crocodile fish?

B

blkmonday

i was in my lfs today and saw a crocodile fish? he was around 25 bucks...i was tempted but never heard of one before. he looks sort of like a flounder and stays on the bottom. i wander if hed be good at keeping my live sand from getting algea on it. does anyone have any experience with these fish? would they get along with 2 triggers (huma,niger) in a 72 gallon tank?

hammerhed7

I have never heard of them, but generally anything that is a slower moving fish probably won't mix well with triggers.

sepulatian

Please post a picture of this fish, or find out the scientific name. The LFS should have it on their invoice.

sepulatian

Hm, that article is from 1973 so they may not be available for hobbyists anymore. The OP described it as "flounder looking". We shall see if this is what he saw.

B

blkmonday

yea thats the fish...very odd looking right? i like agressive fish...but 22cm maybe a little too big for a 72 gallon tank. i wander if my lfs got him on accident. i was checking him out...hea about 3 inches long now. i was looking for something that would sift my sandbed and help cut down on algea. my triggers eat all snails and crabs...and having to manually clean the sanbed and rocks all the time is very time consuming. im still curious about this little guy...but i dont want to be stuck with a 2 foot monster in about a year that eats everything in my tank...im also not sure if he can adjust to eating anything other than live fish. hmmmm. im gonna stop in the store again this week and see if hes still there...i may have to become a guinea pig and see how he works out. my tank is pretty bare other that my triggers and a domino damsel. maybe i will learn something here...we will see

meowzer

It says could get up to 50 cm.....I think that is better left in the ocean, or with someone who has one of those humongous shallow shark ponds.

small triggers

not only is that going to get large, but frankly it just looks scary. I have never seen anything like that in all my years (okay like 10 times) of snorkeling, lol

sean48183

My lfs had one about a year ago and I did the same thing. Thought about buying him and went home and looked it up. Thing gets 3-4' long and is brutally carniverous. It was weird how much his face looked just like a crocodile though.

makoshrk2

You say you want something to clean your sand bed, but don't know if it will eat anything other than live fish???? Doesn't make sense. Just look at the fish, it's not shaped to sift sand, and the name is alligator fish. Clearly it will eat everything in your tank, including triggers if it it big enough.

B

blkmonday

needles to say i changed my mind...i read they eat starfish for snacks...id hate to lose my choclate chip and my brittle starfish. maybe i will just get another starfish...the triggers dont seem to mind them

saka bra

if you got that, im pretty sure you would be the only person in the world that had one in their home aquarium.

small triggers

if you get a sand sifting star, and some sand trulling snails,,, you should be good. my triggers never messed with my sand sifting star.