dehumidifier water question...

mebigloser

Chemistry question...
Is it safe to use dehumidifer water to mix with your salt mix?
What could be the side effects?

gatorcsm

Any particulate that gets caught up in the dehumidifier could be in the condensed water... Really depends on whats in your air.
Conceptually, it could/would be perfectly be fine, but anything floating around (cleaning agents, etc.) could be caught up in the condensate.

nm reef

A few years ago another site had a very long thread about this topic...seems to me the majority felt the risk of copper problems and the potential for introducing toxins were major problems. I can't remember all the specifics...but as i remember the thread most folks felt it wasn't a good idea.:cool:

jeepboy

I thought the condensed water only comes in contact with the exterior of the condensor fins which I think are aluminum. If this is correct, does trace amounts of aluminum pose a risk for using the water in a quarantine tank?

bang guy

Aluminum will quickly kill Leather Corals & other softies. I'm not sure what it does to other anumals.

rbmount

Plus all the air fresheners, windex, bathroom cleaners, etc. that float around your house can wind up there.

jeepboy

Thanks, I had a feeling aluminum would be bad but had to ask anyway. I also didn't think about air freshners and my wife does use them. Guess I'll just keep pouring the dehum. water down the drain.

fishman830

hmm how about if you used titanium instead of copper or alluminum.. but then again i bet a Ro/DI would be a loads cheaper