Deep Sand Bed in refugium

aztec reef

Well, you are the only one that knows the answer. As critters should be as abundant & as needed by your ecosystem's bioload..
Meaning that u need quite a few to keep the top 2" of sandbed surface turned. thus keeping it looking clean. Also critters carry nutrients from lr to sandbed constantly. You can see how deep your fauna goes by looking at the front of DT tank. Do u see some air bubbles in the upper part of sandbed? thats the aerobic part.
Too many sand sifters will increase dissolved oxygen levels in sandbed, thus changing the anoxic colonies to aerobic. making the sandbed a chemical sink.
That said, it is crucial to know the microbial abundance & energy pathways of your tank and it's nitrogen cycles.(i.e. facultative anaerobes,Anaerobic heterotrophs,Anaerobic respiration,Aerobic heterotrophs ect.)
A DSB is dependant on depth of dissolved oxygen/gasses.....

aztec reef

Originally Posted by GeoJ
http:///forum/post/2761013
Knowledge is key without it both deep and shallow sand beds fail.
I would like to hear how long some of you have kept DSB.
The reason I ask is in Coral Mag Oct/Nov 2007 Shimek and Calfo Try to avoid saying that DSB do not buildup waste then crash but in the end Calfo said that an independent DSB is best because you can disconnect it if it goes south. A shallow reef sand bed takes about three years to crash if you don’t stir it, sooner if hydrogen sulfide gas enters the water in large amounts. They had attributed this to one of the causes of old tank syndrome. So how many people have kept DSB over three years and if you have how did you set it up.
Thanks
GeoJ
The only way a tank would crash, is if u disturb the sandbed vigorously..thus releasing all chemicals/impurities/nitrogen gases/ammonia and the whole kit and kapudlo..(toxins) into water column..
I have 3 original DSB's (3 tanks) 10 1/2 years is the oldest, followed by a 3year old and a 2 year old...
No tank crashes around here..

GO DEEP OR GO HOME!

aztec reef

Originally Posted by tdog7879
http:///forum/post/2761018
Hope i don't have to many beacause at when the lights go out the top of my DSB has millions of little critters (tiny snails worms copods etc). Do you think thats a problem?
Not at all.
If u like u can send them to me.. i collect them.

tdog7879

Aztec Reef;2761230 said:
Well, you are the only one that knows the answer. As critters should be as abundant & as needed by your ecosystem's bioload..
Meaning that u need quite a few to keep the top 2" of sandbed surface turned. thus keeping it looking clean. Also critters carry nutrients from lr to sandbed constantly. You can see how deep your fauna goes by looking at the front of DT tank. Do u see some air bubbles in the upper part of sandbed? thats the aerobic part.
Too many sand sifters will increase dissolved oxygen levels in sandbed, thus changing the anoxic colonies to aerobic. making the sandbed a chemical sink.
That said, it is crucial to know the microbial abundance & energy pathways of your tank and it's nitrogen cycles.(i.e. facultative anaerobes,Anaerobic heterotrophs,Anaerobic respiration,Aerobic heterotrophs ect.)
A DSB is dependant on depth of dissolved oxygen/gasses.....Fauna?? what if you do see air bubbles in the upper part of the DT is that good or bad? Also at nite time my SB is covered with tiny snails is that bad or good? Is a yellow face goby good or bad For DSB

mr_x

Originally Posted by Aztec Reef
http:///forum/post/2761230
Well, you are the only one that knows the answer. .....
everyone
knows the answer to shallow beds and bare bottom tanks...THEY CAN'T CRASH!
as stated above, the only way i would try one is if i could disconnect it in the event of a meltdown.
no disrespect meant.

sly

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2762979
how the heck is moving live rock in a shallow sand bed or bare bottom tank going to cause a crash? I dont understand the supposed mechanism. please explain.
It isn't. There are far more processes at work within a tank than just simple photosynthetic and symbiotic anaerobic relationships within the live rock ... In other words, if you shift the system in one place, it will adapt in another as bacteria colonizes everywhere it gets the chance.
Nitrobacter and nitrosomer bacteria are not photosynthetic organisms... moving them does not cause a sudden tank failure or significant amounts of bacterial death. The worst you can do is completely eliminate their water flow and disrupt the colony, i.e. disrupt their cellular respiration. At that point the bacteria will simply relocate elsewhere within the tank until it's biological needs are met. On a microscopic level, yes, there will be some death. But not enough to upset the entire system.
Despite any logical or theoretical debate which will inevitably follow... let me offer one bit to the argument; evidence
. In an 8 year period I have relied on live rock for the majority of my tank's filtration. I have moved this live rock either within the tank or completely (as in relocating the tank) no less than 5 times. I have never had any fluctuation of ammonia, nitrate, nitrite or pH levels after a tank move. My energy flux must be sufficient...

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Sly
http:///forum/post/2763908
It isn't. There are far more processes at work within a tank than just simple photosynthetic and symbiotic anaerobic relationships within the live rock ... In other words, if you shift the system in one place, it will adapt in another as bacteria colonizes everywhere it gets the chance.
Nitrobacter and nitrosomer bacteria are not photosynthetic organisms... moving them does not cause a sudden tank failure or significant amounts of bacterial death. The worst you can do is completely eliminate their water flow and disrupt the colony, i.e. disrupt their cellular respiration. At that point the bacteria will simply relocate elsewhere within the tank until it's biological needs are met. On a microscopic level, yes, there will be some death. But not enough to upset the entire system.
Despite any logical or theoretical debate which will inevitably follow... let me offer one bit to the argument; evidence
. In an 8 year period I have relied on live rock for the majority of my tank's filtration. I have moved this live rock either within the tank or completely (as in relocating the tank) no less than 5 times. I have never had any fluctuation of ammonia, nitrate, nitrite or pH levels after a tank move. My energy flux must be sufficient...

I just wanted to hear his thoery behind it, I know its not possible to crash a tank by moving rock around. unless you disturb a DSB in the process then its the sand bed not the LR causing the crash.
I myself move LR around often, and have moved manytanks in and around the house from one house to another. and not once has moving all the rock in a tank caused a crash, or even an imbalance. all my expirience leads me to believe this "rock relocation caused crash" is impossible.
I tore my reef down 100% to catch a pair of clown fish. if moving rock was going to cause a tank to crash that would have because well all know once you move around your rockwork you never get it back the way you had it.