CPR bak pak 2 and it came with an accela pump

carlos413

I picked up a CPR bak pak 2 and it came with an accela pump. CPR used to recommend ether the maxi jet 1200 or a Rio pump, not sure what model but it don’t matter because I was not going with the Rio. My question is the accela pump better than the maxi jet and if so why? I’D like to get input from people that have actual experience with ether of these pumps on this skimmer.
This is the reason CPR says they recommend the Accela pump:
From the CPR web site
CPR is pleased to announce an exciting new enhancement to our popular Bak-Pak protein skimmer line.
New Accela pump is similar to the Maxi-jet 1200; however, it includes some important added benefits. The pump has been modified to include a venturi intake which efficiently draws in more air with less restriction on the pump. This results in more effective protein skimming with a significantly increased "sweet spot" for skimmer operation.

• Increased air to water ratio

• Less restriction on the pump results in longer pump life
    Modest power consumption- 20% less than the Maxi-jet 1200
    UL listed with a 6 ft. grounded plug
I am just trying to run this skimmer as efficient as possible; it was the best I could afford.
Thank you.

meowzer

I use to have a CPR with the Accella.....liked it..worked great
now someone else has it...and I believe he really likes it too

1guydude

Yep GREAT SKIMMER!!!!! I have the accella pump...and an extra now just in case. =)
The extra one however wont be needed i dont think for some time to come...
I have found my sweetspot on it and i pull a considerable amount of green tea every week!
Only downfall i can think of is no surface skimming (which is where a lot of the protiens add up)...
You will enjoy this skimmer! I have the bubble trap built into the 2nd chamber. I reccomend this add on...or u could stuff some marco in it and put a light over it for a fuge....
also i have to clean mine out every now and again because detituis builds up on the bottom...
dont forget that the out tube for the water should be crooked a lil so most of the air bubbles escapes to the surface before being blown around in ur DT...another thing i saw!
All in all i give it a thumbs up! It works as a skimmer should!
btw mine is on a 36bow that is pretty stocked!

1guydude

lol ya i figured u may pick that up!
U got it on order or something? You'll dig it! I leave mine on 24/7 no real problems yet and ive had it for at least 6 months now!

carlos413

lol ya i figured u may pick that up!
U got it on order or something? You'll dig it! I leave mine on 24/7 no real problems yet and ive had it for at least 6 months now!
I found an add on Craig's L the individual started buying the equipment to convert his 75 gallon Fw to salt. He's fallen on hard times and had to sell some of the equipment he had. Hes had two cpr bak pak' 2r brand new in the box, he was asking for $50 each. I felt bad for the guy so I only got one. I gave him $75 and told him to try and keep the other. We exchanged numbers and I told him when he gets his tank going I'd be willing to get him some frags to start up with. I got a good deal however It was due to someones miss fortune.
I set the skimmer first thing this morning going threw the micro bubbles at the moment. I did what you suggested and turned the out let to reduce the micro bubbles. Thanks again

1guydude

right on! Nothin like passin on the hobby to someone like that! I offer free frags to people every now and again as well! Kinda moves the hobby lil bits at a time imo!
Is it loud? Like makin that water fall noise at all? Mine was a lil loud and i turned it back (underwater) a tiny but but enought to let it get a lil air (after break-in) and it silenced up!

carlos413

will see how loud it is when night falls it dont sound too loud atm. I have a filter sock on the outlet to help with the micro bubbles, it seems quite with thar sock on.