DeMartini's 14G BioCube

yearofthenick

You've got some really awesome looking stuff in there! I recently moved to the bay area... San Ramon/Dublin. Where do you go to get your livestock? There's a big SW LFS in Dublin but it's kinda sad... a lot of dead fish in the tanks... like 30 cleaner shrimp in a 6" x 6" tank... they have huge bins of live rock but no one knows if the rock is cured or not.... basically I don't want to buy from them. I've also heard of Connie's SW Fish in Castro Valley but I've never been.
So where do you go to get your stuff?
Also, is there a wholesaler somewhere? There's got to be one somewhere in SFO. I used to drive down to LA to get stuff (also because I had family in LA). There's like a 100,000 gallon wholesaler about a stones throw from LAX airport. Truly amazing stuff in there... bubble tips for $9, clown fish for $5 each... deals so good you'd be better off paying the gas to get down there than to buy it in a retail store.

A

aj107

I know this thread is more of a picture post...
but I wanted to ask... what are you feeding your tank?
I saw you upgraded to a custom light hood... which sure gives all those zoo's & shrooms a wicked jump off the screen colour... but what are you dosing your tank with?
Im running the same 14 g Biocube... and have been building up the coral load over the last little while... just curious as to what others are using to help keep everyone fed & happy!

Lauren your tank amazes me like always! Beautiful pictures which I could get my camera to do this :(!!!! do you buy these coral online or at a LFS?

demartini

Originally Posted by water_wako
http:///forum/post/2697185
What additives do you add to your water, if you don't mind me asking?
Plus, I am looking forward to the FTS. :)
I add calcium and dKH buffer when needed... other than that water changes take care of the rest
Originally Posted by YearOfTheNick
http:///forum/post/2700286
You've got some really awesome looking stuff in there! I recently moved to the bay area... San Ramon/Dublin. Where do you go to get your livestock? There's a big SW LFS in Dublin but it's kinda sad... a lot of dead fish in the tanks... like 30 cleaner shrimp in a 6" x 6" tank... they have huge bins of live rock but no one knows if the rock is cured or not.... basically I don't want to buy from them. I've also heard of Connie's SW Fish in Castro Valley but I've never been.
So where do you go to get your stuff?
Also, is there a wholesaler somewhere? There's got to be one somewhere in SFO. I used to drive down to LA to get stuff (also because I had family in LA). There's like a 100,000 gallon wholesaler about a stones throw from LAX airport. Truly amazing stuff in there... bubble tips for $9, clown fish for $5 each... deals so good you'd be better off paying the gas to get down there than to buy it in a retail store.
you must be talking about aquarium concepts... i go there some times. I don't buy much for my tank anymore, but my favorite place is New Alameda Aquatics in Alameda.... the owner is really cool and gives great deals on rare zoas. The lucky gold fish in Oakland is also a pretty good place. if you are willing to dish put a lot of money then Atlantis Aquarium in Union City is the best!!! they have the nicest stuff, but i can't afford the corals there.
There is a wholesaler at SFO, but i don't know much about it. I know that a member here (ReefForBrains) buys his stuff from them.
Originally Posted by AJ107

http:///forum/post/2702285
I know this thread is more of a picture post...
but I wanted to ask... what are you feeding your tank?
I saw you upgraded to a custom light hood... which sure gives all those zoo's & shrooms a wicked jump off the screen colour... but what are you dosing your tank with?
Im running the same 14 g Biocube... and have been building up the coral load over the last little while... just curious as to what others are using to help keep everyone fed & happy!
I feed ORAglo to my fish... I feed cyclopeeze and mysis to my corals.
I dose my tank with calcium and dKH buffer when needed.
good luck with your tank!
Originally Posted by KevinTheShrimp
http:///forum/post/2703837
Lauren your tank amazes me like always! Beautiful pictures which I could get my camera to do this :(!!!! do you buy these coral online or at a LFS?
THANKS!!! =) I don't buy corals online. Most of my corals are from new alameda aquatics.

I love your clam. I just purchased one from my LFS...it's about the same color a little bit different, it's my first clam...its under 150w of MH and I was just wondering how long does it take for it to usually open up all the way?

demartini

It depends if the clam likes where you put it. Just give it a few days to settle down. If it's not opening up all the way, I would try to find a different spot it might like.

yearofthenick

Lauren, I went to "Wet Pets Aquarium" today in Dublin and it looked like a crime scene in there. They hadn't cleaned any of their tanks in months, and half of their fish were dead... most of the coral was skeletal because everything was under 3-year old powercompacts. You also know it's a bad place when the store is carpeted... a carpeted fish store???

It sucks that the good stores are so far away from me. I think I'm going to take a trip down to New Alameda Aquatics tomorrow - their website is especially impressive. By the way, did you hear that Atlantis Aquatics in Union City gives you $25 off your purchase if you can prove that you live far away? Pretty sweet deal, although I still don't think I would take the drive

demartini

Originally Posted by YearOfTheNick
http:///forum/post/2706337
Lauren, I went to "Wet Pets Aquarium" today in Dublin and it looked like a crime scene in there. They hadn't cleaned any of their tanks in months, and half of their fish were dead... most of the coral was skeletal because everything was under 3-year old powercompacts. You also know it's a bad place when the store is carpeted... a carpeted fish store???

It sucks that the good stores are so far away from me. I think I'm going to take a trip down to New Alameda Aquatics tomorrow - their website is especially impressive. By the way, did you hear that Atlantis Aquatics in Union City gives you $25 off your purchase if you can prove that you live far away? Pretty sweet deal, although I still don't think I would take the drive

I have never been to Wet Pets Aquarium. You live close Aquarium Concepts, which is an ok LFS.... They carry TONS of cool fish and common soft corals.
How did you like New Alameda Aquatics? I hope Steve helped you when you went! He's the best!! Did you get anything?
I wonder if Atlantis considers San Mateo far away lol I have to pay $4 to cross the stupid bridge to get there! How did you find out about their $25 discount?

blazin2k6

AMAZING PHOTOS AS ALWAYS.WOW WOW WOW. Did you grow those nuclear greens from a frag or you bought a colony like that ? i think i sense a rich girl.LOL. Awesome as always :)