Current USA Lighting question?

geckoxp

From a post I made in the noob section...I am thinking about upgrading my lighting from the Coralife that I am currently using 260W to something more substantial..
I was thinking about picking up the Current USA Outer Orbit Fixture, 2x150W Metal Halide HQIs & 4X54W T5s, 48 inch
Has anyone used this lighting system and would it be good enough to cover most if not all corals? I think the T5 lighting would be better then the CFs that another Current USA has for $50 less. Right now I can just put softies in the tank but if I wanted to put a BTA or another higher lighting coral I want to make sure I am covered.
Can anyone mention one that they feel would cover most if not all corals that would not break the bank or what that one be fine?

meowzer

I have that light, but with 3 250Watt metal halides,and it is a 72" light
I really like it....what size is your tank?

geckoxp

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3131778
I have that light, but with 3 250Watt metal halides,and it is a 72" light
I really like it....what size is your tank?
Its a 90G 48in L...so it would come with the following:
- Model: 1072
- Length: 48"
- 10000K PowerPaq: 2 x 150W
- Actinic 460nm: 2 x 54W
- Actinic 420nm: 2 x 54W
- Lunar Light Blue/White: 9/9
- Dimensions: 48" x 15" x 4.25"
- Total Watts: 529
- Total Amps: 4.6

meowzer

Well I have a 225G and the 250w's work for me...Like I said before I really like the light too...My tank is 30" deep so I felt 250W was necessary also

geckoxp

I'm going to measure the height later on tonight but its about 24in Deep...need for dual 250s or would 150s be ok?

meowzer

Originally Posted by GeckoXp
http:///forum/post/3131852
I'm going to measure the height later on tonight but its about 24in Deep...need for dual 250s or would 150s be ok?
I wouldn't want to guess on that one....I have read a lot of people with that size doing well with 150's...I am no light expert, I can only tell you about my experiences...
I am sure someone else will answer that for you

geckoxp

I believe dual 150s with the T5 lighting should do pretty well from what I have understood and read. For your size tank I can completely understand where you would need the 250s.
They also offer the setup with just the CF lighting instead of the T5s...but from what I understand the T5s are the only way to go and they last longer correct?