cpr hob refugium worth it?

I got a 75 gallon and will be adding a skimmer and maybe a fuge to help my nitrate problem
i want to know if i get the hob fuge witch will be like 24x12x4 will it really help the tank? If so how much are we talking?
I already have sand and cheato along with a 6k light so im set but i dont want to spend 100 bucks if it aint going to do anything for me so let me know what you all think!
Also cant have a sump period!!! Floor cant hold it!

dstoneburg

hmm, Why cant the floor handle it? Anyways, a refugium while a great place to hide unsightly cheato, it also serves as a wonderful place to alow the population of copepods to grow. It gives them a "Safe-haven". I think the major benefit and why most do get refugiums is to toss the cheato in there. If you want to keep a mandarin down the line, a refug is a must. Also even if you pass on a mandarin the copepods serve as a great natural food source to most of your current tank inhabitants.

nycbob

yes a fuge will definitely make the water quality better. r u over feeding ur fish or not changing water often? the cpr hob fuge is good, bc i hv it in my 150 to hide the cheato. make sure u buy the cf light w it.

Yes the floor is just holding my tank and my moms bf the building constructor said not to put anymore weight on the floor period and mom is the boss so its no about the sump!
A hob fuge 5 gallon is going to cost me around 150 bucks as where the filter mod is going to be free as i have tons of them so i just want to know is it worth the money or just have the hob fuge in the filter?
I am only wanting a fuge for nitrate reduction not pods or safe place or extra water just for micro alage/nitrate reducer!
Let me know thanks

dstoneburg

Well you answered the question yourself... Do you want to spend the 150 on a nice one? Or do you wanna mod yours and have it for free?

in a way yes and no because i want to know how much better the 5 gallon will be over the 2 hob filter you know?
I am thinking about a sump now so plans might change gotta price it out first!

matt819

They're very nice and beneficial in my opinion. I have the medium one on the back of my 55, and I think it's made a huge difference in my tank. I got it for nitrate exportation...but now I understand it's also good to have a safe place for pods to grow as well - they are detrivores, many things benefit from pods. It's also nice to have a seperate small tank which is lit on an opposite cycle as your display to prevent pH swings.

you all think there that good? I was gonna get a remora aqua c skimmer and do a large hob fuge
but if there that good why not do a combo
what about bubbles? How often to you empty the skimmer cup?

michaeltx

you do realize that even if you do a hang on your adding weight and if she is against anymore weight added to the tank you may have a problem. they are worth it though there are some cheaper models youll just have to search for them
Mike

fishyfrenzy

I don't know why everyone only considers the CPR models. JEBO makes a completely fine refugium. But don't get the one with the protein skimmer.

And, you can pick one up for about half the price.

waterlogged

Originally Posted by alfieferenzo84
I got a 75 gallon and will be adding a skimmer and maybe a fuge to help my nitrate problem
i want to know if i get the hob fuge witch will be like 24x12x4 will it really help the tank? If so how much are we talking?
I already have sand and cheato along with a 6k light so im set but i dont want to spend 100 bucks if it aint going to do anything for me so let me know what you all think!
Also cant have a sump period!!! Floor cant hold it!
If they are adding a skimmer and a fuge why not have them in one unit.

well when i look i can only find cpr but i will look into that, the only other model i found was on that bidding site and you have to put it together and it wasent much cheaper and looked like junk!
I would get the skimmer and fuge together but i was told there junk plus there like 350 for a setup, i could do a used hob fuge for around 80 and then a good hob skimmer for 120 and thats only 200 for way better stuff!
but that is a good idea if the skimmer was better or if i had proof they work!

ducky

I have had a CPR HO Refugium for 5 or 6 years. I had to mod it a bit to fit on my tank but it worked great for years. Since my move into my new set up I plan to actually set it up in my fuge as a supplemental fuge. I probably wouldn't buy it for my current setup but it is great if you can't have a sump.