Cut the crap NCAA and pay your college athletes NOW.

***This is an article I wrote for a local paper here in Ohio***
This is nothing new. It's been an ongoing, water cooler argument for the past quarter century. The "student" athletes at big-time NCAA colleges bring in billions of dollars for their universities and the NCAA (that's billions, with a "b"), but financially speaking, get nothing in return except a scholarship, that in most cases doesn't cover the basic cost of living.

Up until last week, this had been a discussion between friends and colleagues, knowing that ultimately "the powers that be" would never let the status quo change. Are college athletes really "amateurs"? Are they being taken advantage of financially by the very institutions that are supposed to be protecting them? Should college sports be kept "innocent" by amateur rules and regulations? Ultimately, is the system fair?

A ruling last week by the National Labor Relations Board, and a class action lawsuit filed against the NCAA by football players at Northwestern University, has folks at the NCAA and big-money colleges on edge. The NLRB ruled that Northwestern University football players are employees of the school, and based on this, are able to form a union if they so chose. For the first time ever, a courtroom has ruled that the players should have a seat at the table.

Ultimately, the NCAA is being challenged in a legitimate way, and their "these are simply student athletes" company line is going to be a lot harder to use as a defense. Student athletes who make millions of dollars for their respective institutions are not merely students, they are the backbone of the system that puts money in the pockets of everyone but their own.

For as long as people have been questioning them, the NCAA brass has insisted that college athletes simply cannot be paid because it would strip the entire system of it's amateur nature. They also claim that the mission of the NCAA is purely educational, and it's entire purpose is to support the students and institutions academic endeavors.
Please.

Like most of capitalist America, the NCAA is concerned with one thing, and one thing only.

The almighty dollar.

We're not talking insubstantial amounts here, either. The NCAA and it's member institutions bring in billions of dollars a year. This year alone, CBS paid around $700 million for the rights to broadcast the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament, commonly known as "March Madness". And it's not just the NCAA and it's members, it's also the administration and coaches.

Look just down the road from here in Columbus, Ohio. Head football coach at The Ohio State University Urban Meyer makes a cool $4.6 million a year. If you were thinking to yourself, "Gosh that's a lot of money for a public employee!", you'd be right. Urban Meyers is the highest paid public employee in the state of Ohio. He's not alone. In 40 of the 50 United states, a football, basketball, or hockey coach is the states highest paid public employee. Also in the top 10 of highest paid public employees, you'll find not only university presidents, but college athletic directors as well.

It's no coincidence in this big money game. These salaries are very similar to what coaches and GM's of for-profit professional sports leagues earn, only these jobs are in what they love to call an "amateur" sport.

So what exactly are student athletes forbid from doing? In layman's terms, NCAA rules don't allow student athletes to be compensated in any way, shape, or form; other than their athletic scholarship. Aside from that, there are hundreds of "ticky tack" rules they have to deal with, including a personal favorite of mine, a "pasta violation". Yes, I said pasta.
Three student athletes at the University of Oklahoma consumed "excess" amounts of pasta per the NCAA regulations at a graduation banquet. The University had to report the "violation", and the three student athletes each paid $3.83 (the cost of the excess pasta) to a charity of their choice. I'd like to say I am making this up, but unfortunately, these are the rules that student athletes must live by.

The part that becomes even more frustrating, is while some students take economics classes teaching them the basic tenants of capitalism and the "free market" concept, they are forbid from practicing them. Talk about hypocrisy.
The question becomes, "how do they continue to get away with this?" The answer is shamefully simplistic.

They're amateurs.

The NCAA has spent decades successfully hiding behind the embarrassing guise of "amateurism" as legal and economic justification for pulling the wool over our eyes. The minute the NCAA and their members started turning profits on the backs of their students, was the minute they should have thrown "amateurism" out the window. The even more embarrassing part, is still hearing people within the NCAA still say things like "we're trying to protect our college athletes from commercialization". Really?

