Cortez Stingray needs friends...

firecracker b

Hello. I've got a Cortez Stingray, about 6" in diameter in a 200 gallon established tank with a yellow tang and a regal tang and a tiny blue damsel. I am looking to add more color/movement to the tank and wondering what advice you would give? (This is live rock only, no reef) I'd like to keep my Ray as the star of this tank but would like a little more color. THanks!!

meowzer

HI... Welcome to SWF :)
I use to have a Cortez Ray in my 225G....it was a year before she outgrew it :(
How is your tank set up? Do you have fine sand and lots of beach area for it? Would love to see a picture
You really need to find NON-aggressive fish......some great colorful fish are wrasses or anthias....they will not bother the ray

firecracker b

Thank you for responding. Yes, I have fine sand and lots of beach room. I was thinking about Antheas as well, maybe a school of Bartletts... btw, we're going to look at a 300 gallon this weekend, I could see how he would grow out of this one pretty soon. I have a picture, but I'm new here, can you tell me how to send it?
Thanks!
Lisa

meowzer

At the top tab...click on the icon that looks like a picture.....a box will come up....find your pic..and submit it
ALSO....Be careful not to put anything sharp in the tank....and be careful of fish that are pickers, it is usually advised against to have tangs with rays...BUT...personally I had 3 and never had any issues
What do you feed it?

jay0705

Not knowing much on rays. I just have peaceful fish options. Fire fish,fox face,possible a dwarf angel,cardinals

firecracker b

I feed him Krill and mysis for the most part, every other day or so I throw in a silver slide, he seems to LOVE those..

firecracker b

Update... my fish dudes are at my house as we speak and they're going to get us some Bartlett Antheas...
One more question, I'm feeding mine about 2 to 3 times a day, is that right? I've heard conflicting advice on that.

meowzer

I fed my ray shrimp from Walmart......buy medium frozen shelled shrimp....raw....when she was little I mushed it up a little.....when she got bigger I gave her chunks.....I fed her by hand too
I also fed her every morning
SOME people feed their anthias a few times a day........I feed my fish 1x a day and that is it (I have no anthias tho) LOL......IMO that is plenty
SOMETIMES...I will feed algae sheets.....for treats....
Your pic makes me miss mine :( BUT I donated her to an Aquarium near Oklahoma City that had a stingray display......I know she is much happier

firecracker b

Thank you for the information...very helpful! I didn't know we could feed him grocery store shrimp...that would be wayyy cheaper....thanks so much! And cheers to your ray getting an awesome home.

firecracker b

When you say you fed yours by hand, how exactly did you do that? My LFS said I shouldn't get anywhere near it or I'll get stung, he said to use the claw. I'd really like to actually feed him by hand......

meowzer

I would hold a piece of shrimp at the top of the tank against the glass.....when she came to the top she would take it from me....
The "stinger" is on the back of the tail......not on its head LOL

jay0705

Getting stung is more from spooking the fish then by general contact. I hand feed my lion shrimp and my fox face alage. Both venomous and I've never had an issue. Just let them know your there.