Day 1 Quitting smokeing! Advise/support needed

turningtim

I started the patch today! I will not get into how long I've been a smoker, lets just say it been too long. Anybody quit or have any advise would be great. I'm gonna need all the help I can get. This will be very difficult but I think I'm ready for the challenge.
thanks for any help
Tim

caomt

dont sleep with the patch on its gonna suck in the morning!
if you can go without smoking for a week on the patch you can do it!

turningtim

Well sorry for that guy, but I think the $15,000.00-$20,000.00 I've given Phillip Morris over the last X number of years should cover my share!
Some how I don't think PM is not going out of biz b/c of my $3.60 a day habit!

caomt, Thanks , I've heard about the weird stuff it will do at night and the next morning.
Thanks (I CAN DO IT, I CAN DO IT!)
Tim

T

tizzo

I smoked for 15 years and quit 6 years ago by using the patch. I think that thing is awesome. But the absolute best "trick" I found to help me out was to start thinking like a nonsmoker. For example, as soon as you wake up in the morning, your prolly thinking about the cigarette you use to have and how nice it was and now hafta remind yourself that your quit and deal with the frustration and hope that it goes away on it's own... But a nonsmoker wakes up thinking about the shower they need to take or the errands they need to run. They do not think about the smokes. So you hafta kinda force yourself to find the thoughts of a nonsmoker. I used my brother as a muse. Whenever I started to think about a cig, I would ask myself, what is he thinking about when this situation arises and I would try to copy what I thought he was thinking. Zis making sence?? I know I am kinda rambling, but I am trying to explain it s best as I can.
I won't wish you luck, cause luck has nothing to do with it, but I will wish you patience and WILLPOWER!!

jmick

I smoked for 5 years and quit last summer and I feel so much better now! I used Zyban and it made the process so much easier (I have 3 other family members that used it and all quit).

caomt

i tried to quit a few times with and without patch.. i did better cold turkeyin.. went almost 2 weeks.. i suggest you go buy some candy and whenever you feel for a cigarette eat a piece of joolly rancher or osmething.. just to get out of the habbit of holding a cig

mitzel

Hey tim . If you want I can throw some numbers at you to keep your mind off smoking. :hilarious

turningtim

Tiz, makes a lot of sence and I didn't even think about that! You're so right I need to think differently and just move through the day. I'm going to get my truck detailed and smellin' nice. I also open up my shop to get some fresh air. I've already thrown out all the trash involved.
Sunflower seeds are my oral weapon of choice. So I just got somebody a job!

Right now I just can't think straight. My concentration seems to be gone.......
Thanks folks
Tim

misty7850

Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking.. I've been smoke free now for 4 years. Take it one day at at time. When you get the urge to smoke.. chew some gum.. take a walk (enjoy the fresh air) call a friend.. etc.. good luck...

turningtim

No worries mitzel, the next email I send you will make your head spin. Mostly Q's about the shark tank concept. Still making notes so it will make sence.........
Also started on some drawing too!
Later
Tim

ruaround

Tizzo has some great advice, and my uncle quit by using sunflower seeds alone... Much luck to ya!!! Hang in there, and DO NOT SPARK ONE!!! Mimzy used this board for support in her quitting soda, seemed to help her...

turningtim

Actually Mimzy's post is what gave me this idea! I spend quite a bit of time on here, and I'm kinda isolated where I live so this will be a great outlet. I was hopeing for this kind of responce. Thanks to all and keep it coming! I'll feel better allready

Tim

mitzel

Originally Posted by TurningTim
No worries mitzel, the next email I send you will make your head spin. Mostly Q's about the shark tank concept. Still making notes so it will make sence.........
Also started on some drawing too!
Later
Tim

I can draw too . mainly stick figures . but its hard to get detail with the SO BIG crayons.
Sorry I'm just in a nutty mood.

mimzy

TURNING TIM!!! YOU ARE QUITTING SMOKING!!!!! THIS WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE!!!!
YOU ARE AWESOME!!!! :cheer: :cheer:
LoL, but seriously.... soooooooooo glad I could be an inspiration for someone! This makes quitting totaly worth it. I'm so glad you decided to do this. You will be a much healthier, much happier human being when that gunk leaves your system.
I know that quitting smoking invlolves a lot more than just the detox- it's a huge psychological dependancy to get over as well. Tizzo is exactly right; thinking like a non-smoker is your goal.
As for replacing the cigs with eating - Just keep in mind that a lot of pple who complain about weight gain after quitting cigs are only gaining wait b/c they replace the cigs with eating junkfood to satisfy the oral fixation.
Your idea of sunflower seeds is great, though - good protein, and not much fat. Sugar free chewing gum (like Trident) is good too - not to mention good for your teeth

I also suggest drinking LOTS of water, and try doing some yoga - rent a video if u dont arleady have one. This helped me through my detox, and it helped a bunch of people I know who were also quitting smoking.
I've watched a whole lotta people go through this and although it's different for everyone, one thing is for sure;
YOU
CAN
DO
IT!!!!!!!
:jumping: :jumping:

turningtim

Thanks Mimzy, I totally agree with the soda thing. I had to give up the POP b/c of my sugar level. I've stopped the soda thing a couple of monthes ago and lost 30lbs. YES 30lbs. I've brought my health around to where my Doc and wife are happy. Now this will be the last step. My biggest thought now is that I really can't smoke anywhere anyway. I never smoked in my house and I even go to a non-smoking bar (b/c of friends). I'm really thinking of this as a chore and I don't need the chore anymore.
mitzel, don't worrry man we all know how hard it is to be in the "WARD" where they won't let you have any sharp implements. I'm sure they prolly took the crayon sharpener out of the box too. It would all be OK if you would stop having those lust filled fantasies about PAT.
:hilarious :hilarious
Thanks to all this is working and making me feel much better.
Tim

danedodger

CONGRATULATIONS TIM!!!!!!
I can't really add a lot, you've gotten some awesome ideas already! I will say keep very busy to help keep your mind occupied and keep very firmly in mind that you can't control the craving but you CAN control the voluntary muscles it takes to get them, light one up, etc.! YOU CAN DO IT!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: