Death to Fedex

dmanatee

Well yay! I thought I was going to be getting a 5-6in hippo tang yesterday. I had ordered it through my LFS and their policy is that they order it and it gets sent to your house. Well I had confirmation on Wednesday that it was to be here Thursday morning priority shipped and to be at the house by 10:30 am.So Thursday morning I passed around the house and double and triple checked the parameters on my QT that I have had set up for about a month now. 10:30 passes and I check the FedEx tracking and it says that it is out for delivery. I think to myself odd??? Normally the priority van is already at my house by now. it gets to be 3 pm and the normal FedEx truck shows up and tosses the box on the door step and walks away!!!
Sure enough the had put my overnight priority item in the wrong truck and they took their sweet time getting to me.
I still followed proper acclimation guidelines and when the poor thing got to the QT it was just a nice quiet place for it to pass on. This fish did not deserve to die like that. Let me tell you one thing, FedEx is not getting my business for a long time.

fishtaco

Fed-Ex does a very poor job compared to UPS around here, so I don't blame you for dropping them and I would also not trust them to get live fish to my door since they have many times delivered packages while I have been home to the wrong address 200 feet down our road even though my address is very easy to see.
Fishtaco

al&burke

We are going to run out of courriers to use, UPS - broke Flowers Sump/fuge, hippo dies because of FED EX - I give up.

al&burke

I really think the people that are shipping should look into different avenues as well, I have never received live animals through a courier but will be in the future. I don't know if they actually put on the containers LIVE FISH or what ever, maybe some off these couriers employees, who are like you and I, no different, would take more care. A lot of people out there are amnimal lovers. Just my $0.02.' I just hate to see things die for no reason.

luvmyreef

Yep! I am with you. Just last year, my priority overnight was held over for 12hrs, and they couldnt tell me why. Needless to say, lost most of my corals from that shipment! And someone on here actually had the nerve to blame me for ordering in the winter! Even though I had not had any problems previously! This year, I received an order and the box was leaking water... I vowed to never use fed ex again, but......most companies use them still and even when I ask for ups, they cant do it, something to do with fedex flying their shipments........:(

meowzer

You know.....for the amount of shipments I have received thru fed exp......I think they do pretty good....NO ONE is gonna have 100% perfection....oh it would be nice, but aint gonna happen
I had one shipment delayed Christmas week 2 years ago.....and
1 shipment delayed due to fog in the Memphis hub I believe
If your bags are leaking,....how is that Fed ex's fault
I had a shipment come NOT FROM SWF....that was bagged...and rebagged, and the bags had tape all over them.....I can tell you this was done by the shipper......I highly doubt FED EX opened the box, placed an additional bag (same type too) over the leaking bag, covered it with tape, and resealed the box....with the same seals the shipper used, and never ripped a piece

luvmyreef

Well, if the corner of the box wasnt smashed down onto the bag that was leaking, I would have thought otherwise. But you would think that when the box is labeled LIVE AQUARIA/LIVE GOODS fed ex would handle them with more care....good news though is that the coral survived, so i got lucky there...

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyreef http:///forum/thread/382990/death-to-fedex#post_3346234
Well, if the corner of the box wasnt smashed down onto the bag that was leaking, I would have thought otherwise. But you would think that when the box is labeled LIVE AQUARIA/LIVE GOODS fed ex would handle them with more care....good news though is that the coral survived, so i got lucky there...
Did it not come in one of those thick styrofoam boxes???
I think they would have to run mine over with a steam roller.....LOL

luvmyreef

Yes, it did, the whole bottom corner was smashed, including the styrofoam. and the whole bottom was soaked and falling apart! Thats why I thought WTH! What part of live goods dont they understand? I didnt get to see the delivery guy, but I let the seller know about it! They said unfortunately we have to use them because they fly all our orders out... BUT like I said I never lost the coral so alls well........

fishtaco

I think UPS does better in my area because our driver has 24 years in with the company and has had his rural delivery route for many years, with Fed Ex it is always different people including a very creepy 8 o'clock mid-winter evening delivery of a cell-phone by a smaller van. Not sure what was up there.
I have chicks ordered for a early March delivery and I am extremely nervous that they are going to show up alive, they are going through the post office and the company I bought them from advises that you actually go down and talk with the office and make sure you can have a direct delivery first thing in the morning. That should be interesting since in the past my dealing with them in the past was really strange. It is a small office with a bunch of people who have worked there way too long.
Fishtaco