How can you possibly even suggest that? If you're really concerned with commercialization and the harm it would cause your student athletes, perhaps you should practice what you preach. That would mean no million dollar deals with Nike and Adidas for your jerseys and practice gear. That also means stopping the exploitation of your school's top players by plastering their number, but not their names on a jersey. Stop accepting money to put corporate names on the side of your stadiums and arenas. Let's not let every company in America throw a couple million dollars your way to get their own bowl game. I always thought the "Orange Bowl" sounded a lot better than the "Discover Orange Bowl", don't you?

Perhaps this weekends "Final Four" TV rights should just be given away pro bono, to protect the "amateurism" of those poor college athletes running up and down the floor. I mean, that's what you are trying to do anyways, right NCAA?

WHAT'S THE ANSWER?

This seems to be the million dollar question. If you can't pay college athletes, what can
you do?

For starters, you could offer all college athletes a simple stipend. I'm not asking for a six figure annual stipend. I'm talking about just enough to cover the basic cost of living in whichever market you're attending school. That means a student athlete attending St. John's in New York City would expect more than someone in Bowling Green, Ohio. Figure the cost of rent, food, basic necessities like gas and utilities, entertainment, and a small amount of spending cash. Doing simple math, I would place that at somewhere between $800 and $1,200 a month during the season. It would be simple, cost effective, and most importantly, it would satisfy 95% of the student athletes complaints.

For the others, specifically the top 5% of student athletes who make the majority of the money for the NCAA and it's members, I think they should resort to a variation of the Olympic model. The Olympic model allows athlete's to hire an agent, sign endorsement deals, and use your name and likeness for personal entrepreneurial endeavors. For the NCAA, this should be a no-brainer, as it doesn't cost them a dime. The money would come from the shoe companies, local businesses and the like. This would also be the fastest way to eliminate the "black market" of student athletes in back rooms and under the table handshakes.

Lastly, there should be an escrow account set up for current and future medical issues directly associated with your days playing for the member institutions. If you live and die on the field, in some cases literally breaking your back, they should stand by you financially for the long haul. This would be only a small sliver of the the massive TV endorsement deals.

No option is perfect, and all would have their own challenges. There is no doubt about that. However, the time has come and gone to pretend that the amateurism of the NCAA is in tact. It isn't now, nor has it been for the past half century. If the NCAA and it's members want to continue to reap billions of dollars off the backs of their student athletes, it's time they start treating them like the money making employees that they are.

If you don't like it, I hear communist Russia is real nice this time of year.

