Crinoids: Feather Star

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I know these creatures are not the easiest to keep in aquaria, but if anyone has exp with these, I'd apprecaite your sharing info here. I acquired one yesturday. Its doing quite well, so far.
Thanks.

blennybabe

Where did you get one? I have wanted on forever! no one around here can get them, or wont get them because they are so fragile and have a very low sucess rate. Do you have a pic? The only ones I have seen are huge and in their natural environment. I did a little research on them. the dont really like light and most are nocturnal feeders. they require frequent feedings of plankton or something similar. they do better in a very established tank. The branching type are the most difficult to keep because they are so fragile. If they arent happy, then they will shed their arms like a featherduster loses its crown. Thats about all I have read. I havent done much research because I cant get one. If you got yours online, please email me the address of where. My address is Mylilpony7@aol.com
PS. Thanks for all your help with my sick Blenny. He looks wonderful now, I think he even gained some weight from all the frozen food I fed him.

nm reef

Beth....I don't know anything about them and I've never seen them offered either on-line or in any of my LFS's...but I have heard they can be difficult to keep. Here is a link to info...hope it helps a bit...and good luck with yours.:cool:
feather stars(Crinoids)

bang guy

Hi Beth,
I have never heard of a hobbiest being successful with a Feather Star. Maybe you will be the first. :) They need a massive amount of plankton of the appropriate size to survive.
Guy

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I got this one from the LPS. There is an advanced aquarist working there now who is in charge of the "fish section". He has some source for rather "rare" specimens and sells them to people who he thinks can take care of them.
I don't have a pic, but I found a pic of what mine looks like:

I do want to try and keep this one alive alap, so any help from people who know about them, particularly feeding suggestions, would be appreciated.
I do have a reef tank. I have some marine snow [TwoLittleFishies] and some CoralHeaven that I can offer it. I haven't really needed to think much about additives until now, as the reef tank has offered enough suspended foods to the existing filter feeders, at least until now. What is a best supplement out there for filter feeders?
This guy basically feeds at night or early morning. Extending its arms to capture organics in the water column. Last night, as usual, I wiped down the diatoms that accumulate during the day on front glass. This resulted in stimulating the feeding response of my specimen. Additionally, the guy who sold him to me suggested that I stir the sand bed lightly—as this would provide suspended food in the water for the star. I found what looks like a pretty informative site, http://www.nova.edu/ocean/messing/cr...pagelist.html, which substantiates that crinoids eat diatom as well as sandbed detritus.
Thanks all for your help offered.

blennybabe

How is your star Beth? I actually saw one today when I was visiting some fish stores that I havent been to yet. I would like to know if yours is doing well or not, now that I have found a place that can get them. Thanks

Just doing a search on feather starfish, I found many on-line stores have them. MarineDepotLive has them for 15 bucks.
The Himerometra species. Looks pretty, but hard to keep according to what I have read.