Desperate Housewife taking care of Husbands' Tanks

socal57che

Originally Posted by USMCWifey
http:///forum/post/2487468
Oh! And yes, I do check the salinity and top it off with water when it evaporates. Is that bad?
Topping off is necessary. The key is to top off while maintaining proper salinity/SG. When you add water to compensate for evaperation use RO freshwater since salt does not evaporate. If your SG is a little low then top off with a little premixed saltwater. Best to mix saltwater 24 hrs prior to adding to your tank. If your SG is a little high then at the next water change add some RO freshwater in place of some of the saltwater mix.
Remember to use RO filtered water (like what the veding machines outside your grocer dispenses) for top offs and salt mixes, not tapwater.

usmcwifey

I always check the salinity prior to adding any RO water to the tank. If it's high, which normally it would be from evaporation like you said, I will add straight RO water. If it's right where it needs to be or low, I would be a little confused as to how-- but in that case, I would usually just do a water change anyway. I didn't know if adding the RO water without bringing it up to temperature would have that large of an effect on the tank. I'm adding small amounts, usually a gallon or so. Is that something to avoid?

socal57che

I don't bring mine to temp either. I add small amounts and watch the thermometer. Years of this without an issue. Occasionally PH gets checked before adding, but not as often as I should.

1journeyman

http:///forum/post/2487465
The chemistry lesson explains a lot. I never quite understood it entirety, it was just much easier to smile and nod after hearing about this stuff for hours. Actually journeyman-- I remember reading some of your threads when my husband was home-- slowburn22? I used to sit next to him and whine about how often he was on this thing... now I know why!!! But that's him. Anyway, it was very helpful and makes complete sense as to why everything else has dropped drastically (the ammonia is back to normal) except for the nitrates. I was very confused last night when I had ran the tests!! I did find some low flow areas where there is limited room between the glass and the LR and it somewhat creates this harvest ground for crap to accumulate and rot. I used my suction/syphon thing (again, I don't know the lingo!) to get in the sand really well and clean it out. I think the way he set up the LR has created a few of these, so I may have to look into moving some stuff around. I'm sure he won't be crazy about this, but I think he'd rather have an ugly living tank than a pretty dead one. I'll do another water change tonight and let you know what my tests are reading. Thank you guys so much for the help!!!

It's hard with my husband to be gone, having an infant by myself, working, and keeping 3 tanks healthy... I just know how much these means to him-- it's the least I could do. We appreciate the thoughts, prayers, and the acknowledgements. He'll be home sometime in May (keep your fingers crossed!) so don't be surprised when you get a personal THANK YOU for saving his tanks!

Tell him hello for me.

usmcwifey

Okay.. the update. Everything has stabalized, no drastic changes or anything. The nitrates are dropping, but very gradually which I somewhat expected. I'm still wanting to surprise my husband with an addition to the tank, possibly a different coral of some sort? Anybody have a favorite??

usmcwifey

the xenia is no better, no worse. They seemed to have expanded a tiny bit more, but not by much. I've only seen them with the "moon light" on so I'm sure they may be bigger during the day. My budget... nothing crazy but I'm willing to spend a decent chunk on something that he'd like & that he could frag later on.

socal57che

http:///forum/post/2493899
the xenia is no better, no worse. They seemed to have expanded a tiny bit more, but not by much. I've only seen them with the "moon light" on so I'm sure they may be bigger during the day.
I had some xenia get pretty messed up when a rock fell. Face down in the sand for I don't know how long. I was sure it was done for. It looked real bad for a long time. (weeks) Not only did it survive, but is now my best looking specimen.
As far as an addition, I like frogspawn. Was going to buy a chunk, but found a really nice torch I couldn't live without. I noticed you have a lion, so if someone knows if the lion will pose an issue with frogspawn please chime in. (I have zero experience with lions)
ps...frogspawn will be next.
What is your current stock list? (fish and coral)

Where are are you stationed at? I'm a Marine stationed at cherry point. I mught be able to help. I've been in the hobby for about 10 years now.

usmcwifey

cherry point is right down the road from me. I'm toward the back gate on 172!!! If you could find time to help, that would be so awesome!!!!!!!!

