Could my marine tank be toxic and crippling me?

arizonakid

A while back I brushed my Hammer coral. Two day later I could hardly open or close my hand. At times when I am cleaning the tank or shooting Aptasia, I can feel a tingle, like an extremely mild electric shock although I am not close to any coral. A couple of days later the pain in my knees and hip joints is very intense. Since I do not wear gloves, could it be that I am super sensitive to toxins in the tank. Has anyone else had or heard of this type experience. Thanks
75 gallon reef, 1 hammer, some zoos, sea fans, cabage coral, xenias & shrooms. 5 cromis, 1 clown, 1 Hawaii Tang, 1 Green Brittle Star, 1 Lawnmower Blenny, 1 Yellow Watchman Goby, 2 Peps, 2 Emerald crabs + Astrea Turbo Snails and blue leg hermits.

darkfish

I have heard of many cases where there is electricity running through the tank. I would check that out first. Take turns shutting things down (pumps, etc) and see if it goes away. It could be a faulty heater or something.

Is there anything in your tank that might be putting stray current into the water? And you really should invest in a good pair of rubber gloves... the long kind that go way up your arms.

arizonakid

Good thoughts but I have tested for stray voltage and found it to be nil. I am an ex lineman and have not heard of any amount of electricity causing join pain of a couple days duration. Yes, I do believe the shoulder gloves are a must have for me. Maybe in my old age I have become more susceptable to coral taxins. Thanks all.

pbnj

I've never experienced ongoing pain/discomfort, but I've definitely been stung by my bubble coral and frogspawn.....and felt it.

meowzer

Get one of the grounding probes for your tank...better safe than sorry...if there is stray voltage it's bad for the fish

There is a girl that i go to church with that is allergic to the salt water. Maybe try just sticking your arm into your water change bucket for a while next time you do a water change.

renogaw

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/2953435
Get one of the grounding probes for your tank...better safe than sorry...if there is stray voltage it's bad for the fish
Grounding probes only work if they are plugged into a GFCI outlet or protected circuit.
Originally Posted by GeoJ

http:///forum/post/2953444
zoanthids have a powerful poison (playtoxin)
if it were palytoxin the OP wouldn't be writing...

hyattdk2000

I had hives covering my hole body I had to go on Prenazone it may be the tank we are not quite sure........I would wear gloves better safe than sorry. It is so hard to figure out what is making a person sick.
I know I am buying the coral gloves I am not taking anymore chances. My doctor was stumped at what my body did swelling everywhere I did not even look like me the only thing I did different was touching hammer corals I purchased with my bare hands. And moving live rock and stuff around in the tank.

renogaw

theres a story somewhere on some site (maybe even his own) about how some guy got stung by a coral, and it ended up landing him in the hospital with skin grafts and everything...

geoj

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/2953666
Grounding probes only work if they are plugged into a GFCI outlet or protected circuit.
if it were palytoxin the OP wouldn't be writing...
Yep, and if you don’t get a lethal dose you may have a large allergic reaction.

vkuroczka

Originally Posted by slt wtr stupid
http:///forum/post/2953644
There is a girl that i go to church with that is allergic to the salt water. Maybe try just sticking your arm into your water change bucket for a while next time you do a water change.
thats medically not possible. your body is made of water. have you ever tasted your tears?? salty.......

meowzer

renogaw;2953666 said:
Well my probe isn't plugged in, it's bolted directly to a ground wire in a receptacle....

geoj

I think the point is that the old building code has been up-dated because of fatal electrocution. So GFCI are needed for more protection.

dustyboy316

Originally Posted by vkuroczka
http:///forum/post/2953982
thats medically not possible. your body is made of water. have you ever tasted your tears?? salty.......
Well it could be something in his water imparticulatr. He would have to take a bucket of it out and put in a bucket to test that out.

renogaw

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/2953987
Well my probe isn't plugged in, it's bolted directly to a ground wire in a receptacle....
sorry yea, grounding probes can come with just the bolt to the ground wire, with a plug in, or like mine, with both the plug and the bolt :) sorry and thanks for reminding me :)

renogaw

Originally Posted by vkuroczka
http:///forum/post/2953982
theres a big difference between sea water and the water in our bodies. there's tons more elements in sea water that the person can be illergic to. I get hives sometimes if i'm in my salt water longer than an hour

wattsupdoc

Definitely it could be something in the tank. These things are teaming with bacteria for one thing. The hammer could have given you a zap I suppose. Or who knows exactly. You cant rule out palytoxins, it is possible to get a small dose and hove an allergic reaction. I personally believe it takes a lot more o0f the stuff than what is commonly believed in the hobby. However, don't rule out just developing an allergy to something that you used to be OK with. Many people develop allergies as the get older. My father in law suddenly became allergic to ginger. He had a horrible encounter where his face swelled up and couldn't breath. Just about killed him. He had just eaten a couple ginger snaps.

Where the gloves. Make note of everything you did 48 hrs prior to the event. Also, try to consider other things that may have been going on around you at the time. Things that you didnt actually do, but may have had an effect on you.
Except for the swelling, I'd say your likley to be just like me....an old worn out sparky....

natclanwy

I also get hives if I work in my tank for extended periods or if I get tank water on some my more delicate areas like the insides of my arms above the elbow or if I rub my eyes before I wash my hands.
I have read about people experiencing joint pain after being stung by corals, fish, anemones, or working with zoas. As far as palytoxin is concerned I still haven't found conclusive evidence that it is present (at least in significant quantities) in the zoas and palys that are commonly available to hobbyists and if it is present, with the shear number of people keeping them and handling them without gloves you would think you would hear more about hospitalizations or deaths than we do. It is definitely better to error on the side of caution and wear gloves though.
I also have heard of people that have been electrocuted having severe joint pain afterword for several months even.