DeMartini's 9 gallon diary

demartini

I have decided to start a new tank. Let me know what you think of it.
I'm thinking of adding one awesome expensive fish and some bright and colorful corals.... any ideas of what I should put in this little tank??
The tank is awesome. I was looking for a small tank, but I wanted something different from a cube. I think I can be really creative with this tank. Here it is!
"Introducing the Finnex, M Tank 9r or (niner). This special project has been underway at finnex for a long time. The Unique side view design with integrated wet/dry rain filter chamber is the smallest M tank you can get. Featuring a Cell Cast Acrylic display, and black acrylic canopy, this is a very sexy aquarium.
Capacity & dimensions: 9 gallon, 20.25" x 9.75" x 19.25" (H)
Material: domestic 1/4" cell cast acrylic
Lighting: Fan cooled 24W x 2 power compact fluorescent + LED retrofit with moisture resistant lens.
Filtration: Built-in 3 layers rain trays wet/dry filter with 211 gph pump"

demartini

no, I found out that I can't really make a cold water tank that holds strawberry anemones in a nano, so I'm holding off on that for a while.

xokarmaxo

I'm afraid that I'm not experienced enough to offer you any suggestions, but I CAN say that I am looking forward to what you DO decide to do to it!

Please keep this thread updated with your progress!

fedukeford

wow! that tanks looks nice empty, can't wait to see what it'll look like filled. For a nice small fish, how about a panda gody, or helfrenchi firefish?
Feduke

24#1

that tank looks cool,do an anemone with a clownfish do something like the heteractis magnifica,[magnificent anemone] with a clown,just a thought

bruder

Originally Posted by 24#1
that tank looks cool,do an anemone with a clownfish do something like the heteractis magnifica,[magnificent anemone] with a clown,just a thought
Not sure if this guy puts out enough light for an anemone, but I agree the clown/anemone combo is one of the most fascinating in the hobby. I think doing a fishless tank with some cool inverts could be fun. Just tossing it out there.

30-xtra high

Originally Posted by 24#1
nope, anemones can't go in a 9.
dematini, that tank looks really cool, and i really like the design, is this the tank you were talking about before for your lil bro?
i think you should get some sort of shrimp goby, and then some cool inverts and nice corals, whatever you do i'm sure it'll look really awesome, i wonder if this thread'll get a billion posts like your 12 diary :notsure: .

demartini

I know I love the way it looks!
I may get a fire fish, but I'm thinking about getting this little guy.

I'm just afraid of paying $150 and then he dies a week later... I'm not sure I want to take that chance.
maybe I'll make it an all zoanthid tank...
Jessica- the tank is a little pricey... it' $260
30-xtra- originally I was going to buy my brother a tank and stock it, but then I realized I didn't want to spend that much on him lol I told him I would buy the tank, but he has to buy everything else, so he said he's going to save up money for it... his tank will be up here after this one!
Thanks everyone for your kind words!!

gharner

good luck with this tank, it looks great already! haha. are you going to upgrade the lights or leave them as they are? also are you going to leave the filter system as is ? i just got into the hobby a few months ago and just got my first fish, but i am already wanting to plan another tank. ( my parents arent too fond of the idea )

ps. keep us posted

nygel

yeah, i want one of those prawn gobies too, btu alot of money for such a small thing with a good chance of dieing :(. I'm fooling around with a few sub-10 gallon ideas at the moment too. right now I'm leaning towards a panda goby/ pom pom crab/ sexy shrimp coral tank. it may not be a panda goby though... dunno yet, still thinking bout it, but definetly a clown goby of some sort.

demartini

Originally Posted by gharner
good luck with this tank, it looks great already! haha. are you going to upgrade the lights or leave them as they are? also are you going to leave the filter system as is ? i just got into the hobby a few months ago and just got my first fish, but i am already wanting to plan another tank. ( my parents arent too fond of the idea )

ps. keep us posted
I think I'm going to leave the lights alone. I'm getting halides for my 14g and I think that 48w over a 9 gallon is good enough. I haven't decided what I want to do with the filter. I was thinking about turning it into a fuge, but I don't think I want to add a light to the back.

nudilove

At the college I took classes at for Aquaculture we had cold water systems (being on the california coast we liked to honor our locals!) anyway, we had strawberry anemones. They are VERY pretty, but OMG they spread EVERYWHERE, I mean we had them in the sumps, in the hornshark tanks, in the urchin spawning tanks, it was AMAZING where the little boogers would show up, however for color and beauty, nothing compares to a strawberry!

demartini

I know they are gorgeous! How did your teacher get the anemones? I have no clue how I would be able to get some... I have to become friends with some divers! I know that the Monterey Bay Aquarium gives them to people who intend to use them for educational purposes... I just went there last month and they have so many of the strawberry anemones that I'm sure they wouldn't miss one rock of them lol they have more strawberry anemones than anything else there!