Damsel domino needs to go

blue yesdog

what is the best way to get rid of a domino damsel. he is the last one left from cycling the tank 6 years ago and is chasing and/or killing the others. classic case of a 6$ fish killing a 45$ fish. any thoughts out there? please?
thank you

ironeagle2006

If possible borrow a Panther Grouper Undy Trigger or 10in Lionfish for a couple days. That will take care of the

[hr]
Beyond that remove all your rockwork and chase it down with a net so take your pick make him lunch for a big fish or 4 hours worth of aquascaping for you.

flower

LOL..I have given it some thought....a tiny harpoon...take a wood dowel cut it to about 6 inches, and cut a small grove in one end to use as leverage for a rubber band (sling shot style). Load the other end with a good size needle, like the kind you use for embroidery..Attach a string and... when it comes out to bite you...happy hunting.

Hey...you never know, it might work. I am not the first to think of a harpoon out of a rubberband.
If it works, maybe I can Patton the design...

halamaya

sometimes you can put a plastic bag set open at one end of a bolt hole and chase your fish into the bag. Damsels don't seem to last very lpong in my tank.

jtt

Originally Posted by blue yesdog
http:///forum/post/3195693
what is the best way to get rid of a domino damsel. he is the last one left from cycling the tank 6 years ago and is chasing and/or killing the others. classic case of a 6$ fish killing a 45$ fish. any thoughts out there? please?
thank you
hungry mantis shrimp... oversized eel... blue ring octopus

srfisher17

Her's a copy of something I've posted many times. Sounds silly, but if you adapt the method to your tank; it really does work.
This may have been me, I always suggest this; but most people think its
silly...until they try it. Tiny hook (hair hook, used to catch bait. Flatten the
barb and bait with a bit of raw shrimp..after the little monster has been eating
it for a day or two. A lfs called me several times, when I I lived in another
state, to help them get unwanted fish out of customer's tanks (almost always
damsels). I never failed, nor hurt a fish (much). I think this one of the most
common questions on this forum. I suspect it is often the result of lfs selling
damsels as "cycle starters".. I'll bet I've posted this reply 20 times; I'm
going to copy & save it...I type very slowly. BTW, I never heard from anyone
that tried this and failed, but have heard several success stories. IMO, it is
no big deal on the fish, far less stressful ,(on the damsel AND tankmates),than
tearing a tank apart. "

95harley

Use the reverse lid 2 liter bottle trap and find a free home for him rather than complicate the problem with other species.

meowzer

Originally Posted by 95Harley
http:///forum/post/3197505
Use the reverse lid 2 liter bottle trap and find a free home for him rather than complicate the problem with other species.
LOL...I tried that...I think I caught everything BUT the killer damsels....I'm thinking a harpoon is starting to sound pretty darn good to me about now

ramblinwreck

I used the below trap to capture and return my two dominos. I put brine shrimp in the trap and waited a long time (3-4 hours) for the damsels to enter. The damsels will be timid and cautious at first. They'll swim in place in front of the door for about 15 minutes and will eventually swim into the trap and start eating. Then you just drop the door and return the fish to your LFS. I captured my two dominos on separate days. Good luck.

meowzer

Originally Posted by erifish3
http:///forum/post/3208714
I used this guy......
Yeah but what about all your other inhabitants????
I think I'm going to try one of those traps from this site....IDC anymore....nothing else is working
Don't think bad of me......but the other day I tried to harpoon the darn thing....I HATE THEM...I obviously did not get it

I came close though....and almost...ALMOST I SAY felt bad

erifish3

Originally Posted by ironeagle2006
http:///forum/post/3195746
If possible borrow a Panther Grouper Undy Trigger or 10in Lionfish for a couple days. That will take care of the

[hr]
Beyond that remove all your rockwork and chase it down with a net so take your pick make him lunch for a big fish or 4 hours worth of aquascaping for you.
For the low, low price of $19.99, I'm renting out my 8" V. lion or 7" Panther Grouper

rblcori07

this same thing happend to me.... i tried for a day or two to catch him with a new but after the second day when he saw the net touch the top of the water he was gone lol. I ended up taking every single peice of rock out to catch him lol... Can you say i was P/O

raf

BOTTLE TRICK
I just used 2 little shrimp soaked in garlic and a little emerald entree and all the fish piled right in.

hammerhed7

the bottle trick, and hook are the best options, but you may just want to try opening the tank lid and turning the tank lights off, and letting the tank sit in the dark for an hour or so and then stand in front of the tank with you net ready and turn on the light. The fish are usually slow to react and easier to catch.

adams

Oh my god, Damsels seem to cause A LOT! of trouble! Might return me now before its too late!

ironeagle2006

I have a yellowtail in my 150 however he also lives in fear. MY SFE looks at him like he is a MEAL anymore and if he could catch it mr Damsel is LUNCH for my SFE. What was funny however was seeing that Yellow tail think it was the boss when I put in that Passer Angel. You ever seen a Damsel roll belly up like a dog and beg for mercy this one did I Swear.