Derasa Clam

meowzer

•Calcium: Calcium is the main building block for clams and should be present in the water at levels of at least 280 mg/L for growth to occur. More rapid, natural growth is seen when calcium is in the range of 400-480 mg/L.
•Strontium: Strontium is incorporated in the shell along with calcium and should also be provided for optimum growth.
•Iodine: The addition of iodine to the aquarium will also enhance growth and color in giant clams.
•Magnesium: Magnesium aids in maintaining proper calcium levels and in the formation of skeletal material in clams
•Nitrate: They require some nitrogen for proper growth. Nitrate can be added if levels are extremely low, but be careful as nitrates should never exceed 2 mg/L.

gill again68

Ok as I dont test for 3 of the 5 is it critical? You know which 3. Im guessing that my salt mix is keeping the mag and stro as well as iodine up.

meowzer

I have a test kit for magnesium...you should get one too.....I am no chemist...which it seems we need to be sometimes in this hobby LOL...BUT..I have read that the magnesium levels and calcium levels are largely related.....it says as much in what I posted above....
what does your calcium test???

gill again68

Im going to do some water changes to bring it all back to good numbers. I dont think it will take much. Going to go slow with that. Need a WC anyway. I would blame it on the new 2 part but seeing how I am stupid its really hard to tell which one made the problem with the high cal and alk.

nycbob

i hv never tested for mag, and i got 6 clams in my reef. with proper water change, everything gets replenished.

meowzer

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/3296184
i hv never tested for mag, and i got 6 clams in my reef. with proper water change, everything gets replenished.
HMMM...that was one of the test kits it was suggested by someone here (I forget) to have if you have reef and clams

another waste of money I guess :(

florida joe

Meowzer what in your opinion (as an expert in the field) is the most important thing in keeping a clam healthy and happy