custom biofilter..will it work?

fulcrum

Here is my first stab at a design. Please criticize the heck out of it. I want lots of feedback before I attempt to build it.
My first concern is detritus buildup in the rock chamber. Are there any critters that could negotiate that kind of environment?

B

bt_1999_66

It will not only work, but I consider it will work much better than a lot of the ones I have seen out there....
The fiji rubble is a winner.... Try to pack it as tight as you possibly can....Slows down the flow and will work even better....

fulcrum

Since its above the water line, I thought exposed LR might stink up the house. The biobale is what's in my CPR Wet/dry now. I figured it would be better than open airspace?
Do you think I should eliminate it? If so, should I fill with more LR or leave as an airspace?

overanalyzer

Originally posted by fulcrum
Since its above the water line, I thought exposed LR might stink up the house. The biobale is what's in my CPR Wet/dry now. I figured it would be better than open airspace?
Do you think I should eliminate it? If so, should I fill with more LR or leave as an airspace?

Hmmm good questions - not sure I was just curious - wouldn't biobale exposed to the air stink up your house as well as live rock does??
I would leave that area empty and then you can use it for other filter material if need be down the road .....
Of course I would keep asking as I do not have a ton of practical knowledge - all of my tanks have been pretty small to this date!

fulcrum

The biobale doesn't have any living things on it, that might stink up when exposed to air.
I figured if there was life on the rock, and aired out, it might wreak like hell. Since biobale is just plastic shavings, it only provides a home for the bacteria, which dont stink too badly.
As I undertand it, biobale also acts to create lots of surface area with the water, enhancing oxygen entrainment. That is versus leaving the space empty.

jumpfrog

Great design which should give all the filtration you need. If this is going to used for your reef I think I would forgo the bio-bale. Yes, it adds additional surface area for bacteria, but it will also trap plenty of material as well. I know you have your pre-filter, but stuff still gets through. If the stuff gets to your LR rubble there will probably be plenty of bugs to eat and keep the amount of matter down. Trapped in the bio-bale it will be a constant source of nutrient for nitrate growth.
Please let us know how this works out. And, Good Luck!

fulcrum

This is actually for my FO tank. I was thinking of the best way to eliminate nitrates and provide more natural filtration. I don't think the DSB in it will be as effective as it should, since my triggers eat the pods and I've never seen a worm.
My reef actually has a 5-6" DSB and 100 pounds of fiju live-rock. I think it should be a in pretty good shape.
Good point on the trapping of stuff. It happens in my current wet/dry. I have to wash out the media in used tank water once a month.

bang guy

What's the footprint on the sand bed?
What flow rate are you envisioning?
I would make the outlet larger or better yet... have two of them. That would allow you to increase the flow rate and if one is plugged by algae it has less chance of flooding.
The rubble is not going to help your Nitrate levels. Amphipods and Mysid Shrimp should thrive in that environment.
I would remove the prefilter and the bio bale.
For Algae I suggest Spaghetti (Chaetomorpha sp.).

fulcrum

Sand bed footprint : 12 x 24
Flowrate: Equal to my return pump ~800 gph (I also worry this is too high...comments?)
If I remove the prefiter, the difuser plate splashes like a mo-fo! (I plan on using the assembly from my CPR wetdry). Why is it bad to have in there? I can remove the biobale easily. Should I fill this space with LR or leave it empty?
I know rubble wont help nitrates....thats what the DSB and Algae are for....I hope.
The philosophy is to replace my wet/dry with this setup. To reap benefits from natural filtration, and nitrate removal.
This great...this is the critique I need!!!

fulcrum

bump.
Anymore criticism...I'm going to start building this thing soon and I want all the input I can get.

bang guy

I would try to find a creative way of stopping to splashing without the pre-filter. That type of filtration is going to be trouble.
1) Traps detritus needed to feed the sand bed
2) Traps larval worms and larvae from other sand infauna required to maintain the sand bed populations.

fulcrum

That makes sense. The prefilter is gone I can put some sort of loose baffling in there to break up splashing.
Does that mean any aquarium with an "in-line" prefilter will trap this infauna?

krunk

That is a great idea!! I might use something like that on my trigger tank. I need something too keep the nitrates down.

bang guy

Originally posted by fulcrum
Does that mean any aquarium with an "in-line" prefilter will trap this infauna?

Yep! Mechanical filtration is bad for sand beds.