Crap....Crap......Crap.......CRAAAAAP!!!

shrimpdady

I just got home tonight and discovered that my tank is leaking from somwhere on the bottom.
My tank is set up on the bar between my kitchen and livingroom.
The leak is pretty slow and I can't see the crack because it is coming fom the underside of the tank.
I am going to buy a new 55 gallon to replace it(this one was used, got it from an uncle).
Any tips on moving everything from the old tank to the new tank? This is my livestock....
1-Oscellaris Clownfish
1-Black Saddle Clown
1-Royal Gramma
1-Lawnmower Blenny
1-Coral Beauty
1-Pink Spotted Watchman Goby
1-Peppermint Shrimp
1-Cleaner Shrimp
1-Porcelain Crab
1-Emerald Crab
1-Brittle Starfish
2-Sea Hares
1-Bubble Tip Anemone
25-Blue Legged Hermits
Mushrooms
Zoos
Red Open Brain
Frogspawn
55Lbs.-Live Rock
25 Lbs.-Base Rock
40 Lbs.-Live Sand
As an afterthought, I live in a pier and beam house. Could it support the weight of a 75 gal. tank and stand on the floor?

moby

AW MAN THAT BLOWS!

I would do it quickly! That crack could give at any minute! I am sorry to hear this sort of thing.
If you can see under the house at the beams you should be able to eyeball if it looks strong enough.
Moby

alyssia

I feel your pain. I came home a couple of years ago to a 55 gallon FW tank half empty and water EVERYWHERE.

shrimpdady

Yeah, it really sucks.
Unfortunately, my job requires me to be at work tomorrow morning and I won't finish until at least 2:00 PM (I am an estimator at a construction company and I have a job that I have to bid tomorrow that is worth about 1 million dollars to the company) at which time I am going to video my cousins High School Graduation, so I can't get started until about 5:00 PM.
I hope it holds up until then.
Any advice on the tank switch?

magooo2

I think as long as you are just going to transfer the current sw into the new tank it shouldn't be an issue. The sand will make it cloudy but will calm down in a few days since its not new sand. Place the fish in buckets and they should be fine during the move(circulate the water). I am sure there are some extravegant ways of doing it but im my opinion....
the faster the better. I am not saying you wont lose any live stock, but how long due you want to dink around with it. Thats my 2 cents

grilai

Get a couple of trashcans (new or used), four trashcan liners to cover the trashcans. Use your pump to get the water from your tank to the trashcans; you can also put your LR inside the trashcan carefully. You can also use a five gls bucket to put your fish and everything else. I did this a month ago with great success when I moved to my new house; I bought a new fish tank, this time acrylic 80 gls corner shape.

grilai

I would but I have to review and approve or decline the estimate that you are giving to my company tomorrow. JKG

psusocr1

of it makes you feel better i cracked my 200 gallon tank with a ROCK! talk about a drip, it flooded a good portion of my basement!

symon

i would pick up 2 trach cans, put the lr and ls in one with some water and a powerhead, the other with the fish power head and heater!
set up the new tank, put your sand and lr and water in, mix up some new water to finish filling it! get it cycling and test it before you put your fish in! Stirring up the LS like that may cause a serious spike, might want to let it run a few days till things calm down, once stable put your fish back in!
I was thinking, if your going to have to upgrade tanks, nows the time to get a bigger one!

agent707

I read a REALLY good website that talked about tank weights and normal household structure weight support...etc. etc.
This was writen by an engineer. He stated that just about any house could withstand a 120 gallon tank about anywhere... any bigger than that you have to start considering where you put it, and/or possible support.
I wouldn't worry at all about a 75 or 90.

mag395

It might be a good idea to take some water out of the tank in the meantime to alleviate the pressure on the crack. I've never had a leak but it seems logical that less water = less pressure.

shrimpdady

Originally Posted by Agent707
I read a REALLY good website that talked about tank weights and normal household structure weight support...etc. etc.
This was writen by an engineer. He stated that just about any house could withstand a 120 gallon tank about anywhere... any bigger than that you have to start considering where you put it, and/or possible support.
I wouldn't worry at all about a 75 or 90.
Thanks for the info....I am strongly considering the 75 gallon, I don't want to have to buy all new lights, though I will have to buy another 48" power compact.