could i keep a mandarin fish in 29 gallon

saltyj

For Mandarin you need at least 100lbs of good LR and a tank that is very mature. I have over 100lbs in a 75gal that has been set up for a few years and I just bought a Mandarin and I am still nervous that he may not have suficient foods. Luckily he eats everything that I feed, which is very very unusual for Mandarin because they only eat Pods. I would research them heavily before buying.

22caddy

Nope. As said you need around 100 lbs of rock to sustain a pod population, which is the mandarins main source of food. It is very rare to find one that will eat brine or mysis shrimp.

rubberduck

YES IT IS POSSIBLE

if you have like 50 pounds of lr and your tank has matured WITH a 10-20 gallon refigium, it is VERY possible.
you just have to wait for over 6 to 10 months as the pods (all of the pods) get settled and a breeding spot has been designated in the refigium. all it takes is time.
well the final anwser is yes IF (and i mean IF) you have the right equitment AND have waited for the tank to mature.
MY 2 cents:D

saltyj

Ok I gave you my opinion take it or leave it. I would wait for some more experienced fish keepers, like Bang or Kip, but you can listen to whomever you want.

organism

honestly I think that 50lbs of live rock with a refugium would produce an initially large amount of pods for your mandarin, but those things can really eat, and I doubt your pod population would sustain over any long period of time
although it's very tempting, I'd suggest waiting until you have a bigger tank, because it is not going to survive in a 29 gallon, in my opinion
just my 2 cents...

rubberduck

still it the key part is let the pod population grow and establish a good breeding place in the refigium

viper_930

Originally posted by RUBBERDUCK
yes THAT IS WHY YOU WAIT FOR YOUR POD POPULATION TO GROW FOR THE 1/2 TO 1 YEAR PERIOD OF TIME.

Mandarins can eat a lot, and will quickly consume the pods from the main display tank, even after 1/2 to a year wait. Then even a 20 gallon refugium wouldn't be able to produce enough enough pods for to feed the mandarin for much longer.
JMO

connor

i wont get one unless it eats something but pods i will say to the lfs guy can i see them eat and if he says no i wont get one

viper_930

Originally posted by connor
i wont get one unless it eats something but pods i will say to the lfs guy can i see them eat and if he says no i wont get one

Good idea. But ask to see him eat mysis shrimp. Many LFS feed the mandarins and scooter blennies brine shrimp, which many would eat, but brine shrimp is not a good diet at all unless enriched or gut loaded with plankton.

ophiura

The real trick with these animals that take months to starve, is to see them after a year. If, after a year in that condition, it is plump and you still see pods, then I would agree that it would work in that 29 set up. But, IMO, this is a marginal system nonetheless. The addition of some other fish might blow it. Definitely needs the rock and fuge...yup, might get by, IMO. It is POSSIBLE, but only under pretty specific circumstances. I think, RUBBERDUCK, you clarified your answer with the "big" IF :) that hopefully people will pay attention to. I agree that it MIGHT be possible in that situation, but it is not a typical situation and many people don't have the patience to do it. So as a quick answer for the majority of 29g reef tanks, I would say no.

gregm779

I've found 2 spotted mandarins that eat brine shrimp. This is the mandarin that has the spots or targets on him. If you go to the LFS just ask them to feed them if he eats a few go for it, if not don't get one. I've never seen a green madarin eat brine, the one with all of the colors, so I would try the other. One of those mandarins is in my friends 12g nano and has been for 9 months. It eats the frozen brine or mysis that are put in the tank.

J

jbk65

Don't know if this helps. I keep my Green Mandarin in a 55 with about 150 - 200 lbs LR. However, when I bought him, I asked to see him feed. The LFS was feeding him Mysis and I have continued to do this. He is still eating pods and Mysis so my pod population doesn't go down much.

gregm779

That's actually the psycadelic mandarin the one in the pic below is the green mandarin. The one in your pic is the one I have succesfully fed prepared food.

J

jbk65

Greg,
Your right, sorry my mistake trying to do too many things at once at work.
LOL

gregm779

Just wanted to clear it up for anyone reading because they actually look as though they should be named the opposite.

swnewb

I am very interested in having one of these guys in my 65g tank when the time is right. Just wondering though, are live pods available to use to jump start a breeding colony?