Dead seahorse

flower

One of my female potbelly horses was dead this morning. Not a mark on her, she was hunting for amphipods just before lights out and doing fine....this morning she was on her side dead, near where I saw her last night, and it couldn't have been for long, the CUC hadn't touched her yet.

I'm so disgusted, That leaves me just 1 potbelly seahorse, the other female stays in the back so much I never see her...so the 90g looks empty all the time. The one that died was the one that hung out in the front of the tank all the time. I have just 1 Kuda seahorse left. I will not be replacing the horses, when they die that's it, I'm done.

flower

I thought they lived for something like 10 years. It's heartbreaking when a seahorse dies. Seahorses are not like regular fish...more like a puppy with fins. She was just fine last night, so it was such a shock to find her dead this morning. She was big too, almost 10 inches snout to tail tip, I could feel her weight. I have looked all day and can't find the other one... She hides so well in the rocks...I hope she is still in there, the CUC won't leave a trace if she dies in the rocks.

lb68

I'm sorry for your loss too and starting to rethink doing a seahorse tank altogether.

aduvall

So sorry! I know it's not the same, but I felt like that when my first flame died....

What are you going to do if not horses?

flower

So sorry! I know it's not the same, but I felt like that when my first flame died....

What are you going to do if not horses?
My health isn't so good. I take care of my elderly Mother with Alzheimer's, I'm seriously thinking of just not having a tank anymore. I have the potbelly tank still up and running. My son said he would like to have it, he has been doing research and looking into an RO unit ... He moves in March so maybe April he will be ready to take it.

flower

So sorry! Prayers for you and your mom.
Thank you, if I could still climb a ladder comfortably I wouldn't let it go. I still have the 56g in the garage, it will still need a ladder to service it, but it isn't as large...To be honest, I can't imagine a home without a fish tank, so I'm not really sold on giving it up. Back when I was 15 years old and got my first paycheck from Taco Bell, a 10g fish tank was the first thing I purchased.

Dflo

So sorry to hear about your seahorse Flower and definitely sending positive thoughts and prayers your way

flower

For the record...I now only have one female Potbelly seahorse left, she's a big one...two 5" bat starfish, a blue stripe pipefish, and a few peppermint shrimp. The 90g looks empty all the time.

bang guy

I would love a Pipefish. Can they be in a reef tank or do they have the same requirements as Sea hoses?

Really sorry to hear about your loss Flower. I think you have enough experience now for a nano tank. Maybe a 20 gallon with Pygmies could work for you.

flower

I would love a Pipefish. Can they be in a reef tank or do they have the same requirements as Sea hoses?

Really sorry to hear about your loss Flower. I think you have enough experience now for a nano tank. Maybe a 20 gallon with Pygmies could work for you.
I liked my little 30g long tank, and I might go back to keeping that one instead of the larger tanks where I have to climb a step stool to maintain it. Pipefish need copepods much like the mandarin, I had some alligator pipefish in my reef, the copepods were not enough, and after a year they starved. The blue stripe I have now eats frozen Mysis, I've had him for quite a while now. As long as they are with non-aggressive fish I think they will do well in a reef.

Those little dwarf seahorses require live newly hatched baby brine shrimp, I don't want to commit myself to raising the shrimp. It would be like having baby seahorses to deal with all the time.