darthtang aw

I will see your article and raise you one written last August.
Pay College Athletes? They're Already Paid Up To $125,000 Per Year
13 comments, 2 called-out
Comment Now
Follow Comments
The Virginia Tech Hokies football team and Geo...
(Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Over the years there have been continuing, sporadic calls for college athletes to be paid in return for what they do to generate money for their colleges. These calls were loud this spring after the injury to Kevin Ware in the Midwest Regional Final of the NCAA Basketball Tournament. A number of commentators felt his sacrifice strengthened the case for paying college athletes. As the college football season kicks off this week (Go Dawgs!), the calls for student athletes to be paid will gain volume again. Below I hope to explain how college athletes are already compensated (even if not “paid”) and why changing the system would be incredibly difficult.
For what it is worth, I have some familiarity with these issues. I was a student athlete in college (although not on scholarship). I recently completed a three year term on my university’s athletic association board of directors, so I have examined all the financial statements at one of the most successful and best managed athletic departments in the country. Nothing here represents the opinion of my university or athletic association, but I have seen the system from the inside from many angles.
Some people are aware enough to realize that student athletes on athletic scholarship are essentially paid already because they receive free tuition, room, meal plans, and some money for books and miscellaneous expenses. At the bigger, more successful universities, athletes also receive academic counseling, tutoring, life skill training, and even nutritional advice. Certainly, not all student athletes are on scholarship and not all are on full scholarships but the student athletes in the revenue sports are receiving compensation in the form of educational benefits and living expenses. To an economist, this is “pay.”
Beyond that, however, what is commonly overlooked is that student athletes also receive free professional coaching, strength and fitness training, and support from athletic trainers and physical therapists (who kept me going back in my day). Football and basketball players pay $2,000-$3,000 per week for similar training in the weeks leading up to their pre-draft workouts. Using these valuations, and adding in the value of a scholarship, a student athlete at a major conference school on full scholarship is likely receiving a package of education, room, board, and coaching/training worth between $50,000 and $125,000 per year depending on their sport and whether they attend a public or private university.
On top of that, the best college athletes gain valuable publicity from playing college athletics. It is much easier for pro teams to evaluate their talent after watching their college careers and talking to college coaches they can trust for the inside story. This lowers the uncertainty about their future performance and means they get larger contracts when they go pro. This value only goes to the athletes at the very top, the ones who get a chance in the pros, but it is still something of value. To some students this publicity and help from coaches talking to pro teams likely carries a large economic value. I won’t try to quantify this, since it varies so much across athletes, but it could also be considered “pay.”
Now, having established that the athletes are not going uncompensated, let’s talk about why changing the system to include direct pay for athletes would be difficult.
Only two or three sports typically make money: football, men’s basketball, and women’s basketball. The remaining sports bring in little to no revenue while still costing the colleges money. Because of this, most athletic departments lose money. In fact, according to a USA Today story last month, only 23 out of 228 Division I athletic programs managed to run a surplus in 2012. The number of such departments fluctuates by year, but it is generally in that neighborhood or fewer.
Every university running a surplus is in a BCS automatic-qualifying conference. Every Division I college not in a non-major conference (and quite a few who are in a major conference) loses money on their athletics program as it stands now. Adding direct pay will put financial pressure on schools to drop non-revenue sports. Given that the colleges that lose money on athletics (and some who do not) subsidize their programs with money from regular student tuition, increasing pay to student athletes could mean tuition increases at many colleges.
If you ignore the reality that most colleges have no money with which to pay their student athletes, you have to address the issues that will arise once you start down that road. First, do you pay all student athletes equally? Is that equitable? Students in the non-revenue sports are already “paid” more than they are worth if the motivation for pay is that student athletes generate revenue for their colleges.
Paying the student athletes in non-revenue sports means using money generated by the revenue sports. In other words, using money generated by football and basketball players to pay everyone. This would be income redistribution among the student athletes. Perhaps pay could vary by sport. In that way, the student athletes in revenue sports could be paid more.
If you decide to only pay student athletes in revenue sports that still leads to its own equity issues. Do you pay all of those student athletes or only those that make an impact? After all, they are not all selling jerseys, selling tickets, and boosting television ratings. Would pay be allowed to vary with performance during a season or would it have to be set in advance? If pay varies with performance that puts an awful lot of pressure on student athletes that are still trying to grow up.
Should there be a cap on pay? Currently, the cap on pay is at zero. If payment begins and there is no cap, the bidding war among colleges for some players will be hard to control. Are people ready for the few colleges with the financial resources (which would be ten to twenty schools) getting virtually all the best football and basketball players? Are you okay with some college athletes being paid millions of dollars in hopes that they live up to the hype from a high school sports career? Given that the NCAA is not going to vote for a policy that guarantees most colleges will never again win a championship in football or basketball, I think it is safe to assume any adopted policy on pay will include a cap. If there is a cap, then the best players may still be “exploited” in the same sense that some people think they are being exploited now.
A final problem that would need to be addressed is does Title IX apply to pay for student athletes? If so, then it is impossible to only pay student athletes in revenue sports since that would involve about 100 male student athletes and only 15 women. If Title IX requires that pay for women’s athletes is on par with that for male athletes, then you must pay all student athletes. This will either increase the total expense or significantly lower the pay for each student athlete.
Once all these issues have been explored, it seems clear that providing additional payments to student athletes would be a very complex exercise. Significant problems of equity across students and across colleges need to be addressed. Then there is the whole issue of the financial viability of any such proposal given that over 90 percent of college athletic departments currently lose money.
Unless somebody can invent a pay plan for student athletes that solves all the above problems, you will just create new problems. There is no perfect way to address the issue of the worth of a college (or pro) athlete to a team. That is why pro teams routinely end up with athletes whose contracts are for much more than they now appear to be worth. In sports, a good guess of future performance is the best you can do. Since all but a few student athletes are receiving benefits worth more than any revenue they are generating for their schools, any change will mainly reward only a few select players and could potentially end up hurting the majority of student athletes whose sports rely on the money generated by the few revenue sports.
Colleges are already compensating their student athletes with tuition, room, board, coaching, nutritional support, and physical trainers that can exceed $100,000 per year in value. Student athletes are already paid and the current system is pretty close to as fair as we are going to get. Paying a few of them more will not improve college sports.