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtaco http:///forum/thread/382990/death-to-fedex#post_3346254
I think UPS does better in my area because our driver has 24 years in with the company and has had his rural delivery route for many years, with Fed Ex it is always different people including a very creepy 8 o'clock mid-winter evening delivery of a cell-phone by a smaller van. Not sure what was up there.
I have chicks ordered for a early March delivery and I am extremely nervous that they are going to show up alive
, they are going through the post office and the company I bought them from advises that you actually go down and talk with the office and make sure you can have a direct delivery first thing in the morning. That should be interesting since in the past my dealing with them in the past was really strange. It is a small office with a bunch of people who have worked there way too long.
Fishtaco
I don;t understand that statement??????
One advantage for me in the small town is I have the same 2 fed exp drivers....I even have their cell #'s and they have mine.....they go above and beyond what I would expect to make sure I get my deliveries.....

fishtaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/382990/death-to-fedex#post_3346257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtaco http:///forum/thread/382990/death-to-fedex#post_3346254
I have chicks ordered for a early March delivery and I am extremely nervous that they are going to show up alive
, they are going through the post office and the company I bought them from advises that you actually go down and talk with the office and make sure you can have a direct delivery first thing in the morning. That should be interesting since in the past my dealing with them in the past was really strange. It is a small office with a bunch of people who have worked there way too long.
Fishtaco
I don;t understand that statement??????
One advantage for me in the small town is I have the same 2 fed exp drivers....I even have their cell #'s and they have mine.....they go above and beyond what I would expect to make sure I get my deliveries.....
I am nervous because they are day old chicks being shipped from the other side of the country, lot's can happen to the little girls between the time they leave and the time I take delivery. I have never had anything alive shipped to me either, but decided to risk it this once for the chicks I wanted. Threads like this make me very nervous.
Fishtaco

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtaco http:///forum/thread/382990/death-to-fedex#post_3346264
I am nervous because they are day old chicks being shipped from the other side of the country, lot's can happen to the little girls between the time they leave and the time I take delivery. I have never had anything alive shipped to me either, but decided to risk it this once for the chicks I wanted. Threads like this make me very nervous.
Fishtaco
LOL....IMO you will be fine.....the holiday rush is over, and as I said earlier.....98% of my shipments have been great!!!
You will have to let us know how it goes though

gemmy

I have seen fish, small animals (hamsters, guinea pigs, and chinchillas) and birds delivered by couriers, and I can say I see no difference between them and Fed Ex. I have seen couriers with crushed boxes. They animals are still subjected to riding around in a van for hours. I don't think there is a best way to ship animals. I recommend hold at location.
I have a happy Fed Ex story though. I was working in a pet store near a Fed Ex hub and a Fed Ex delivery guy comes in frantic that he needs help with his delivery. I offer to help him, and come to find out he has 3 yellow tangs in a opened shipping box. He needed help to get fresh saltwater made in the hopes that they could at least make it to the destination alive. I got the water prepped and rebagged the fish. The tangs made it to their destination alive to some LFS.

deejeff442

a couple years ago i was at the fedex store in line.some idiot got a rattlesnake delivered through them.he was there picking up the snake.he actually opened the box in the store.people were looking in the box at this live rattlesnake.the store worker told him it was illegal to have this shipped to him.he said i ordered it online so i didnt know.i cant believe he opened it in the store and idiots were sticking their face in the box to see it.i wish it would have bit someone.
i have not had any problems with ordering live stock through fedex or ups.but i think like meowser i live in the country where we talk to the guys all the time so we might get special treatment.

S

smartorl

About the chicks, they will do very well. In twenty some years of ordering chick from Murray McMurray Hatchery, I have had three chicks arrive DOA. They are hardy little buggers and because they are packed right out of the egg (it's not unusual to even get some eggshells in your box where they were not done hatching), shipped according to size and strict time guidelines they do surprisingly well. The thing about them being shipped right out of the egg is that their yolk sack will keep them "fed" for approx three days. They are always held at the post office and you can literally hear them cheeping when you walk through the doors.

blackjacktang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///forum/thread/382990/death-to-fedex#post_3346269
I have seen fish, small animals (hamsters, guinea pigs, and chinchillas) and birds delivered by couriers, and I can say I see no difference between them and Fed Ex. I have seen couriers with crushed boxes. They animals are still subjected to riding around in a van for hours. I don't think there is a best way to ship animals. I recommend hold at location.
I have a happy Fed Ex story though. I was working in a pet store near a Fed Ex hub and a Fed Ex delivery guy comes in frantic that he needs help with his delivery. I offer to help him, and come to find out he has 3 yellow tangs in a opened shipping box. He needed help to get fresh saltwater made in the hopes that they could at least make it to the destination alive. I got the water prepped and rebagged the fish. The tangs made it to their destination alive to some LFS.
thats nice

S

smartorl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjacktang http:///forum/thread/382990/death-to-fedex#post_3346286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy
http:///forum/thread/382990/death-to-fedex#post_3346269
thats nice

Where they were purchased and put into a 20 gallon nano with a trigger and an eel........kidding, that was very nice.