chuckcac

temp = 79
Sp G = 1.025
Amm = 0
trite = 0
trate = 0
pH = 8.0
dKH = 5.0 (89.5)
Ca = over 400-500 (off the chart so i am guessing a little)
55gal display + 10gal refuge (RDH) + 10gal sump

bang guy

dKH is a bit low, Baking Soda can fix that.
What time of day did you test the PH?
Get a better Calcium test kit...

ninjamini

Alk is low and calcium is either high, normal or low. You dont know because you are not using a good test kit. Since low alk raises calcium first get alk up to 9 then test calcium with a good test kit.
If you cant figure the one you have or cant read it get another test kit. I just had a alk/ calcium issue and lernt this. I went with a salifert calk test kit and it was the first one that I could figure out.

chuckcac

Thanks guys,
Yeah, i use RODI...
i'm using API test kits across the board... i got them for chrismas and i hoped to use them untill they run out and replace them with something better.
i'll spring for the Ca test early then...
you guys like Salifert?
i started adding 1/2tsp of baking soda per night for two nights now....
and the dKH is sort of 5.5 ( scheduled to add again tonight if needed)
I just worry about it only being a termporary fix to the problem.... or creating an unstable pH... (it seems to be rock-steady as of now and i'd hate to kill that)
i test the pH at 10pm during the week
(my DT lights are on for 10hrs at this point)
and around 11am on sunday before my water change
(lights are not on yet)
.....my refugium is on reverse daylight hours so pH is generally pretty rock-steady over 24hrs

chuckcac

Retest last night
temp = 79
Sp G = 1.025
Amm = 0
trite = 0
trate = 0
pH = 8.0 / 8.2
dKH = 6.0
Ca = 520
so i added another 1/2 tsp of Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda)
i will test again tonight...
i dont think there was anything wronmg with the test kit.... i think the Ca was just WAY too high for the test...
i plan to get another to check it against
DragonZim - do you test Ca?

dragonzim

Originally Posted by chuckcac
http:///forum/post/2514235
Retest last night
temp = 79
Sp G = 1.025
Amm = 0
trite = 0
trate = 0
pH = 8.0 / 8.2
dKH = 6.0
Ca = 520
so i added another 1/2 tsp of Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda)
i will test again tonight...
i dont think there was anything wronmg with the test kit.... i think the Ca was just WAY too high for the test...
i plan to get another to check it against
DragonZim - do you test Ca?
Not as often as I should. Doing a 10 gallon water change tonight. I'll have to test everything before I do.

chuckcac

maybe next time we get together, i can bring 5mL of water over and compare my Ca test to yours... (instead of spending $30 on another Ca test - i just dont have the funds)

tacoma38

most lfs will check water for free.i was using api but there calcium test is off alot.like 100 pts off.your kh is too low,you want about 10,and only water changes help kh.just my 2cents

tacoma38

most lfs will check water for free.i was using api but there calcium test is off alot.like 100 pts off.your kh is too low,you want about 10,and only water changes help kh.just my 2cents.also you want your calcium about 420 to 450,higher then that starts to do harm.

dragonzim

Originally Posted by chuckcac
http:///forum/post/2514536
maybe next time we get together, i can bring 5mL of water over and compare my Ca test to yours... (instead of spending $30 on another Ca test - i just dont have the funds)
Sure man, no problem