aggiealum

Paying college athletes directly from school budgets may be a hard sell based on Darth's article. However, realistically the only college athletes that you could justify paying are those that do make the larger Division 1 schools profitable. Take Johnny Manziel. His two-year run at A&M put them on the map, and provided that university more market share revenue than they've seen in years. He tries making a few bucks hawking autographs, and the NCAA tries to cut him off at the knees. In the end, it's not the school's who would be paying those salaries, but the tuition and "fees" from the entire student body. Approximately 20% of my daughter's semester bill is fee's and other "incidentals" to pay for the growth of the football team and the expansion of their stadium. Tuition and fees have gone up over 30% in the last 10 years for all Division 1 state-run colleges in Texas, and are expected to go up another 20% in the next five years. It sure isn't due to the improvement of the academics offered at these institutions. Most of these colleges haven't upgraded their buildings or dorms in 30 years, but the price to stay in them have gone up exponentially.

darthtang aw

Paying college athletes directly from school budgets may be a hard sell based on Darth's article. However, realistically the only college athletes that you could justify paying are those that do make the larger Division 1 schools profitable. Take Johnny Manziel. His two-year run at A&M put them on the map, and provided that university more market share revenue than they've seen in years. He tries making a few bucks hawking autographs, and the NCAA tries to cut him off at the knees. In the end, it's not the school's who would be paying those salaries, but the tuition and "fees" from the entire student body. Approximately 20% of my daughter's semester bill is fee's and other "incidentals" to pay for the growth of the football team and the expansion of their stadium. Tuition and fees have gone up over 30% in the last 10 years for all Division 1 state-run colleges in Texas, and are expected to go up another 20% in the next five years. It sure isn't due to the improvement of the academics offered at these institutions. Most of these colleges haven't upgraded their buildings or dorms in 30 years, but the price to stay in them have gone up exponentially.
Actually the tuition increases have little to do with what you stated and more to do with lack of state and federal funding.
1. From 2000 to 2010, funding per pupil at state universities fell by 21 percent - from $8,257 to $6,532 in inflation adjusted dollars.
2. Since 2008, when the recession hit, total public funding for higher education has declined by 14.6 percent.
3. Higher-ed support from states has varied dramatically. For instance, in 2010, the percentage change in public funding per pupil ranged from a negative 18 percent to a positive 16.7 percent. In California and New York, public funding declined by 11.6 percent and 7.5 percent respectively. The big winner was North Dakota, flush with energy money, which boosted its commitment to higher education by 16.7 percent, followed by Texas at 6.6 percent.
4. In every year from 2001 to 2011, at least a third of states experienced funding cuts and in more than half of those years, two-thirds of states did.
5. Real net average tuition at state universities, which is the price after grants are deducted, rose 33.1 percent ($3,415 to $4,546). In comparison, average net tuition at private institutions has risen 21.2 percent during the same period.
6. Before 2007, changes in tuition at public universities did not appear to be linked closely with public funding.

darthtang aw

I disagree with charging for autographs or ther ncaa making money off a college players name by tshirt or memorabilia sales. If the Student gains nothing from this neither should the NCAA. compensation to play the sport is in the form of education. However, they do not have the right to use a players name for profit without compensating that player for the use of his name. The schools trade sports play for education. Not name recognition. I own several Kentucky Basketball Jerseys. Not a single one has a name on it. if they sell jerseys with names or tshirts with names, then we are delving into the professional world and not the collegiant level.

reefraff

My cousin's kid was going to play ball for a division III school. The tuition was 43,000 a year. 43K a year right out of high school isn't a bad gig (If he could have gotten a full scholarship), What's the tuition at a "real school" worth a year?

