decapitated peppermint shrimp

blackhavoc

Ok, this is weird. Last night I added a Orchid Dottyback, I know he's not responsible for it, but I woke up to one of my peppermint's decapitated, meat still in his body. My inverts are, 3 blue leg hermits, 2 turbo snails, and were 2 peppermint's, now its just one. How could this of happened? I've heard that if the calcium levels arent near 410 that they can die during a molt, but mine are at like 412. I dose it everyday, and check every other day. And his last molt was a week ago, kinda odd he would be ready again... Anyknow know whats up?

dburr

I've heard that if the calcium levels arent near 410 that they can die during a molt, but mine are at like 412.
If fact what they need is iodine to molt.
What else is in the tank?

blackhavoc

-=Hmm..it sounds like the dotty was hungry=-
Doubt it, he is the same size as the shrimp.
-=If fact what they need is iodine to molt.
What else is in the tank?=-
Do Iodine doses every day, along with calcium, and stro/moly every 4 days. Only have 3 small hermits, about 1/4 the size of the shrimp, 2 good size turbo's, and varius feather dusters, and bristle worms. Nothing that could of killed him.
-=Mantis hiding somewhere?=-
Nope, only a 5 gallon nanno, nothing else in there.

skirrby

wow thats alot of dosing for a 5 gallon.. i dont dose a thing in my 2.5 and everything is good.

nm reef

The new fish is often refered to as reef safe but is described as a carnivore...below is a brief description from a on-line source...
"The Orchid Dottyback, also known as the Fridmani Pseudochromis, Fridman's Dottyback, or Fridman's Pseudochromis is an excellent addition to most reef tanks. This gorgeous red/lavender colored fish has a wonderful personality in the aquarium and will surely become the aquarium favorite.
A 30 gallon or larger aquarium with numerous hiding places should be provided. It will tend to swim in the open after it has become acclimated to its new environment. It may occasionally chase smaller fish but will defend its hiding places from intruders. It will prey on pests such as small mantis shrimp and bristleworms, making this fish ideal for the reef aquarium. If more than one Pseudochromis will be maintained together in the aquarium, it is important to add them at the same time.
The diet consists of meaty foods including brine shrimp and prepared frozen foods."
Based on the information I've seen and the reported experience of hobbyists that have kept this fish I'd say its very likely that your new fish has a taste for fresh shrimp.

bang guy

Originally posted by dburr
If fact what they need is iodine to molt.

Actually they don't need Iodine nor Calcium to molt.
Dottybacks are notorious for killing fish or inverts that wander too close to their cave.

dburr

Often found in groups, this Cleaner Shrimp will set up a cleaning station on coral reefs or rubble, waiting for fish to come and be cleaned. It feeds on ectoparasites or dead tissue that it picks from the body and oral cavities/gills of these fish (e.g.; Tangs or Groupers) in the wild or in the aquarium. This also helps to protect the fish from contracting diseases and infections. Many fish value its services so highly that they will allow it to clean the inside of their mouths, and not harm it. Some fish, though, such as Hawkfish, Lionfish, and some predatory shrimp and crabs may eat the Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp. It will not tolerate copper or high levels of nitrates in the aquarium, but will require correct levels of iodine in the water to promote proper molting.
This came from Foster/Smith.
Behavior: The Lysmata amboinensis is generally peaceful toward other tank mates. Reef-safe. Many consider the Lysmata amboinensis a low-maintenance specimen. Not venomous. Scavenger, eats parasites & dead tissue. Scavenger that likes to sift through sand. Requires iodine for proper molting. All Cleaner Shrimp species prefer subdued lighting, plenty of rocky cover, nooks and crannies, molt every 3-8 weeks normally, consume most all foods in addition to cleaning, and are sensitive to fast changes in water chemistry, particularly salinity.
This is from another website.
Scavenger, eats parasites & dead tissue. Scavenger that likes to sift through sand. Be careful with copper-based medication and extreme nitrate levels. Requires iodine for proper molting.
Also a 3 rd website. All say need iodine for molting. Hmmmm...

bang guy

I understand why 95% of the saltwater community believes that Shrimp require Iodine to molt properly but unfortunately they are all wrong :)

bang guy

I've been trying to think of a good analogy.
Saying Shrimp require Iodine to molt is like saying Humans require an alarm clock to wake up.
In actuality, humans will wake up without the alarm, just earlier than they would have naturally.

jja

I used to have an orchid dotty and wish I never put him in my tank. While it is small, it killed 3 fish in my tank and I also had a decapitated fire shrimp about an hour after I put him in. I did not see the dotty do this but did see him go after other fish. I finally had to take almost all of my l/r out to get him and have not had anything similar happen since. About a year now.

blackhavoc

This seems to be very odd. Because he is sharing a hide with my other peppermint. He seems to prefer brine shrimp over flake, or pellet. So he might of killed the other. He sure is fun to watch though. He's been excavating his hides, he grabs a mouth full of sand, takes it to the front and spits it out. Kind of neat to watch. I'll keep an eye on him, I find it kind of hard to believe though, he is so little, compared to the peppermint's, he is about 3/4 their size. -=pic=-

Originally posted by BlackHavoc
I find it kind of hard to believe though, he is so little, compared to the peppermint's, he is about 3/4 their size. -=pic=-

ive personally seen a diadema pseudochromis that was less than a inch long kill a huge scarlet cleaner shrimp
so the size isnt a big factor its the personality of the fish
most of those pseudochromis like the fridmani (orchid dottyback) can be aggresive towards shrimp
i think its was the the dottyback

blackhavoc

whats funny is ha has left the other one alone. I wonder if the one he killed pissed him off or something... Might of come up behind him and grabbed him. then BLAMMO OFF WITH HIS HEAD! Thanks guys.