usmcwifey

That's a relief that you said the xenia came back strong because mine is doing better, but still look like stumps. Ummm... honestly, I don't know the names of all the corals in the tank... if I could figure out how to load a picture on this thing, I could show you. I know I have frogspawn already.. I know that for fact. We have lots of different polyps & mushrooms (different assortments), frogspawn, gsp, candycane, featherduster, hammer, xenia, spaghetti leather, and I don't know what else. As far as fish... we have a blue or green chromis (it looks like a combination of both), 2 cardinals, dwarf lionfish, and a blennie. I'm not really wanting to add to the fish, more corals I guess. In his frag tank, he has only 1 clown... I think he needs a friend. His wife committed suicide shortly after he left and I found her on the floor. I'm assuming she was depressed. Any more suggestions or favorites? I want something with some good color that is relatively easy to frag.
If someone can tell me how to upload a picture, I'd be happy to. Oh, and I see the "attach files" down toward the bottom of the page, but it keeps telling me that my file is too big. Not really sure how to downsize it...

horsin1963

First off let me say god bless you and you husband, from a retired disabled vet.
I have found that the emerald crab loves to dine on that bubble algae. they also love everything else that you dont want growing in your tank. they also will clean up after a over feeding. great little critters. The clan here has given some very sound advise. I love reading the articleshttps://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/images/smilies/
ffee.gif
. I havent been with this listing very long, but I have been in this hobbie for a very very long time. I lived and was stationed in Hi. for four and a half years. had a great looking tank then I was very sad when I had to move back to the mainland and sell my stuff. I know how he feels about his tank. I am shure you are doing a great job with them.. One thing I wanted to ask. You stated that you live on base, I think, well my question is what is the water source that you a using to replenish the tanks? No one has talked about testing water prior to adding it to the tanks. I heard of someone in ths posting buying water.. test it, they say its filtered dont take a chance on buying water that was filtered in old filters, if your on a well.. test it, just because you have good water this week dont think you will have the same next never know what the guy next door is doing and having go into the ground water, if its your own RO/DI water make shure you have good filters. If your on base using tap water...DONT the chemicals they put into that water... well I wont go there..... well god bless and good luck.. Brian

socal57che

http:///forum/post/2494758
If someone can tell me how to upload a picture, I'd be happy to. Oh, and I see the "attach files" down toward the bottom of the page, but it keeps telling me that my file is too big. Not really sure how to downsize it...

First make a copy, then open it and resize with microsoft paint. Don't forget step one so you don't mess up an original.

usmcwifey

Okay, well I must be an idiot because I keep trying to resize the pictures I have in microsoft paint, and it's either not making it small enough or it's making it tiny... no inbetween. Am I crazy!?
Another question... does digging or messing with the sand in an aquarium make the nitrates spike or anything like that? Only reason why I'm asking is because I've really started to limit the food I give them and I did another water change today and really got into the sand to get any wasted food out of the tank and my nitrates went back up. I've only been feeding them not even a quarter of what I did and using this huge medicine dropper thing to get out any pieces of shrimp or scallop the lionfish isn't eating to prevent the decay... any ideas??

paintballer768

Download a program called Irfanview. Open the picture in it, go to Image, Resize, and type in how big you want it. Its a free program that gets the job done.
I trying to decifer what kind of lighting he has, and judging by that livestock list, probably nothing too light demanding to stay on the safe side of things. Maybe a bubble coral, or a really cool color morph of zoanthids. Theres a billion different choices, and both shouldnt run you too high.

paintballer768

http:///forum/post/2499877
Okay, well I must be an idiot because I keep trying to resize the pictures I have in microsoft paint, and it's either not making it small enough or it's making it tiny... no inbetween. Am I crazy!?
Another question... does digging or messing with the sand in an aquarium make the nitrates spike or anything like that? Only reason why I'm asking is because I've really started to limit the food I give them and I did another water change today and really got into the sand to get any wasted food out of the tank and my nitrates went back up. I've only been feeding them not even a quarter of what I did and using this huge medicine dropper thing to get out any pieces of shrimp or scallop the lionfish isn't eating to prevent the decay... any ideas??
About the sand, it could stir up decaying matter and raise the nitrates. I also stir up the bottom like crazy to get the most garbage out during my water changes that I can, so youre not alone. Just clean out the filter media every so often and you shouldnt have too many ammonia/nitrite problems, unless you overfeed or something dies.

halostalker

God Bless You and your Husband
Yea if u never stir ur LS then once u start it can spike ur Nitrate but if i were u i would start stirring it just to slowly remove all that gunk u have from ur fish
. SO far so good doin a great job some pics would be nice=P
Keep Up the great work both for ur tank and ur child=P
P.S. i need get myself a wife like you
, just so i can have some help with my hobby's(saltwater reef, reptiles and other animals) it's really nice ur putting so much effort into the tank

acrylic51

Agree with the sand bed....needs to be maintenanced during water changes, and doesn't destroy the sand bed....I'd try to limit feeding to a min, and keep up with the water changes.......

digitydash

Try photobucket . com no resizing needed,Then just post the image code in your post and it will show up when posted