DE MH bulbs color?

mujtba

i have DE MH bulbs with a yellowish tone color
.. is there a way to get this in a more bluish color???
:notsure:

squidd

Are they "new"..less than a week or 100 hr's burn in time...?
They may change visable color slightly as they "mature" and burn in...
But more than likely, you'll want a higher K rating...
What Kind are they...?

mujtba

they are fairly new.. but i dont think there is any change in color..
1. it is 250W DE bulbs.. I dont see any hint of blue in it.. so I am assuming it is 10K?
2. so what K should I get that will be blue?
3. If i get a 14K MH bulb or higher K, will that do it? also, will I need my actinics with it then?
4. Is this good:
20K 250watt HQI Metal Halide Bulb - EVC Tech
5. Could you plz explain the difference to me between Ks?

could you guys please answer all questions? :D

squidd

Originally posted by mujtba
1. it is 250W DE bulbs.. I dont see any hint of blue in it.. so I am assuming it is 10K?
>>> Maybe.. But it might be a 6700K or even a 5000K for all we know, Having a "baseline" to know where we're strating from and what brand will help tremendously in choosing a direction to go...
Should be written "on" the bulb itself ...<<<
2. so what K should I get that will be blue?
>> Higher than whatever it is you have for sure...BUT some bulbs in the same K can have different "looks" so knowing what brand you have will help as well...<<<
3. If i get a 14K MH bulb or higher K, will that do it? also, will I need my actinics with it then?
>>> That also depends on "what you had" ...."what you get"....and "what your looking for"....If it's too blue after you change you may want to switch them to 50/50s or even 10Ks to "whiten" the tank back up... or "you" may like the tone..or "you" may want even more blue...The "Blue Look" is really more for "your" benifit than the corals...<<<
4. Is this good:
20K 250watt HQI Metal Halide Bulb - EVC Tech
>>>There are better.. . but alot depends on what your looking for ..price, PAR or curb appeal...With a little "searching" on your part , you should be able to come up with some "color chart comparisons" of different MH bulbs to help you narrow down your choices in "color" and then compare brands vs. ballast to get the most PAR for the buck...<<<
5. Could you plz explain the difference to me between Ks?

"K" is a measure of color "tempreture" over a band of radiation wavelegnths...The PAR or photosyntheticly available radiation is what the corals are interested in...the resultant "visual" band width (or color) is what you seem to be interested in... While higher "K" bulbs will tend to be more blue, that is not always the case especially when comparing different brands and/or running them on different ballasts...<<<
could you guys please answer all questions? :D
>>>"Some" of the questions can only be answered by you...<<<

mujtba

thanks squidd..
1. does any DE MH bulbs have a UV shield on them? or do I need a seperate shield? if so, how do i get this? my tank only has plain glass for water shield.. not UV shield.
2. can I run a 175W MH DE bulb on my 250W ballast?

squidd

DE (double ended) bulbs need a seperate fixture with a UV protective glass cover...
I thought you already had this thing up and running...???:notsure:
You cannot run a 175 bulb on a 250 ballast...
175 bulbs are SE (single ended or "mogul" style as are SE 250s)...
DE 250s are a different animal compleatly...
I thought you already had this thing up and running...? :thinking:
So what do you have...SE or DE ...??

ebsochin

Just my opinion, but I have 2 HQI DE 250W Ushio bulbs 10,000 K and 4 160 W VHO actintics and it gives as an awesome look to the tank. If you go with the higher K for the MH then you will get a blue look with the lighting. Most 20K bulbs are quite blue. As Squidd said, if you went that way you may want some white to balance it out. It really is all up to what you want the look to be. HTH.

mujtba

dam.. i have 250 DE MH bulbs x 2. With the 250W ballasts already UP AND RUNNING!!!
it is in a canopy. all i have is some glass covers as spash protection.. what do I do about the UV shields?
can I buy DE bulbs with UV shield in it??
BUT i have some soft corals which do not look so healthy..
do you think its a UV problem? thats why I was thinking of putting a lower Watt bulb in there...
please advise...

