add it.
If there's a fishy odor that's great, if it smells like wet gym socks then cycle it in a seperate container first until the ammonia level drops to zero.

jayrascoe

how do you suggest i get him to store it until i can pick it up? (is it important?)
he said he can aerate it if i ask him to.

bobk

Where are you in Houston? I'm setting up a 150 up in Atascocita.. Also new to this..