Danger!

marco333

Are sun corals and sun polyps the same thing? If they are are they as toxic as the other polyps. I was just about to purchchas a sun coral, but if their toxic im gonna have a second thought

spsfreak100

I've fragged some Yellow Zooanthids before, with no ill after affects.
There are these though, i've always wondered about them. Generally, they're much larger than your standard zooanthid, have much longer tentacles, and are white- not bleached, but white. They look exactly like Bang Guys; just a different color.
Here they are.
Graham :)

j21kickster

Source-
Palytoxin was first isolated from the soft coral Palythoa toxica. Several species of Palythoa are used in aquariums, but do not produce the toxin. Originally, it was only found in a single tidal pool on the island of Maui in Hawaii and native Hawaiians used to coat

[hr]
points with a red seaweed from the pool. Toxin-containing corals appear to be randomly and sparingly distributed throughout the South Pacific and there is now a school of thought that suggests that the coral is simply concentrating the toxin made by a dinoflagellate (a small single-celled organism) called Ostreopis siamensis.
I wish i knew the specific sepcies names on my polyps and not just the Genus- eitherway i have cut zooanthids and numerous polyps- including green button polyps and yellow polyps and when i was younger would even squish a few just to see their insides- I never got sick- so hopefully the common button polyps arent a serious threat

overanalyzer

Originally posted by j21kickster
when i was younger would even squish a few just to see their insides

Kinda like the whole lightining bug squishing thing .....

dustball

To kind of answer the question on which ones are toxic...
According to Borneman's Corals book, "All species of Palythoa, and most related zoanthids including Protopalythoa species, produce a chemical called palytoxin..."
Hope this helps.

marinerock

HEY DV....
THANKS...I DONT KNOW WHY THEY DO NOT MAKE IT
A STICKY...GUESS THEY HAVE THEIR OWN REASONS...
I THOUGHT IT WAS IMPORTANT....ANYHOW...I TRIED....
REGARDS....
MARINEROCK

Dinoflagellates are heterotrophic protists that cause the red tides on the coasts of Florida, Alabama, Louisiana, and Texas. These buggers kill tons of fish and could probably take out a person if they swam in infested waters long enough.

wamp

All zooanthids can cause adverse affects on people. Just all depends on your reaction to diffrent ones. I know a guy who can not touch any of them without getting ill, while I can touch them all... At least all that I have so far.

Hey Bang....
I thik I have one of those in my tank ... my hands are in there all the time, cuts and all......
It is a single button polyp that was on a piece of live rock. I never touch it though.. BUT can the toxin be in the water and effect me???
It is a brown polyp with a green center...i just went to look and it was closed up.... Now i'm scared! Maybe its a non-toxic one?? I hope so,,,,, Is it JUST the colored ones? because the fish store guy was tryng to sell me come corals today and he has tons of polopy rocks........
What are you being treated with and what are your symptoms?? I have never touched it I dont think?? Or maybe I have when I was rearranging my rock..... WOW, this makes me NOT want to put anything in my tank except fish.....
I have a new anenome (that can sting)
a flower leather coral
finger leater
open brain
I have touch all of them ... I dont think I have ever ben stung!! I am freaking!!!! So please let me know if i will be K if its just in the water colum... and HOW DO I GET IT OUT???
Thanking you kindly and hope you are better soon!!!
Kim

fishfood

I now have 13 different color morps of different zoos. I've been fragging them regularly now with no problems. I just recently came across the info that they could be toxic. I usually take a razor blade to these guys so i'm sure i get the toxin on my hands. Nothing yet, knock on wood, and i'll continue to frag them. I'll try to be a little more careful though.

marinemarty

HI Guy. Feel Better, Could you post some of your symptoms. I have an assortment of zoo's. And i have begun to notice some strange sores in my right arm ( the one i stick into my tank). Could this be from my tank? Thanks
Martin

bang guy

I didn't mean to start a panic!
I believe this is a specific Palythoa that harbors a specific pathogen. I was only intending to warn the dozen or so people I have traded this coral with. I honestly think this is quite rare.
Symptoms I had:
Chest pain
Pain in left arm
Dizzyness
Weakness
This all happened within an hour of cutting the Polyps.