cycling with uncured rock

cordell

I'm wondering if it would be ok to cycle a new tank with uncured live rock? Would the ammonia get too high? I'm just wondering because it is cheaper and all... and since I'm on a budget..... but if not recommended, ok.
thanks,
cordell

ren

The best cycling I've found is some large raw grocery shrimp - buy a pound or 2 and throw 3 or 4 in the tank and cook the rest - have a good meal lol and let the 3-4 bake in the tank with just LS. Once you see the ammonia start to fall throw in the LR if uncured - might stall the ammonia drop or make it raise a bit more. You'll get a near bullitproof bacteria base off this.

nm reef

Cycling a new system with uncured LR is a great way to establish a system...it may take a little longer...and is a bit more maintenance intensive...but it works just fine. No need for fish or shrimp. The LR will establish the system on its own.:thinking:

cordell

yeah that's what I was thinking.. since I can get it alot cheaper, and I'm not adding it to an already setup tank, it would be ok and would kick start the cycle. I should probably expect alot of water changes huh?

bang guy

Cycling with uncured rock is my favorite. You can just let it go for a couple of months if you want. I prefer to do lots of water changes to maximize the number of critters that survive. I try to keep the ammonia near 0.5ppm.

I cycled my tank with uncured rock. As stated above, it took longer (about 2.5 months), and I too did MANY water changes, but I was very happy with the results. Besides, who wants to dismantle a reef to get out those nasty little devil damselfish out when it's all done, and the shrimp just seems a little unnatural (maybe forced is a better word to use) to me. If you have patience, in my opinion uncured rock is the way to go. Good luck!

cordell

So it would probably be a good idea to go ahead and put any base rock in with the uncured live rock at the same time, right?
Also.. where is a good place to get base rock? I was thinking about doing 50/50 base rock/live rock. My LFS charges like $2.99/lb for base rock! I wish SWF.COM sold it! Love that free shipping... :joy:

bdubbya

Is it the aquacultured type? If so that sound like a great deal. Just be warned. I've heard you get lots of mantis in rock from this area. I've cycled a couple of tanks with uncured LR, sure it takes a little longer, but it's cheaper and there's a better chance of keeping more hitchhikers alive (the good and the bad). Assuming you do frequent water changes.
Good luck.

cordell

well it's that kind that is on sale at .. $1.60/lb plus shipping came out to $2.79. It says that it comes from Haiti.
We do not allow reference to sites which compete with our host...sorry.