Crazy Myth's Lets hear them

Originally Posted by PEZenfuego
http:///forum/post/2979900
either or.
I've heard both.
Supposedly both are stripped of nutrients to the point that they are hungry and obsorb nutrients from you body and dispose of them.
I dont see why. That would make no sense its just purified water. idk though

florida joe

With out question the biggest myth on swf is that I may know what I am talking about.

But since myth is a legendary lore it may or not be false

tonysi

A frogfish and a small damsel would be ok in a tank together.
A stars and stripes puffer would be ok in a 30 gal with a yellow tang.

jackri

Originally Posted by PEZenfuego
http:///forum/post/2979900
either or.
I've heard both.
Supposedly both are stripped of nutrients to the point that they are hungry and obsorb nutrients from you body and dispose of them.
OK all you RO/DI naysayers for drinking purposes on "hearsay" only -- I did some research (I drink only RO water btw and consider myself healthy and happy)
The following is cut from a letter in the archives of this site. I think it explains the situation very well.
As for the relative potability of the pure waters, the difference in waters is very small. There is no adverse health affect from drinking distilled or deionized water. Deionized water tastes kind of bland & somewhat insipid, and distilled water has no taste at all. Some people get used to these qualities & drink them all the time. In either case, the taste is improved by aeration--if you shake the pure waters up with some air, the taste improves. The taste of any given water is largely imparted by the various mineral components; many of the drinking waters on the market today are, in fact, purified tap water to which minerals have been added (Avalon, etc). By law, drinking waters can not have more than 1000 parts per million of dissolved solids, so when you get down to the analysis of most available waters, there really isn't much difference between tap water, mineral water, or purified waters (no nutritional difference -->at all<-- between any of them!) As far as the health issue is concerned, it is true, water is hypotonic to cells & will destroy them. However, tap water is also hypotonic to cells. Your skin & stomach & intestinal linings are perfectly suited for thriving in and processing water. If you were to inject water into your blood, cells would die. If you cut your skin & wash the wound, the exposed cells do die. Fortunately, the fats that lyse out of the exposed wound quickly makes the wound less susceptible to water damage. Any ultrapure water you drink will quickly dissolve some saliva from your mouth--as soon as it has dissolved few parts per million of any substance, it is no longer ultrapure anyway. If it is a concern & all you have to drink is ultrapure water, you can stir the water with a metal stainless spoon or your finger first & it will magically transform itself from ultrapure water to just water.
END OF QUOTE
Bill Reynolds
consultant metallurgist
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia

fishlawyer

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2979912
With out question the biggest myth on swf is that I may know what I am talking about.

But since myth is a legendary lore it may or not be false
I have listened to you quite a few times and havn't had any problems yet!

txfishman

A shark or ray will live long term in a 75. There is a inch/per gallon rule. Aiptasia is a good thing in a reef.

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by txfishman
http:///forum/post/2979996
A shark or ray will live long term in a 75. There is a inch/per gallon rule. Aiptasia is a good thing in a reef.

There was something I meant to add a while ago. I totally spaced it. The inch per gallon rule, that is.
I am not 100% against it though and here's why.
This advice isn't completely terrible to tell to a freshwater newbie.
Generally speaking, freshwater newbies don't have a clue as to how many fish they can get. This gives them a rough idea as to how many fish they can get and of what size.
This concept is COMPLETELY different for saltwater.
Even though a 10 inch fish in a ten gallon tank is stupid...not very many people with a ten gallon tank will be wanting fish that big and common sense SHOULD prevent this for anyone with more than 10 brain cells. Better Meo?
Simply put:
That rule=crap for this hobby.

txfishman

It is ok to put a fish in your tank with out putting it in QT. Floating the fish in the bag for 15 minutes is safe.