Cyano--quick question

clarkiiboi

Can cyano become stringy? From pics seen here and in my tank it looked more flat, but if you looked close you could see very short "hair" flowing. I dont have to be close to the tank at all and I can see strands flowing, could that happen with cyano or am I seeing something else? Thanks.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Definately can be stringy. One of the easiest way to tell if it is cyano is that it will come off in "sheets". Like pealing a film off the surface.

clarkiiboi

Thanks all, did a search on what bang mentioned and this is a quote from Sammy awhile back
A very bad case of diatoms or dinoflagellate algae will be brown, greasy, stringy, trap bubbles, and is often mistaken for cyanobacteria. Try looking into that.
It is not greasy looking to me, but it is stringy and traps bubbles. The color issue is throwing me---I have seen diatom color (just a dusting) and cyano color in my tank over the years. What I see now does look more towards the brown side since I just recently noticed a small patch of a different more fushia (sp) algea beside it. I am leaning towards what bang mentioned. The other thing that confuses me is when I clean it up, I can scoot it into one big clump (with some sand) and remove. Now that is why I thought cyano (always heard it peeled off), can a bad dino outbreak be manually removed the same way? So if it is dinos, what to do? Cleanup crew is very low now, but I also still had it when in full force.

jtp18

I just recently noticed a small patch of a different more fushia (sp) algea beside it.
This could possibly be the start of some corraline algae growth. At least that is how I first noticed my corraline growth. And if your problem is diatoms, the way I solved that problem in my tank is buying a product called PhosZorb. You put it into your filter and it works really well...I saw results in a day! :yes: So try that....and if nothing else it'll remove silicates and phosphates. :D Hope this helps.