squidd

Can you post a pic of your set up or perhaps explain the "splash guards" a bit more...
How do you have the bulbs mounted in the canopy...? What are you using for reflectors ....?
Are they in their own seperate "pendant/fixtures"...?
Is that the glass "splash guard" you are talking about...?
If so that "IS" the UV shield...
If it's different let me know...

mujtba

ok i mounted the reflectors on the top of the canopy. the reflectors are in their own fixtures.. meaning, there is 1 for each bulb, and total of 2 reflectors. . then in the reflectors are the bulbs mounted in their sockets.
on top of my tank are glass covers which I got from LOWES.. i dont think it has UV protection.. its just being used as a splash guard. it is your typical glass.
so how do I go about getting UV protection?:eek:

db

In most people's opinion it seems that the Phoenix 14K 250DE is the way to go. I've seen pictures of people's tanks and the color is perfect. Not too blue, but still bright. No actinics necessary with this bulb.

squidd

I just switched from a CoralVue 250 watt DE 20 K on magnetic HQI ballast to the Phoenix 14 K....
That is an awsome bulb (IMO color wise) .... and in the upper two thirds of the PAR ratings without going yellow...

mujtba

ok i mounted the reflectors on the top of the canopy. the reflectors are in their own fixtures.. meaning, there is 1 for each bulb, and total of 2 reflectors. . then in the reflectors are the bulbs mounted in their sockets.
on top of my tank are glass covers which I got from LOWES.. i dont think it has UV protection.. its just being used as a splash guard. it is your typical glass.
so how do I go about getting UV protection?

squidd

Originally posted by mujtba
so how do I go about getting UV protection?:eek:

That's what I thought you were talking about...just glass covers on the tank...
Now the question arises (comes back) can you post a pic of the "fixtures/pendants" you have..?
Most all DE "fixtures" (pendant/reflector/socket) come with the glass shield on the face...
Do your fixtures have a slot for UV shields...? Are they missing...?
Did you get this used...?
Is there a way to affix glass plates over the fixtures to provide UV shielding ...?

mujtba

i dont have any pics yet, but ill try to describe it..
basically what i did was strip this:
AquaMedic Ocean Light 48" 2 x 250W plus 2x54W T5 - Black
you can search it up for a pic... we cant post external links...
so it has no glass covers on it..
i just ordered some UV glass... im gona have to find a way to mount it.. using L brackets...

beachlife

The "Blue Look" is really more for "your" benifit than the corals...<<<
Sorry squidd I have to disagree with you there..... The blue (actinic) benifit the corals alot... Espesially with talller tanks. the blue (higher end of the spectrum) penetrates more deeply in sea water..... They are also good for bio-chemical reactions that take plase in the tissuse of photosynthetic organisms......
Some people that have the best of marine lighting (Including myself) still use the more blue bulbs......
While I understand where you are coming form there are not nearly as important as the "whiter" sprectrum daylight bulbs I stilll think they are good to include in a lighting setup.....
Plus the dawn to dusk effect greatly benefits corals by simulating more natural lighting.....
Just my imput....
john.

squidd

:D Well as long as we're "disagreeing"...
"Actinic" refers to the wave legnth the bulb opperates in which is what gives it the "penatrating" as well as flourecent effect...
The "blue" you see is just the result of the MFG process and phosphors used to create the wavelength..
There are white actinics as well as blue...
MH bulbs run pretty much the full spectrum (including the actinic wavelengths) sending much more photosynthetic radiation to the depths than any PC or VHO actinic ever will...
The K ratings are based on the dominant spectral wavelength and the visual colors are a byproduct of wave reflection...
There are 20K bulbs that "visually" are whiter than some 14 and 15K...
Again the "blue" is for your benifit ...The corals are interested in the PAR...
Although I agree the "Dawn and Dusk" lighting does make a nice visual effect in blue, it could be duplicated in the white (10k) spectrum as well as a "single, double, triple, double, single MH setup and have no difference in coral growth...

beachlife

Ok I beleive i miss uderstood the original post.... Your right!
lol...... i got the impression mujtba was using mostly just blue actinics....
john..