Could we catch this??????????

kelly

Very doubtful!! First off I assume most of us do not eat our fish, at least I never did.
The article states the following: "The actual toxin is produced by microscopic sea plants, which are eaten by smaller fish that are, in turn, eaten by larger fish such as barracuda, grouper, sea bass and snapper. The toxins become increasingly concentrated as they move up the food chain."

Very interesting disease though, thanks for sharing the link, if I get the symptoms from eating fish, I will know that it has to be treated within 72 hrs.

rslinger

You dont think maybe it is from the slime off the coral the fish eat? Maybe us playing (cleaning) our tanks over time we will absorb it?

t316

I wonder if most of these fish are coming from third world countries, where who knows what is in the water? Sounded like it was rare in the US, and when it is here, it's from imported fish.

aquaknight

I really didn't think this was that unknown? Anybody who's casted a line into SW with the intent of keeping and eating their catch, knows, or should know about ciguatera. When we go fishing the mangroves in the Keyes, we only keep Cuda less then 3', and only med. sized Snapper for this specific reason. Large 'cuda are almost guaranteed to have ciguatera.
Originally Posted by Rslinger
http:///forum/post/2970215
You dont think maybe it is from the slime off the coral the fish eat? Maybe us playing (cleaning) our tanks over time we will absorb it?
No, as the article mentioned it has to be passed up the food chain for you to notice effects. That goes along with what is commonly thought, that there's a greater chance older/more mature fish have ciguatera/levels that humans can feel the effects.