Couple of unknowns

foodshape

Spotted this one on the glass, at most 2mm in diameter. Some sort of starfish? Is it ok or a pest?

Also started to take notice of these. They seem to be multiplying and are only really evident on my overflow (because they stand out against the black - have to assume they are all over the tank. Smaller, hard to tell, but seem kind of snail-shaped to be. I do have astrea and turbo snails, are these juveniles of those, or hitch-hikers of some other type?

Zoomed in as much as I usefully can on the largest of them...

Thanks!

silverado61

One big question. Do they move or stay in one spot. Bang Guy, you helped me ID the ones in my tank (thank you by the way) and these don't look like Spirorbidae Worms. Everything I've read since tells me that they don't move about the tank. Foodshape, do they move around the tank? BTW congrats on the sea star, however, I don't know how long it will last.

mr llimpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado61 http:///t/396415/couple-of-unknowns#post_3532525
One big question. Do they move or stay in one spot. Bang Guy, you helped me ID the ones in my tank (thank you by the way) and these don't look like Spirorbidae Worms. Everything I've read since tells me that they don't move about the tank. Foodshape, do they move around the tank? BTW congrats on the sea star, however, I don't know how long it will last.
They move just like reg. star fish do. They mainly eat detruis and algae, but some will feed on coral need to watch. They multiply by dividing. They are a plus for Fish only tank.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr LLimpid http:///t/396415/couple-of-unknowns#post_3532528
They move just like reg. star fish do. They mainly eat detruis and algae, but some will feed on coral need to watch. They multiply by dividing. They are a plus for Fish only tank.

I have a black background, those whatever they are spots, kind of looks like a starry night in the tank. I don't think they hurt anything, I thought they were snail eggs to be honest...although none ever "hatched"

The little white starfish, I even had them in my reef, and they did no harm to any of my coral...but I didn't have any SPS types.

foodshape

I think the little white spot things do move, though too slowly for me to really see it. The little Asterina starfish moved more quickly and disappeared somewhere within a day. I've since been back to the LFS where I got the two corals these seem to have hitched a ride in on. It's a place that specializes in SW and reef setups; I noticed a number of the starfish in at least one of their frag tanks - everything there looked healthy though and I didn't get the impression they were concerned.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodshape http:///t/396415/couple-of-unknowns#post_3532665
I think the little white spot things do move, though too slowly for me to really see it. The little Asterina starfish moved more quickly and disappeared somewhere within a day. I've since been back to the LFS where I got the two corals these seem to have hitched a ride in on. It's a place that specializes in SW and reef setups; I noticed a number of the starfish in at least one of their frag tanks - everything there looked healthy though and I didn't get the impression they were concerned.

I had heard that those little white starfish were bad for coral, I never had any trouble with them either.