I am against paying the players outright while they are in school but they should be able to do endorsement and licensing deals BUT the money should be placed in a trust where the player can't touch it for anything other than education related expenses until they graduate. You start outright paying the players it will ruin the game.

darthtang aw

Wait a minute, didn't Governor Perry call for a tuition freeze last year as well as propose a 10,000 dollar bachelor degree cost? Which University do your daughters attend?

darthtang aw

Universities just need to drop athletics completely.
You and I can no longer speak to each other. March madness is my second favorite time of year.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/397457/cut-the-crap-ncaa-and-pay-your-college-athletes-now#post_3542531
You and I can no longer speak to each other. March madness is my second favorite time of year.

My desk at work is across the street from the First Niagara Center and the Bank gave me free tickets to the games. I gave them to other employees that might actually enjoy watching.

It's getting to the point where very few athletes actually graduate with a real degree. They rarely show up at class, their idea of study group is handing out the answers to exams to memorize. It's pretty sick.

aggiealum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/397457/cut-the-crap-ncaa-and-pay-your-college-athletes-now#post_3542525
Actually the tuition increases have little to do with what you stated and more to do with lack of state and federal funding.
1. From 2000 to 2010, funding per pupil at state universities fell by 21 percent - from $8,257 to $6,532 in inflation adjusted dollars.
2. Since 2008, when the recession hit, total public funding for higher education has declined by 14.6 percent.
3. Higher-ed support from states has varied dramatically. For instance, in 2010, the percentage change in public funding per pupil ranged from a negative 18 percent to a positive 16.7 percent. In California and New York, public funding declined by 11.6 percent and 7.5 percent respectively. The big winner was North Dakota, flush with energy money, which boosted its commitment to higher education by 16.7 percent, followed by Texas at 6.6 percent.
4. In every year from 2001 to 2011, at least a third of states experienced funding cuts and in more than half of those years, two-thirds of states did.
5. Real net average tuition at state universities, which is the price after grants are deducted, rose 33.1 percent ($3,415 to $4,546). In comparison, average net tuition at private institutions has risen 21.2 percent during the same period.
6. Before 2007, changes in tuition at public universities did not appear to be linked closely with public funding.
Say what? I don't know anything about "public funding" in any other states, but in Texas our illustrious Rick Perry and his high roller Republican buddies dramatically changed tuition rates when they deregulated tuition rates at state colleges. Perry brags about how well Texas is doing economically, but then he rips the educational budget in half, panders to the heads of the major universities, then lets them start charging whatever they want in tuition. Once they deregulated tuitions, cost per semester hour went up 20% in less than 3 years. The only funding the public here provides is what they pay in tuition for their kids to attend the colleges. We have no state income tax. Everything is driven by property taxes. NONE of my property taxes go towards funding major universities. The majority go towards the local public school districts. There is a very small percentage that goes to the local Community College District, but nothing to the state to fund the major universities like UT - Austin, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, University Of Houston, or any of the extension universities of UT and A&M.

aggiealum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/397457/cut-the-crap-ncaa-and-pay-your-college-athletes-now#post_3542530
Wait a minute, didn't Governor Perry call for a tuition freeze last year as well as propose a 10,000 dollar bachelor degree cost? Which University do your daughters attend?
Yea, I'm still waiting for that one to fall out. That little diddy came from pressure from the Obama Administration. If there's been a tuition freeze, I haven't seen it. My daughters? Now there's one for a little conflict. My older daughter attends my alma mater, and my younger attends my wife's, which unfortunately is UT - Austin.

Tuition rates are only a fraction of the cost of attending college these days. They may "freeze" those rates, but continue to jack up all the other "fees and services". My oldest is taking one class this summer. It's a 5-week course, and it's going to cost a little under a $1000 for the class. Around $530 of that is the tuition. The remainder are fees, including a $240 "University Advancement Fee". During her Fall and Spring Semesters, she's required to pay $106 for the Rec Sports Center Fee and $100 Student Complex Center Fee. I have no problem with the Student Complex Fee, as she does utilize those services and spends a lot of time in the Student Center. However, she's not the athletic type, and has never set foot in any of the athletic complexes since she's been there. So we essentially pay to let all the other students use that service.