Damn Cheap Hydrometer

euphoria

depends how accurate we are talking about. If you can guess it withing +/- 1 degree, u r truely gifted.

microman2k

i had the exact same problem, my swing arm's weight had fallen out and it kept showing my salinity way too high, as high as the arm could go so naturally i would keep adding water until it would go down and it woulnt so of course i got someone over here and i had raised my salitity WAY to low, as low as it could go around .013 or something like that and everything managed to survive i think but right after that i got into a major kick of checking every parameter of my tank and started doing the pH thing and got a hold of a broken one that registered it 1 whole point too high to like 9 so i was dumping vinegar in the tank in fear that everything in my tank would die, and in fact the pH thing was broken and i wound up killing everthing but a couple of crabs in my tank, i lost my perc clown, yellow tang, and my striped damsel which was my first fish...not a good experiece!

euphoria

Originally posted by microman2k
i had the exact same problem, my swing arm's weight had fallen out and it kept showing my salinity way too high, as high as the arm could go so naturally i would keep adding water until it would go down and it woulnt so of course i got someone over here and i had raised my salitity WAY to low, as low as it could go around .013 or something like that and everything managed to survive i think but right after that i got into a major kick of checking every parameter of my tank and started doing the pH thing and got a hold of a broken one that registered it 1 whole point too high to like 9 so i was dumping vinegar in the tank in fear that everything in my tank would die, and in fact the pH thing was broken and i wound up killing everthing but a couple of crabs in my tank, i lost my perc clown, yellow tang, and my striped damsel which was my first fish...not a good experiece!

Wow, a horror story, sorry to hear that man. I took a little long piece of plastic and now when I fill up my swingarm w/ water, I put the plastic strip inside the hydrometer and make sure I get rid of all bubbles by just swinging the plastic strip around the insde of the hydrometer. I get all the bubbles out and tap the hydrometer on the table a few times, and it seems to be working ok, but NOT accurate still.

bang guy

Originally posted by EUPHORIA
and it seems to be working ok, but NOT accurate still.

All you have to do is find an accurate measuing device twice a year and make note of the difference.

euphoria

I think my LFS ordered a refractometer for himself, so I'm just gonna go bug him once a month to do a more accurate measurement for me :)