Dart Frogs

crypt keeper

are you breeding them or keeping them in small plastic bowls as their home? Is that easier? I know most of them can stay very small. My god or most of yours gorgeous. I nmay get back into these guys. The snake may be out for now. I will decide at the reptile show.

crypt keeper

I weill be looking at Citronellas and Alanis. The very first one you posted was amazing. I will see what happens at the show. I have a place for them as well if Do go that route.

zman1

One of our old members started collecting them.... For the life of me, I can't remember his screen name. He created a blog/home page covering them. Anyone remember his name?

coral keeper

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3137446
OMG! They are beautiful. Seriously. Wow.
Let's all do it together... LOL.
lol I'd love to get back in! BUT, I don't think my parents will let me set up ANOTHER tank... MAYBE a tiny 2.5 gallon - 5 gallon, but that's too small for a dart frog.... damn it....

cranberry

OMG! The photos I would get.... they are just eye candy.
I bred fish for awhile and I don't know if anything can compare to the work of that. Every single day was a couple of hours of dedicated fry tank duty. But these guys would make me smile.

coral keeper

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3137602
Not really. There are smaller dart frogs that dont even hit an inch. IMO a 5 gallon tall would be perfect for two.
Hmmm..... Then maybe all 3 of us(Cranberry, you, and me) can set up dart frog tanks together!! :D lol

coral keeper

Yeah... Maybe you should do what I'm thinking about doing? A 5 gallon tank with 2 tiny frogs? lol But if they are that tiny, what will they eat? Won't fruit flies be too big for them then?

porkchop48

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3137443
are you breeding them or keeping them in small plastic bowls as their home? Is that easier? I know most of them can stay very small. My god or most of yours gorgeous. I nmay get back into these guys. The snake may be out for now. I will decide at the reptile show.
ALmost all of my guys are breeding. The froglets are raised in the "plastic bowls" which are 190 oz containers. Some of the pic were taken in 8-16 oz containers to keep them semi still or when they just got delivered.
That very first frog is maybe 1/2 an inch long.
There is no way even with their small size they can be housed in a 5 gal. Definately not two of them. Some of them do get bigger than an inch. My patricias are about 2 inches.
MOst of my tanks are 10 gals - 40 gals. Even though they are small they use ever inch of the tanks. Forcing them to be in a small 5 gal will cause a very very stress frog and probably eventually death.
Surprisingly with the almost 100 frogs that I have I can feed/ suppliment, spray in less than 1/2 hour a day. They are very simple to take care of with the proper set ups.
Now feeding tads on the other hand takes a little more time :)

coral keeper

Originally Posted by porkchop48
http:///forum/post/3137802
There is no way even with their small size they can be housed in a 5 gal. Definately not two of them. Some of them do get bigger than an inch. My patricias are about 2 inches.
MOst of my tanks are 10 gals - 40 gals. Even though they are small they use ever inch of the tanks. Forcing them to be in a small 5 gal will cause a very very stress frog and probably eventually death.
Darn. I guess I'll pass then. Good luck Cranberry and crypt keeper if y'all decide to set up dart frog tanks. :)

meowzer

WOW...they are very pretty, they look just like the frogs all over my garden and porch....except for the color...LOL....

porkchop48

Picking up some new frogs tomorrow ( a proven 3.2 group) of mossy frogs.
Expect pictures.
On tuesday there will be two male imitators and a pair of intermedius.
Expect more pictures.